Winter Poll

Do you store your bike over the winter or ride all year.

• Total voters

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you store your baby over the winter or ride all year long?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
The majority of the year. I end up having to car pool with the wife during Dec - Feb as she rides a VINO 125cc scooter and dosent care much for the really cold and miserable days. Can't say that I enjoy them much either, but I will ride in most conditions.

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still waiting to pick mine up. It was 60 until I bought it and now it won't stop snowing
ACK!! That sucks..... Have you even ridden it yet?.... Post some pics if you got em...

Dennis

CMHrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally had some decent weather and brought my her home last Friday. I bought the chin fairing but when I took it out of the box it was all scratched up. I'll post some pics later when I can get out of the garage and the sun and heat come back.

S

stevew

British winter blues

I ride all year round, as there really isn't much choice here is there? If I left it to sunny days, I'd probably get to ride three or four times in August! ;)

I used to own a Honda CB750, and I left that for a few months to avoid the cold, man was that a mistake! Cost me loads to get it running again. So this time I've opted for a screen, winter gear and waterproof oversuit! It may be darned cold sometimes, but hey, it's worth it isn't it?!

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
Visit site
Frankly, if you want a motorcyclist's paradise, I'm in it. Year round riding, twisty mountains, coastal, desert, rain forests, redwood groves, major cities, quaint mining towns, vineyards, ski areas, national parks....all within 2 hour's of awesome riding.

W

wrightme43

I live in southern KY. It gets cold but only for a couple weeks at a time at most 3-4 weeks. Then there is almost always a week or so of warm weather. My local dealer gives me a 5$ store gift cert. everytime I show up in dec or jan on the bike. LOL The owners wife said it looks good to have bikes and riders there in the winter.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have much choise but to store my bike during winter. In November it starts to get a bit cold here, about +5 degrees (C) at daytime and below zero at nights. After that it only gets worse.

First snow comes usually in early December. After Christmas and in January it won't stop snowing. In average winter we have about ½ metre of snow in southern Finland and over a metre in north. And I honestly can't say why anyone woul'd like to drive a bike when it's -15 degrees and windy outside. ;) And during winter the sun comes up only for a few hours a day.

Yep. That's what this land is all about. Three months of cold and nine months of hellishly cold... :p

W

wrightme43

Wow!!!!
I got to go to Norway in the winter for a few days. Bergen. One night I had topside watch. It was sleeting sideways, with lightning. We were tied up to the pier, with a huge generator on the pier to give us electricity. It got hit by lightning while I was standing on the sub. It was amazing.
I know its a different country but around the same weather right?

Also since I have no idea what Latin means. What exactly does Feminae naturam regere desperare est otium, mean? I got my education in KY and they had girls at the school, so I just didnt pay much attention. LOL

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
It was sleeting sideways, with lightning.

This happens a few times every winter. But I think those winter storms are stronger in Norway than in here. Luckily most of the time in winter it's quite calm. And cold. And dark. And did I say cold?

What exactly does Feminae naturam regere desperare est otium, mean?

It means "Trying to quide a womans mind is a waste of time". :D

W

wrightme43

It means "Trying to quide a womans mind is a waste of time". :D

Oh... I got that figured out in 8th grade. LOL :D

Thanks for the translation. I have been trying to figure that out since I first read it.

S

stevew

OrangevaleFJR, all I can say is, how do I emigrate?! Your biking habitat sounds awesome.
It's not too bad here once the sun's out! I took the bike to France on a fairly long trip, and considering I have the naked version, I'm happy to report I hardly noticed the wind (except at Dover where it helpfully makes you change lanes when you don't want to!), and to be honest, I was able to keep up with pals on supersports bikes. I took in a trackday there too and the bike handled itself brilliantly.
My only wish is that I could find lower handlebars to put on it.

J

jeffm

I usually try and ride at least once or twice a month in the winter months. We usually get lucky here in Southwestern PA and get a few days thorugh the winter months that are dry and above 40 degrees. Although Last January and February there weren't any. :(

buickttype

Reaction score
Visit site
riding in the winter

Here on the Gulf Coast of Texas in Alvin Texas it does not get cold enough not to ride I remember one Christmas when it was 70 degrees, but it did snow here 2 Christmas ago, don't expect that again in my life time

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Frankly, if you want a motorcyclist's paradise, I'm in it. Year round riding, twisty mountains, coastal, desert, rain forests, redwood groves, major cities, quaint mining towns, vineyards, ski areas, national parks....all within 2 hour's of awesome riding.
mate it sounds terrible, bet you wish it pissed down and your bike got covered with road salt like in good old blightly.

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
After the last nights snow storm you are lucky to drive a car without four wheel drive. So no I do not ride year round.