best tires for grip?

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys lookin at potentially upgrading my tires for a softer compound with better grip. Not too worried about having to replace them more frequently as a result of increased wear, just wondering what anyone has used/is using that they would recommend to provide additional traction and more confidence in the twisties....thanks!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont have too much experence on this issue as im still on my first set of tires. But i would recommend a muli-compound tire. So you can have good tread wear yet have grip in the courners. Just my $0.02 now someone with more experence can step in and correct me

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
road legal slicks? last afew hundred miles if ur lucky but man the knee would be down constantly hehe.

My mate has Bridgestone BT012's on his ninja i think and he rates them highly, think he gets 3000 miles to a rear

B

bluenova

I have the duel compound Pirelli Diablo Corsa's it's a fantastic tire. I can't say yet how long they last, but so far they are holding up very well, no signs of cupping and that's doing motorway commutes every day.

Last edited by a moderator:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Sport touring tires I like for their grip are the Conti Road attacks and the BT021s. The latter need some extra time to get into temp though. The pirelli stradas are better than the stock ones too, but not near the first two IMO

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
I used Michelin Pilot Powers on my R6. I loved the feel of them for cornering. I got about 5,500 miles before they got down to the wear bars.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
You can slightly increase your traction by dropping your tire-pressure by 3-4 PSI. They will wear-out way faster, your top speed will decrease and your fuel-mileage will suffer.

Increasing your tire-pressure by 3-4 PSI will do the opposite for the most part, but you'll be in for a bumpy ride!!

-WARNING-

Many super qualifier tires are poor in the rain. They skid and hydroplane without hesitation. Be warned; some sportbike tires are inefficient in the rain. Most pro riders will have two sets of tires for either rain or dry pavement.

One set of tires I really liked was the Bridgestone Battlax BT016. They're not terribly expensive, work well in the rain, have a Z speed rating and come stock on ZX-14's!!

Here's an article about them.
Bridgestone BT016 Reviews and Bridgestone Tire Reviews at JC Motors.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know how they compare to better tires, but it's light and day between the Pilot Road 2's and the stock tire. It was immediate even(I still took it easy to break them em though). As soon as I pulled out of the place I had them installed everything seemed -much- more crisp.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Michelin pilot powers are awesome for serious sport riding whilst still remaining reasonably durable, and Michelin pilot road 2ct are a great compromise...almost as much side grip as the powers once they are warm, but a lot more durable, and better in the wet.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot Power or Pilot Power 2CT. The 2CT's are softer on the outer tire edge, but both will stick like glue.

I've been getting about 4,500 miles out of my rear tire with the regular Powers. About double that on the front.

Just switched to my first pair of the 2CT's so I can't give a mileage estimate yet.

Jake

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Try and get a set of pilot road 2s. i went to rms but they didnt have any so i got the roadsmarts. they are doing good so far. I can corner as hard as I want and there is no slipping.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have pilot road 2CT and I think they are a great tire :thumbup: generally a sport tire is what you would be looking for if you want to do twisties in dry conditions (if milage doesn't matter).
You can see a comparison chart for both sport and touring sport tires on the motorrad site.
Be aware that in the wet the touring tires sometimes out perform the sport tires (the pilot road 2CT were better in the wet than the best tested sport tire, the Metzler sportec M3).

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I've got the Conti RoadAttacks and I really like them. I did notice a bit of slippage when I went into a turn slightly faster than I would have liked with my wife pillion on the back. She even noticed it as well.