How to Remove your Front Wheel

Reaction score
Visit site
great idea! thanks for sharing. btw, your fender appears to have some kind of extension on it. What is it, where is it available?
Not too big on short fenders. They have a habit of slinging 'yuck' all ovr the engine and stuff. Ah, the discomfort we must bear just to look cool.

S

sportrider

great idea! thanks for sharing. btw, your fender appears to have some kind of extension on it. What is it, where is it available?
Not too big on short fenders. They have a habit of slinging 'yuck' all ovr the engine and stuff. Ah, the discomfort we must bear just to look cool.

I'm not seeing what your seeing, it looks stock to me????:confused:

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
I made the same gadget that you did, although I used a 3/4" bolt and nuts. Fit right in there nice and snug. And now I keep it in my tool kit.

hjfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you weld the nuts on or how do you make sure they stay in place when you apply torque to the tool?

BTW: the manual states to remove the brake calipers. I don't quite see why one should not be able to get the wheel out without removing them. Scratching my head...

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I never mentioned this before....use a torque wrench when putting it back together and don't forget that pinch bolt!

Did you weld the nuts on or how do you make sure they stay in place when you apply torque to the tool?

BTW: the manual states to remove the brake calipers. I don't quite see why one should not be able to get the wheel out without removing them. Scratching my head...

Lock-nut principal....no welding required...they won't move. Go look at your shift linkage or the chain adjustment on a pre2007 and you'll see what I mean...not sure how else to explain it.

I've always had to remove one caliper, IIRC. With my R6 calipers I always have to remove one caliper to get the wheel out.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my tires replaced and had to pull the wheels off to get the work done. duh. Anyhow, Motion Pro makes a tool that fits a 3/8" drive socket wrench. It's got four different size metric allen sizes built into it. More spendy than a bolt that's for sure...

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1226-08-0397.jpg

Call me frivolous but I prefer a purpose-made tool. If I knew a Snap-on man, I'd have just preferred a straight 19mm allen wrench but then again, that wrench would probably have been more than the $35 I paid.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I just had my tires replaced and had to pull the wheels off to get the work done. duh. Anyhow, Motion Pro makes a tool that fits a 3/8\" drive socket wrench. It's got four different size metric allen sizes built into it. More spendy than a bolt that's for sure...

mstewar1-albums-moto-photo-album-picture1226-08-0397.jpg

Call me frivolous but I prefer a purpose-made tool. If I knew a Snap-on man, I'd have just preferred a straight 19mm allen wrench but then again, that wrench would probably have been more than the $35 I paid.

Yea, I need to change my front and I realized that was a 19mm allen. I am trying to find a place to purchase that or I guess I can order it off line. I'm like you though, I would just prefer to have the actual tool.

Nice idea though deffy.

-bryan

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, I think it's safe to assume that everything on this Jap bike will be metric firstly. IMO from what I've seen anyway.
Biker_dude43: Uhmmm! It's not PC to say "Jap" you know. Geesh, if you were a politician or civic leader you'd be in BIG trouble. The CA DMV won't even issue a vanity license plate with "JAP" included. Yeah, I know, it's just a frickin' abreviation of the word "Japanese" and people abreviate lots of names, terms ("Tex" or "Mex" etc.) but in this case....it's HIGHLY unPC you know. You could even get fired from employment for using the term "Jap" around here. It sucks how easily people blow a gasket nowadays over stupid stuff. So, to be politically correct you should refer to the FZ6 as a "Japanese" (not "Jap") bike.

J

jsteinb95

Biker_dude43: Uhmmm! It's not PC to say \"Jap\" you know. Geesh, if you were a politician or civic leader you'd be in BIG trouble. The CA DMV won't even issue a vanity license plate with \"JAP\" included. Yeah, I know, it's just a frickin' abreviation of the word \"Japanese\" and people abreviate lots of names, terms (\"Tex\" or \"Mex\" etc.) but in this case....it's HIGHLY unPC you know. You could even get fired from employment for using the term \"Jap\" around here. It sucks how easily people blow a gasket nowadays over stupid stuff. So, to be politically correct you should refer to the FZ6 as a \"Japanese\" (not \"Jap\") bike.

OMG.....big deal man....let it go. :shakehead:

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
My only comment would be to not let the Significant Other see these money saving tips. I mean how else are we going to justify new tools to our collection when a simple bolt and nut does the same? :)

BCFZRider

Reaction score
www.iwc-solutions.com
Backside of a spark plug socket with a brass airline coupler and a wrench worked for me after hunting all over town for a 19mm or 3/4" hex bit, and then trying the bolt and nut method (works for install, but not removal). The good tool shop is 40km away from my house. :(

JustinID

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Visit site

Wow, now this was one old post brought back from the dead. I noticed this question didn't get answered though.

The wheel would likely clear the brake calipers, but the tire will definitely not. You have to remove at least one caliper to get the tire all the way off.