attending funerals of unknown riders?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just curious. anyone ever done this? lend support to grieving family which could have been your family?

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't do it. The last thing I want to do is bring awkwardness or empty plaitudes to an already horrible situation. I'd want to and they would probably be grateful later on but I don't think a funeral is necessarily the right place. Many people prefer to grieve in private.

J

jsteinb95

I have never done that. The only thing I've ever done was donate money when OrangevaleFJR died.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ya, it would be. but was just thinking some people really do grieve better with more people giving support. a funeral would be the wrong place though I think. Maybe writing a letter or if you somehow know where they live drop off flowers and a note or something saying something appropriate.

just got to thinking about it today is all. another rider got clipped by a 75 year old senile bastard and it just pissed me off for some reason more than usual.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
yea, there was a rider who went down from some of the groups I ride with, but I just joined two weeks ago and never met the guy...the service is tomorrow, but I'm not going...i send my codolences though

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
We had a young rider die here in Reno a couple years back and I went to the open memorial service to show support to his family but not to the actual funeral as I felt this would be too personal. I do like the idea of helping out another's family in any way possible as when I lost my best friend I needed all the help I could get.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it would depend on the family of the victim, if they would like to celebrate the good part of the life that has past then I'd go. but for a more traditional funeral, I think it would be a bit weird, to stand between all the family and friends of someone you've never met.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
It's one thing I can give to biker clubs like the HA. Everyone in a certain radius has to attend a members funeral.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
We had a funeral in Sheffield last summer for a guy (Micky Flynn) that owned a bike breakers. It was a celebration of his life and bikes, and was very touching to be part of [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsQr48WNLZA"]YouTube - Funeral ride of Michael (Mick) Flynn of Sheffield[/ame]

At the end of the day it is down to the family, they may not want random bikers turning up, it may not be something they want to face at such a difficult time.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends....I have heard that in some places riders are invited to make a "Ride past" in which case I would have no problem in doing that.

I would not like to sit in a church or at a graveside of someone I did not know.

Alanrim...that was a nice tribute. No helmets..a nice concession by the police as well.

Steve

Last edited:

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't want to attend if I didn't know someone personally. I would feel insulted if strangers popped up at a loved one's funeral and told me they were sorry for my loss. They didn't know my loved one, so I think it would just grate on my nerves, which of course would already be fragile. If I were attending for someone that Rob knew, and I didn't know, then it would be different, because I would be supporting my husband, as opposed to the family, and I could offer condolences there through his relationship with the victim... ("I'm so sorry for your loss, my husband thought the world of....")