dropped my helmet. time for a new one?

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
so i was in a hurry yesterday to the salon just before it was about to close last night and the hair dresser waiting for me that when i finally got there, i rushed to take my helmet off so quickly that it slipped through the grip of my hands and flew right in front of me and down right to sidewalk with a nice loud thumb and vibration on the ground. it landed right at the top of the helmet putting a nice large scratch of course and even a slight crack. i just wanted to recall the fact that this helmet is now officially done for correct? that the good chance that it cracked the protective layers inside makes it garbage now. unfortunately it was a very good helmet for me too (the scorpion exo-1000)...$300 helmet down the drain for a lousy $13 hair cut. this totally sucks

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
If the outside is cracked... I'd think it'd be a safe assumption that it the protective foam layer is dented. :p But you can always send it in for them to check....

W

wrightme43

Sorry man, but if it cracked its for sure done. That freaking sucks man.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
alright thanks. i would have to send it in to scorpion right? i went into my local dealership today to drop the bike off for service and went over to the helmets to check them out and showed the salesperson mine who declared it being broken also.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to me that a helmet dropped from that distance shouldan't be cracked. I have no idea the type of testing these helmet undergo to get DOT or Snell approved but it doesn't seem like a helmet cracked from a drop of that distance would provide much protection in a real crash.:eek:

Last edited:

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
thats a really interesting point you bring up. long article though. i started reading on and on then realized how long it actually was and whoa! maybe i'll finish it another day. lol. but i do agree on the fact that the helmet should be a little more forgiving especially when a stupid silly incident like mine occurs and it is dropped. however i think that any impact no matter the magnitude causes the shell to create some sort of chain reaction from abosorbing that particular energy and thus forcing a crack and delaminating the shell. its like an egg shell, once the shell cracks, that's it, it's done and the whole egg shell is no longer protective.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
are the skulls much of the domain? i thought it would be kind of cool and different but im getting the "eh, lil too much" kind of response from some outside perspectives.

IPilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Something like this happend to me the really next day I got my helmet on the mail. I was coming out of my apartment and I dropped it down the stairs from the 2nd. to the 1st. floor. The stairs are made of cement, so you can imagine how bad was the noise while it was rolling down. It just got some scratches since it really didn't drop from a high point directly to the floor. I almost kick myself that day, and was in a bad mood like for a week. LOL...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cracked = Replaced. Hands down! Get a Shoei RF-1000! Parts411.com and use the 6 digit part of the product number as the coupon and get a DEEP discount!

B

bluenova

rvbiker said:
It seems to me that a helmet dropped from that distance shouldan't be cracked. I have no idea the type of testing these helmet undergo to get DOT or Snell approved but it doesn't seem like a helmet cracked from a drop of that distance would provide much protection in a real crash.

The outer shell being cracked is irrelevant, it's just there to make the helmet look nice. The only way to know for sure if it's still good is to get the inside scanned.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Cracked = Replaced. Hands down! Get a Shoei RF-1000! Parts411.com and use the 6 digit part of the product number as the coupon and get a DEEP discount!

Hey, thanks for that site! Any idea if those SPARX helmets are any good? The Stryder is a badass paint scheme and looks just like how I envision my bike painted one day!!!!!

oldtimer

Oh Noes!!
Reaction score
Visit site
The outer shell being cracked is irrelevant, it's just there to make the helmet look nice. The only way to know for sure if it's still good is to get the inside scanned.
:spank:

Four basic components work together to provide protection in
the motorcycle helmet: an outer shell; an impact-absorbing liner;
the comfort padding; and a good retention system.

What we see first is the outer shell, usually made from some family
of fiber-reinforced composites or thermoplastics like polycarbonate.
This is tough stuff, yet it's designed and intended to compress when
it hits anything hard. That action disperses energy from the impact to
lessen the force before it reaches your head
, but it doesn't act alone
to protect you.

Inside the shell is the equally important impact-absorbing liner,
usually made of expanded polystyrene (commonly thought of as
Styrofoam). This dense layer cushions and absorbs the shock as the
helmet stops and your head wants to keep on moving.
Both the shell and the liner compress if hit hard, spreading the forces
of impact throughout the helmet material. The more impact-energy
deflected or absorbed, the less there is of it to reach your head and
do damage. Some helmet shells delaminate on impact. Others may
crack and break if forced to take a severe hit; this is one way a helmet
acts to absorb shock. It is doing its intended job. Impact damage
from a crash to the non-resilient liner may be invisible to the eye; it
may look great, but it probably has little protective value left and
should be replaced.

The comfort padding is the soft foam-and-cloth layer that sits next
to your head. It helps keep you comfortable and the helmet
fitting snugly. In some helmets, this padding can even be taken out