Help!! - Steering Head Bearing Upgrade

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, I did a search but couldn't find any related information.

I would like to replace the 06 Fazer’s steering head bearings with taper roller bearings.

I’ve removed the OEM bearings and managed to lift the following bearing numbers

SAC3055-1 (OEM Part No 93399-99932)
SAC2547-2 (OEM Part No 93399-99931)

Does anyone know the equivalent bearing numbers to replace the OEM with over the counter taper roller bearings?

No replacement kits available here in South Africa

Appreciated

FZ6-ZN

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Having the OEM numbers you could probably call a few online retailers and they should know what to give you correctly...does the Yami dealer carry any aftermarket ones or recommend someone? That would be a great start...

just my 2c

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Having the OEM numbers you could probably call a few online retailers and they should know what to give you correctly...does the Yami dealer carry any aftermarket ones or recommend someone? That would be a great start...

just my 2c

MarinaFazer, I'm hoping the numbers I lifted are correct, the numbers are very small and illegible. The OEM bearings are quite rusted.

I was hoping the technical gurus would be able to quote the over counter equivalents

FZ6-ZN

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6-zn. I apologize for not seeing that you're in South Africa. I don't know what sorts of issues you might face -- besides simple shipping costs -- to order from the states.

Though it's true that rust never sleeps, if yours aren't completely pitted and shot, for a temporary fix, you could clean them well, grease 'em up, and re-fit them. But I'd definitely change them out.

Did you take a look in the Service manual that's here on the site? Perhaps it has the bearing data. I'd check for you but am at work and the network won't let me see access them.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All Balls ROCK DUDE! They are like butta! I plan to install a set this Fall when I have some more time.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Update,

after a great deal of frustration I’ve fitted taper roller bearings to the FZ6’s steering head and can report that I am more than satisfied with the handling now.

If I could only do one modification to my bike this is the mod that I would do.

Highly recommended, took 3 hours to complete.

FZ6-ZN

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
A note of caution. The IT guy at my work has a Honda pan-european. He changed the head bearings at the weekend. I saw him at work in the morning when he told me what he'd done. I then saw him in the afternoon and he wasn't happy. He'd gone for a spin at lunch. the bearings hadn't fully bedded in until his lunchtime ride. when they did they left quite a bit of play in the headstock. So much so he couldn't ride the back home and had to call a breakdown service to take his bike home in a van.

The moral is make sure everything is nice and tight after putting your bearings in and putting everything back together