Dumb Tire change question

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
I caught riding in the rain on friday so I decided to lube the chain on saturday while rotating the rear tire I found a pretty little nail in it. Obviously the tire needs to be changed but that leads to following questions

1)If I pull the wheel will a regular tire shop be able to change it, I'd assume so but I don't think I'd trust them with tensioning the chain.
2)What size is the axle nut?

S

sportrider

the axle is 36mm, I use an 1 1/4 6-point socket on the axle nut. your tool kit that comes with the bike should have everything you need to remove the wheel. I doubt any automotive shop would break down the tire for you. its not that hard to do if you have the right tools. but if your not sure of yourself take it to a bike shop. as far as chain tension if you don't loosen the adjusters the chain will be the same as it was when you pulled the wheel. if it hasn't ever been adjusted it probably needs it anyways.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/576-changin-tires-woo-hoo-pics.html

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
the axle is 36mm, I use an 1 1/4 6-point socket on the axle nut. your tool kit that comes with the bike should have everything you need to remove the wheel. I doubt any automotive shop would break down the tire for you. its not that hard to do if you have the right tools. but if your not sure of yourself take it to a bike shop. as far as chain tension if you don't loosen the adjusters the chain will be the same as it was when you pulled the wheel. if it hasn't ever been adjusted it probably needs it anyways.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/576-changin-tires-woo-hoo-pics.html

I have the tool kit, I just rather have a socket on hand that's the right size.
Thanks for the link, I've always left tire changes up to a shop oddly I've rebuild trannys but won't mount my own tire I'm odd what can I say? I was planning on adjusting the chain at the 600 mile mark, hence why I want the socket :) . Thanks again the help...

W

wrightme43

Bruce Campbell has it under control here. Nothing to see. LOL

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
the axle is 36mm, I use an 1 1/4 6-point socket on the axle nut. your tool kit that comes with the bike should have everything you need to remove the wheel.

DOUBLE CHECK! Is there a difference in axle nut sizes between the model years? My '07 takes a 32mm 6-point socket. I got focused earlier on this post and purchased a 36mm socket only to find mine is 32mm.