electrical problem - tail light won't work

lvjoneser

Reaction score
Visit site
I need a little help. The tail light on my 05 FZ6 stopped working. The brake light and turn signals still function and I have checked the fuse. Anybody have any ideas?

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need a little help. The tail light on my 05 FZ6 stopped working. The brake light and turn signals still function and I have checked the fuse. Anybody have any ideas?

Have you checked the bulb? (You did not mention it?)It has two filaments in it and one can go bad before the other. The tail light filament is on always, where the brake is on only temp.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Apart from the bulb, the fuse, under RH side pod or there is a connector under the LH pod (towards the back) which runs off to the back of the bike, you could probably check this connection or disconnect and check you have 12V here. BTW I'm going on the wiring of my 07 S2 euro spec bike.
Good luck :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
If you`re license plate light works, then it`s your bulb. If not, it`s the tail fuse... if not the fuse, you have a smoked wire.

Good luck.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
If your flashers are working then it's not the fuse. The fue also runs the tail light, but not the brake light. I sould check the bulb, it's a dual filiment bulb and it is possiable to have a brake light and not a tail light.

lvjoneser

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who responded. I should have said in my first post that I checked the bulb and it looked fine. After reading your comments I went ahead and replaced the bulb and everything worked. I inspected the old bulb again and still couldn't see anything wrong with it until I used a magnifying glass and found not one, but two very tiny breaks in the filament. Time for new glasses I guess. Any way, thanks again.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Simply "looking" at electrical issues can't really help one properly diagnose an issue. Go get yourself a multi meter. They are usully a life saver and the best tool for tracking down electrical issues.

Glad it was just a bulb!

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Simply \"looking\" at electrical issues can't really help one properly diagnose an issue. Go get yourself a multi meter. They are usully a life saver and the best tool for tracking down electrical issues.

Glad it was just a bulb!

Absolutely! A multimeter is a cheap tool that will allow you to save $ and trouble shoot alot of electrical issues.