Joe Rocket Alter Ego pants

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just picked up a pair of these for my rides to work to protect me and my dress pants. I got these for three main reasons:
1) same brand as my jacket in case I want to use zipper
2) they offered an extra tall size
3) The legs unzip up to the thigh

I ordered the XXL Tall because I am going to wear it over my pants and the standard 32" inseam was to short. My dress pants which are 32" ride up over my ankle when I sit on the bike but my jeans which are 34" cover my ankle.

Fit:
The waist band is pretty adjustable with a velcro fastener on either side. With a 36" waist I may have been able to get away with the XL but went for the XXL since going over my pants. With dress pants on I still have prob 2" of play smaller or larger.

Length:
The 34" length fits pretty true to my 34" jeans.

Features:
Leg zippers - unzip to above knee, each side has two zippers allowing you to unzip up to put on and take off and unzip fromt he top down if you get too hot, velcro closure at bottom

Rain liner - seems pretty substantial also unzips as high and has the two sets of zippers, elastic bottoms

There is a removable cooling panel that reveals mesh underneath that runs from left knee behind rear of pants to other knee (I haven't used it yet). Only draw back to this is you can remove it in a hurry but it looks like a pain to reinstall.

Comfort:
This morning 58 degrees I kept the liner in (looks like rain this afternoon) and it was perfect for the ride to work. Any warmer though and you will probably start to sweat with it in. The crotch had enough room to allow the pants to ride up without being uncomfortable but also wasn't so overdone as to bunch up. Because of the ample room I can pull the pants up on the bike instead of riding with plumber's crack syndrome.

Protection:
CE knee pads, hip padding, tail bone (I'd call it lower back as it sits right at waist)

Cons:
The knee pads/extra bulk in the legs will make me change my riding style some. As a newer rider I am gripping the tank a lot with my legs so the pads have me riding a little looser. Nothing major. Only two pockets on the front.

interactive3

FZ6 Rider
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried several different pairs of overpants and settled the Alter Egos as well. They fit well. I have a Fieldsheer jacket, so I sewed the included mating zipper half next to the other zipper in the jacket.

Other pants:
Fieldsheer Booster Pants - Really substantial. Thick nylon exterior. Waterproof with a zip out quilted linter. These would be perfect for very cold weather, but were too much for my application. The fit was good, if just a bit bulky. Nice reflective strips!

Icon Arc overpants: No rain or insulating liner. Does not have long enough side zippers and the pants are very flared at the bottom. Too large below the knee and didn't fit quite right.

By the way, two thumbs up on the Fieldsheer Aqua Sport Jacket! Great fit and (untried) protection and not too expensive.

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
Thats what I've been wearing this year. Very comfortable, the vent is a big plus and it really isn't that hard to reinstall at all, it takes me less than 20 seconds (just timed myself lol)