Chain Adjustment Question...

5Against1

Always Learning...
Reaction score
Visit site
I have scoured the threads here for a while and there are some great tips on adjusting my chain. My question however, is whether or not anyone has a how-to video? I know where all of the bolts/nuts etc are, but it is always better if you can actually see someone do it instead of theorectical pictures and words right?

Also, what is this I was reading about needing to have two people to adjust the chain? Can't you just sit on the bike and reach down to determine how much slack the chain has?

I've only had my bike for a few months now, so forgive me for being a newb :welcome:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
SportRyder's Wheel Alignment Method

No, video I could find, but this seemed useful as a follow up, and I do mine by myself...
In addition I recall the manual stating measuring slack below the swingarm, on centerstand and having rotated the tire to find the stiffest part of the chain

Last edited:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum:welcome:

The chain slack is measured while off the bike. When you sit on the bike the chain tightens and the spec(1.77-2.17 in.) is supposed to take that into account.

The thing that bothers me about this is that if you adjust the chain for the lower slack limit(1.77 in) and you ride two up I feel there is undo tension on the chain, sprockets and bearings. Especially in light of the fact the we are all getting heavier as a society. The bike’s carrying capacity is 417 lbs. and this limit could easily be exceeded with 2 guys riding 2 up. I’m about 230 so I adjust my chain more to the 2.17 side of the spec.. A loose chain has a much more positive effect on the bike than a tight chain.:thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Rule of thumb, better on the loose side than the tight side. Too tight and your chain and sprockets will wear very fast.

One of the beauties of the FZ is the centerstand. With that you can adjust the chain yourself. Just follow your owners manual.

Ideally you wanted to be seated on the bike in your normal riding gear and have a buddy check the slack. This is the best method as when your swingarm moves through its arc the chain will tighten as the arm compresses, then once it passes the peak of the arc the chain will slacken.

On a side note, the new BMW Enduro bike has the drive sprocket in the swingarm pivot so that whole problem is solved, kind cool.

View attachment 7195

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What Pete said! :thumbup:

You're fortunate to have the '08 model. You only have one axle nut to tighten. The adjusters are much better on this new swingarm making it a simple task for one person. Don't rely on the tick marks, rely on accurate measurement from known-good reference points! :D

5Against1

Always Learning...
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info thanks!

The owners manual says that the chain slack should be adjusted every 500 miles. To me that seems like every two weeks or so I need to adjust the chain?!? That seems a little extreme to me, but maybe I'm just crazy. Any suggestions as to how often I should do this if 500 miles is not a good number? :confused:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
not every 500 miles...it depends on how you ride the bike. I periodically check after long ride, but a well oiled chain hasn't needed it that often in my experience...I think I tightened mine about 1,000 miles ago and it's not yet ready for another tightening. Just lift the chain up and down and if you have too much slack, then tighten, if not, then keep riding!

5Against1

Always Learning...
Reaction score
Visit site
not every 500 miles...it depends on how you ride the bike. I periodically check after long ride, but a well oiled chain hasn't needed it that often in my experience...I think I tightened mine about 1,000 miles ago and it's not yet ready for another tightening. Just lift the chain up and down and if you have too much slack, then tighten, if not, then keep riding!

Good. I thought it a waste of time to go through the whole hassle if the slack is within the 1.77-2.17 range. It's definitely worth a check often though! Thanks!

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Ideally you wanted to be seated on the bike in your normal riding gear ay nd have a buddy check the slack. This is the best method as when your swingarm moves through its arc the chain will tighten as the arm compresses, then once it passes the peak of the arc the chain will slacken.
View attachment 7195[/QUOTE]

Pete: I agree with this actually but where is this recommended? I haven't found it in the users manual or anywhere else for that matter. Personally, I adjust my chain so I don't feel any chain whip when applying the throttle but that's just me.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I found the recommendation in the user's manual. It's in the "PERIODIC MAINTENANCE AND MINOR REPAIR" section. Here's what the manual says:

Drive chain slack
The drive chain slack should be
checked before each ride and adjusted
if necessary.

To check the drive chain slack
1. Place the motorcycle on the centerstand.
2. Shift the transmission into the neutral
position.
3. Spin the rear wheel several times
to locate the tightest portion of the
drive chain.
4. Measure the drive chain slack as
shown.
Drive chain slack:
45.0–55.0 mm (1.77–2.17 in)

5. If the drive chain slack is incorrect,
adjust it as follows.

Hope this helps.

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
first of all welcome.... now as far as the chain goes this is what i would add to the thread. A friend of mine who has his own shop and has raced for awhile told me to have about a 'dime' distance of slack. Meaning when u move the chain up or down it should only move vertical about a 'dime's' width. make sense? this is an easy check that i do pretty much every time i get on the bike.... takes all of 2 seconds to check and its easy... hope this helps

this maybe wrong and im sure someone will correct me if it is but this is what i do and im not changing maybe i should be :ban:ed haha

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
first of all welcome.... now as far as the chain goes this is what i would add to the thread. A friend of mine who has his own shop and has raced for awhile told me to have about a 'dime' distance of slack. Meaning when u move the chain up or down it should only move vertical about a 'dime's' width. make sense? this is an easy check that i do pretty much every time i get on the bike.... takes all of 2 seconds to check and its easy... hope this helps

this maybe wrong and im sure someone will correct me if it is but this is what i do and im not changing maybe i should be :ban:ed haha

does that put you within the yamaha spec? it either does or it doesn't but if I had to guess I'd say that sounds a little tight.

W

wrightme43

I just use a tape measure.
I make sure its over 1 and 3/4" and under 2" of slack.

I also use a tape to align the rear wheel. just make sure the distance from the center of the swing arm pivot to the center of the rear axle are the same on both sides when the axle nut is tight.

It seems like a lot of slack but its right when its loaded.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Sounds like you guys so far have it easy, mine didnt come with a centre stand, and i have to admit i havent checked it. I think that is a job awaiting me. Just have to work out how to get in air.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Sounds like you guys so far have it easy, mine didnt come with a centre stand, and i have to admit i havent checked it. I think that is a job awaiting me. Just have to work out how to get in air.

Carport beams and ratchet tie down straps through the grab rails onto the swingarm:thumbup:. Great for adjusting and aligning:rockon:. To much trouble for lubing though.....why couldn't they just put on a centre stand like every other bike I've owned:(?
Cheers
Mike

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK guys really do we need weight off the swingarm. The manual says have rear wheel airbourne, but not whether you have to have the arm free. Do i need to support under the centre or can i use my race stand. I have just read every thread on chains and this isnt mentioned. The ass manual says have both wheels on ground.