Back tire is out of alignment...

goodi148

Reaction score
Visit site
hi all,
my back tire seems to be out of alignment after a claimed knowledgable friend attempted to tighten the chain... never the less haha i need help.
i could be wrong, but that seems to be the problem.
how do i go about straightening the back tire?

thanks

W

wrightme43

one way is measure from center of swing arm pivot to the center of the rear axle. Make them match.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wrightme offers an excellent and very precise method.

Another method is to use the little visual indicators that are built in to the tension adjusters on your bike. Just behind the axle bolt there is a little opening/window in which you can see a bar onto which a series of little vertical notches are cut. That little bar presses against the end of your axle. So the way you "use" that gizmo:
1. loosen your axle bolt
2. loosen the lock nut on the adjusters -- these are the bolts that stick out at the back end of the swingarm.
3. loosen the adjusting nut on the adjusters
4. spray a small amount of wd40 or the lube of your choice onto the axle and into/around the adjusters. Don't get all crazy and get it on your brake rotor or tire... This will help to make sure that everything slides easily. These bits can get a bit sticky with light corrosion and such.
5. Pull straight back on your rear wheel. This will "seat" your axle back against the adjusters and will also seat the adjusters against the end of the swingarm.
6. Initially, set the adjusters so that they're even and your chain is a little loose.
7. Find the spot in your chain that's tightest. This will be where you need to set the correct tension. If it's already within spec and your adjusters are even, then tighten down the locknuts. Otherwise, get it within spec using your adjusters. Turn the nut on each adjuster the same number of rotations in order to keep the wheel straight. Regularly "seat" the rear wheel back against the adjusters while you're working. Finally, bear in mind that the adjusters don't need to turn a whole lot to cause the chain tension to change. Get the tension right...
8. Don't forget to torque the axle nut when you're done...
9. Go ride. :eek:)

F

formula154

Why do you think it is out of alighnment? I know your friend said it was but why did he say it was?

W

wrightme43

You can see it as it rotates on the centerstand.

One more thing.

OVERTIGHT is BAD BAD BAD and way to common.

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the good old fashioned looking down the chain method? I mount the rear wheel then get nice and low to judge once whether the chain is straight. Then i lock it all off. When i use string im always knocking it or pushing on it somewhere and i dont feel confident im getting an accurate measurement.

The sprockets MUST be in alignment or you'll get severely increased sprocket wear. By rule of thumb then, if the chains straight, then so will your wheel.

X

no-brakes

Reaction score
Visit site
just addint to the wheel alighnment issue make sure the chain tension is checked on the side stand as when its on the center stand its not correct and could cause major probs later as min did threw the front sproket out of lighn and sheared the thread on the crank and copleately buggerd my chances of goin to brands hatch for the first round of british super bikes welded the lil f***er on now and it aint comin off again

F

formula154

just addint to the wheel alighnment issue make sure the chain tension is checked on the side stand as when its on the center stand its not correct and could cause major probs later as min did threw the front sproket out of lighn and sheared the thread on the crank and copleately buggerd my chances of goin to brands hatch for the first round of british super bikes welded the lil f***er on now and it aint comin off again

If you use the center stand, you have to make sure the chain is tight on the top. Turn the wheel backwards to make it tight. It needs to be tight on top if it is on the side stand or the center stand to get it right