Cleaning Helmet Pads

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using my helmet since April and never cleaned the inside. Now at the end of summer here in Houston you can imagine how it smells. I got all of the pads and liner out and was about to wash it the best way I could think of. Then I had this thought, instead of a trail and error why not start a thread and this question.

What works best for you when it's time to clean the funk off your helmet liner and pads?

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a front loader washer so it is more gentle on the pads. I put them in a pillow case with a pony tail holder at the end, then I wash them using Ivory Snow on the gentle cycle.

Deb

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have taken mine in the shower with me and washed it out with shampoo while in there and rinsed it thoroughly.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would think shampoo would be an ideal form of cleaning pads, they cut through sweat and oils..

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are none removable, and i had not done mine for three years, and was well surprised just how clean it had stayed. But decided to go hunting for a cleaner, found a product called MOTOLINE helmet care, for the cleaning of inside and out and deodoriser. Cost me $25 a can, you spray it on, it froths up and you wipe it off, and it is great, well worth the money. Its made in switzerland, and did even bring the outside up to a great luster.

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine are none removable, and i had not done mine for three years, and was well surprised just how clean it had stayed. But decided to go hunting for a cleaner, found a product called MOTOLINE helmet care, for the cleaning of inside and out and deodoriser. Cost me $25 a can, you spray it on, it froths up and you wipe it off, and it is great, well worth the money. Its made in switzerland, and did even bring the outside up to a great luster.

i was always curious about that stuff, My pads are also non-removable and i just take the while helmet in the shower, I ride in the rain, so i figure water isn;t bad for the whole thing...

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I fill my sink with warm water and add some tide. I then slosh the pads in the warm water with tide very vigorously until the water turns a dark brown. I then drain the water and refill again with clean warm water and more sloshing. I do this about twice and then I finish with a cold rinse. After washing them I hang the pads on a bar and let them dry for about 1-2 days.

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I too have a front load washer and was thinking about the same thing (- the pillow case) good idea.

I'll probably use the sink laundry soap method.

Everything is removable on mine.

Trouble

Reaction score
Visit site
I wash them in the sink with Woolite and warm water. Give them lots of time to dry - it'll take longer than you may think and if you don't give them proper time to dry they'll just get skanky again right off. That and it sucks riding with a damp helmet. Not that I've ever been that impatient...