Front wheel is kicking my........

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so this story starts with I have a leak in my front tire (have you ever ridden with a low front tire? Scary as all heck:eek:) and I wanted to remove it so I could dunk it in some water to find the leak. I visually searched for the leak and found nothing. Also if there is a problem (like the air keeps coming out) I will have to remove it anyway to bring it to the tire shop and get it replaced. So I put the bike on the center stand and got out the manual. I removed the calipers and the pinch bolt no problem. Then the manual just says to loosen the axle. So I look in the tool kit and see this worthless piece of metal to remove the axle. Well if I didn't break the thing I wouldn't be here typing this now. So after I break it, I drill a hole in it and put a screwdriver through it and try to turn it....... no dice. So now my question is..... is this thing counter threaded or did the assembler put it in really tight? Where can I get a real tool that will make this much easier? I tried some searching but had no luck so far. Am I just going about this all the wrong way(ie; does the axle just slide out?)?

HELP!!!!!! Its 90f outside, sunny, beach is calling my name and........ no bike!!!!!!!

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I have no help for the removal of your tire, I am just a girl. hehe

I have ridden on a low tire, I thought maybe the suspension had settled because it was on the center stand for a while... but before we went out for a ride Sunday I had my husband check the pressure and it was down 10lbs. Now we have to keep an eye on it to be sure there isn't a leak.

Deb

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I tried the plug tool. It didn't fit the hole.

Anyway, it sounds like it just breaks when you use it, so I'll be making a better tool out of a bolt head.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
so now I broke my plug tool also.... wow you sure know how to ruin a guys day..... just kidding! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't counter-threaded or anything before I start to put some A$$ to it.......
Thanks guys I guess after work it is off to sears to see if they have the correct allen socket and if not to the hardware store for a bolt and a couple of nuts.

on second thought how important is the spark plug tool? I can get by with a regular ratchet-socket-extension-maybe a universal, correct?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Nate had something posted that he'd made out of some nuts and a 19mm bolt that the socket fits over.

Yo! Defy!!!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I think Nate had something posted that he'd made out of some nuts and a 19mm bolt that the socket fits over.

Yo! Defy!!!

Yeah but I am a tool whore so I will buy the correct tool anyway but the bolt/nut trick may work for now....... and I found some laying around work that look like they will work!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
push down toward the floor..don't lift the bike up. leverage is key so extend your lever! torque it to spec when you install. good luck.

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to remove my front wheel this morning to take it to dealer to get a new tire put on. I found a hex socket set at Princess Auto (Canada Only I think) on sale for 12$ that included the 19mm socket that we need to remove the axle.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
push down toward the floor..don't lift the bike up. leverage is key so extend your lever! torque it to spec when you install. good luck.

Yeah I didn't think it would be on so effin tight! I did the bolt trick got it off, had cycle gear put a Dunlop road master tire on there, bring it home, and realize that they put the tire on backwards!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!! so I bring it back, have them fix it, go home put it on, and go for a ride! now I feel better and I got to test out my newest mod...............PUIG!!!!!! pics to come but she needs a bath...bad(I hate bug season).:rockon:

Thanks for the help everyone!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put in the biggest hex I had and wedged a flat head screwdriver in with it. I then used a longish bar to GENTLY loosen the axel. It was easy.

To ride with either of your tyres leaking air is madness. Just get it fixed, the right way, first time and straight away.

Steve

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I thought these were good questions so I'll add to this topic for those who still wish to know.

...So now my question is..... is this thing counter threaded or did the assembler put it in really tight?

NO - the threads are set normal (clockwise rotation to tighten and counter-clockwise to loosen). Possibly it was put on tight but using the right tools mention by others in this thread will help.

Am I just going about this all the wrong way(ie; does the axle just slide out?)?

With the tire supported, once you loosen the axle it should slide out easily.

A

Aggietaco

Wow, this thing sure is on tight. I just finished welding up another tool to get this thing out, but I already busted one that I made out of a 12mm x 40mm bolt and 2 12mm nuts. Twisted the threads right apart.

I checked with Sears this morning and they don't have a 19mm hex sockets in stock and I don't want to wait the 3 days to get it. Neither Lowes nor HD had one either. Any suggestions? I guess if I bust two more of these socket-bolt-tools, I'll just order the damn hex head socket and drive the cage a few days.