Break in RPM's

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
What do you guys/gals think about the RPM break in limits...

THey told me not to have anything prolonged over 7,000 till after the 600 miles.

After that what do you guys recommend.

I am heading to the mountians of North Georgia in early october and want to have it ready to roll when I get there. How many miles and what limits?

And at what point can I go to the 12,000 +

Been riding for years ---this is my first Sport bike.

thanks

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
make sure you use engine braking to slow down so the rings seat in both directions, i am running mine in and found that 6.5Kish = 80mph but you can feel the power and torque building as you approach 7K my dealer told me it is electronically limited to 7K to stop me ragging the motor otherwise i would have broke it in like ever other motor with no mercy, mostly you want to be going up and down the gearbox and keep it were the dealer suggests after the 1st service use the full rpm and avoid banging the limiter, they said the 7K limit will be removed at the first service???

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I would hate to live in a society where everything is mandated by the goverment. Here in America you can rev that bitch up to 14,000 before the first mile is on the odometer! Not that that is what you should do, but you can. I broke mine in as the book said. Keep it under 7,00 for any long period until you reach 600 miles, then under 10,000 until you reach the 1,000 mile mark.

S

sportrider

we covered this somewhere on the site already, but I couldn't find it. there are a lot of different beliefs in break in procedures, I just varied the rpms for a while I never kept any rev restriction, I just wouldn't hold it pinned for a long time. I did see the redline when it was a cherry but just in short bursts.

maybe someone else will find the debate we had earlier on this and link it.:thumbup:

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of a fairly hard break in, varying revs and full throttle burst with engine braking. My only rule is make sure everything is up to temp before getting on it hard.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big fan of a fairly hard break in, varying revs and full throttle burst with engine braking. My only rule is make sure everything is up to temp before getting on it hard.

I will second this!

S

sportrider

I will second this!
I'll third that!!!

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
If the rings dont seal in the first couple minutes there not gonna. On the other hand I would follow the break in procedure, Because well the bike is brand spankin new and you have alot to break in. Transmission, crank, rods, bearings, and a whole slu of other things. Do what yamaha says, they know more than any of us do about the fz6.
Ride safe.:thumbup:

Gdubya

Reaction score
Visit site
If I had it to do over again, I would change oil/filter much sooner than recommended, and probably make the 600mi change my third on the bike one at 50 miles, and one at 300miles. If yamaha thinks silvery oil (from metal particles) is a good idea running around in that motor for 600mi, they are dumb. So am I for leaving it in that long. Won't make that break-in mistake again.

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
If I had it to do over again, I would change oil/filter much sooner than recommended, and probably make the 600mi change my third on the bike one at 50 miles, and one at 300miles. If yamaha thinks silvery oil (from metal particles) is a good idea running around in that motor for 600mi, they are dumb. So am I for leaving it in that long. Won't make that break-in mistake again.

Exactly I did mine at 300 and it looked like a grease print of a raver/hooker's face. I'd have loved to send that out as my first oil analsys sample, to see what they say.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting...

The dealer recommended me not to go past 6,000 RPMs for the first 600 miles (first service) then keep it bellow 7,000 RPMs up to 1,000 miles.

I have not gone past 5,000 RPMs (currently around 120 miles on the bike) and my riding friends are taking full advantage of it!!!!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
In my opinion: Yamaha does know more than we. As so many others have said: Warm up is the key and vary the revs while riding new.
While mine still hasn't been redlined, it has been over 100 mph dozens of times. I do not think that running fast below the redline is harmful to the engine as long as it's loaded.
I do not speed shift, pop wheelies (intentionally), or do a lot of compression braking and I do keep good clean oil in the engine. (My oil was silvery at my first oil change as others have said. I too think that 600 miles is a little too much for the first time) Good luck and enjoy! (You've bought a great bike!)

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
The manual says nothing about "varying RPM's" durring break in. Just says to keep it under 7k for 600mi then under 8k till 1000mi, or not to spend alot of time over those rpm's for very long.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Simple answer:

RTFM (Read The....Fancy....Manual)! As mentioned, the Yamaha engineers know more about the bike than we do.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Simple answer:

RTFM (Read The....Fancy....Manual)! As mentioned, the Yamaha engineers know more about the bike than we do.

Possibly, but don't forget their agenda as well. A bike with more kms between service intervals can be marketed more easily. A friend just bought a car with the first service due at 25,000kms. Damned if I'd let the oil go that long!!

But yeah if the best thing for a bike is new oil at 50km, 500km, 1,000km, then every 3,000kms - but the manufacturer can get away with saying every 10,000km, then they will. For the minimal cost of an oil and filter change, I'd call it a cheap insurance policy for your motor by upping the intervals.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Possibly, but don't forget their agenda as well. A bike with more kms between service intervals can be marketed more easily. A friend just bought a car with the first service due at 25,000kms. Damned if I'd let the oil go that long!!

But yeah if the best thing for a bike is new oil at 50km, 500km, 1,000km, then every 3,000kms - but the manufacturer can get away with saying every 10,000km, then they will. For the minimal cost of an oil and filter change, I'd call it a cheap insurance policy for your motor by upping the intervals.

Have changed my oil every 3000km's or so, with decent full sybthetic oil, ever since i bought my FZ6....i run the bike hard, with no specific consideration for the motor.

The result, i have an FZ6 with over 40000km's on it, that runs better than it ever has at this moment. The motor is quiet, free-spinning, and has had no drop off of power, and recently it had valve clearances done, and they did not need adjustment.

Mr Yamaha builds a damn fine motor!

:D