Daytona Boots

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Anyone wearing Daytona boots at the moment? How are they? Likes/dislikes?

I want something other than the normal SIDIs that everyone wears and the Daytona ones look pretty good. I'm considering the Daytona Gore-Tex Boots Spirit XCR ones in particular, but any comments as to the brand in general would be helpful. I see police wearing them so they must be pretty good but I thought I would also check the wisdom of the forum. ;)

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have the Daytona boots. But i have the A* SMX-4 and i wore tham for 2000 miles in 2 weeks and they are super comfortable. I forgot i was even wearing them. I even went out one night wearing them and i didnt even realise it

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I thought they were like $800 USD?

Ah... Maybe that's why. I know they have one pair that runs about £600 :eek: but most of the rest are around the same price as the comparable SIDI or Arlen Ness boots. Maybe they only sell the expensive ones in the US. They could be branded as something else as well, I guess.

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
The Daytona Security Evos are one of the few boots I've found on the market that have a rigid, hinged structure made specifically to keep your foot from twisting in ways it shouldn't. I have come to appreciate that feature after having broken my ankle in a low-speed track fall where the bike twisted my ankle in a way it wasn't meant to go.

I haven't worn them myself because they're not made in my size. Neither are these alternatives that also have such a hinged structure, which you might consider:
-Dainese Axial (very nice boot)
-Puma V1000 (my hubby has them - ugly but functional)
-Gaerne GR-S.
-Sidi Vortice.
-Sidi Crossfire SRS. Super-protective, super-quality (my hubby has the previous-gen Flexforce, and they have held up to many crashes, dirt and supermoto, and a lot of miles, and are still sturdy and in great shape).

Because I have teeny feet, I got a set of the first-gen Supertechs. They have protected my feet well in a few track falls and in general dirt craziness, but they're falling apart. A+ in protection and size offering, D in build quality.

I have one gripe with Daytona:
Daytona Lady Star GTX
"What's the biggest problem most women riders have? Right. Touching the ground."

No, the biggest problem I have is not finding decent protective gear that fits. I can hold the bike up with one foot on the ground; I'd rather skip the high heel and include the stiff inner boot (which the Lady Star doesn't have).

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I can confirm that the Dainese Torque boots (new generation Axials) are very nice and comfortable! I simply love mine. I bought them after my left foot got twisted 90 degrees out of socket (training accident, not motorcycle=P). After nine months it still hasn't healed 100% so I was keen on some proper protection;)

Last edited:

flamewulfe

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Daytona Boots are bad ass. I won't be wearing them either. I can't wait to see everyone. I wasn't sure if I could make it, but I just got off work. I booked my hotel at Daytona Bahama House today. The prices were amazing, and they were right on the water. Anyone else staying there?

Daytona Beach hotels ocean front Bahama House

Are you coming for Bike Week? Orlando's not that far away!

My friend that races Supermoto on his BMW 650 just got himself a pair of SIDIs for about $500 . . . apparently, everything on them is replaceable, he says they're real comfortable, and supposedly they have NO break-in period . . . they do, however, squeak like crazy when he walks everywhere he goes . . . which is everywhere. He track tested them, took a few spills, they held up admirably on dirt and concrete. Just my $0.02. Personally, I'm probably going to go for a more budget pair of Frank Thomas' more casual rider style from Cycle Gear.

Last edited:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Oxtar is another brand to look at. My brother just got a used pair for $100....retail at $270.

That's what I have: Oxtars. There's "hinges" around the ankles, and they do squeak like a rabid mouse with a bad meth habit. You will definitely not sneak up on anyone with the stealth of a ninja wearing these. But, they're protective and comfortable for riding. In terms of walking comfort, I wouldn't want to walk farther than out to the garage in them though, so I leave my good shoes at work.

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I somehow missed this thread the first time around. I have a pair of Frey Daytona Road Star GTX which have served me well since 2002. They are extremely confortable, very warm in the winter, not too hot in the summer and being Gortex lined, very waterproof. They are pricey, but I would not hesitate buying another pair.

Another great thing about these boots, and the reason I spent the money on them to begin with is that they come in true wide sizes. For those of us with wide feet, this is a blessing.

John

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I have: Oxtars. There's "hinges" around the ankles, and they do squeak like a rabid mouse with a bad meth habit.

This description never ceases to make me laugh out loud. Thanks for bringing it out again, Fizzy! Oh, and it's completely true, too.