Pinlock shield for Shoei RF-1000

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Have been riding with a new pinlock shield with a dark smoke pinlock lense for about 10 days now. Initially I was torn between getting this versus a full smoke replacement shield. What ultimately decided me was the time of day I commute, normally at dawn and dusk the majority of the year. If it is too dark or becomes to dark I can quickly take out the dark smoke lens without doing a full replacement.

PROS:
-My Helmet was hard to fog THIS MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE, so much so that I will eventually get a clear lens as well
-Quickly take out the lens to replace to other colors
-Each lens is about half the cost of a full shield

CONS:
-Worse periphial vision -decreases opening by 1/8 of an inch i would say (this is not as drastic as people have made it out to be but I will admit it is there. No different than if you bought a helmet with a slightly different opening size, except you can see out of it)
-If the angle is just right the sun can shine in the clear portion forcing you to move your head slightly.

RECOMMEND FOR RIDERS:
-who want ultimate fogging protection and will use multiple colored lenses

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR RIDERS:
Who JUST want a darker shield

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered a Pinlock shield for my helmet after reading a lot of positive reviews. I have been battling fog on my morning commute and want to be able to drive a little longer into the season - and hope that this will solve my fogging woes.

Mother nature threw some snow showers at us this afternoon (but nothing is sticking). I hope it is only a warning and that the really cold temps hold off a little while longer!

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I'm sure considering one as well. I hate having to take my hands off my toasty grips and put my sheild up at every stoplight on these 10-35 degree mornings...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had Pinlock for a long time and it is great. Especially at this time of the year. The other good thing is that you can take it off to put on another visor when you need to.

Steve

necrotimus

Reaction score
Visit site
Pinlock

I just bought a clear replacement insert from new enough as I am now commuting in the dark (they shipped it same day)... I can't wait to get it as having to ride without it sucks.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i also have one for my RF1000. works great, although at night, i get double images of bright lights (headlights, stoplights, etc) and its kind of annoying..

anybody else have this problem?

necrotimus

Reaction score
Visit site
i also have one for my RF1000. works great, although at night, i get double images of bright lights (headlights, stoplights, etc) and its kind of annoying..

Make sure there isn't any oilly substance on any of the lenses. I don't have this problem unless I get something on the lenses.

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

My Pinlock arrived last night! :cheer: I quickly got the two components together - you have to buy a Pinlock ready shield and a Pinlock insert. They went together very easily - except having an extra set of hands to hold the shield flat helped a lot.

Tried it out this morning on 30 degrees and it worked awesome! No tuck required either. I agree with the above comment - there were slight double images of road signs - but not bad at all. (And I made sure the shield and insert were spotless when I put them together.)

Definitely recommend this product - and kneedraggers ships very fast! :thumbup:

Nothing much to post for a picture - you can see them at Pinlock