Clutch Cable Lube

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I need to completely remove it to lube it? I'm having trouble getting it detached completely...
doh.jpg

I can fit the cable luber thingie as it is, is this fine?
enough.jpg

... probably is, but thought i'd check... And it shouldn't be that hard from the point that I got it?

Yeah I'm a noob. :p

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got it, squirt until it runs out the other end. Wrap both ends in a rag to control the mess. :thumbup:

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to lub my clutch cable without taking it out at all... now I see you have the proper tool, so you`re better off doing it properly, but if one day you need it done quickly, you can just spray some chain lub, or WD40 directly onto the cable from the back of the lever... spray for 2 seconds, press/release the lever 5 times... repeat 5 times (with the handlebar turned to the right, which will add a slight angle and make it easier) :thumbup:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
cable luber is the way to go, i wouldnt use chain lube since most are sticky, you will end up with a dirty sticky mess. but wd40 or cable lube is good, wd40 smells a lil better, most cable lubes are nasty smelling

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used to lub my clutch cable without taking it out at all... now I see you have the proper tool, so you`re better off doing it properly, but if one day you need it done quickly, you can just spray some chain lub, or WD40 directly onto the cable from the back of the lever... spray for 2 seconds, press/release the lever 5 times... repeat 5 times (with the handlebar turned to the right, which will add a slight angle and make it easier) :thumbup:

+1 Thats exactly what I do and still on original cable after 26k.

Pirosko

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I am a nube as well, I take my cable right out and "pour" in cable lube by making a funnel type thing, then moving the cable back and forth until runs out the other end.

Stupid question? Using the "tool" in the picture, where do you actually inject the lube. This looks a lot easier than the way I do it.

Also, can the same method be used for the throttle cables? They were a real pain, especially after they came out of the throttle "cam" behind the frame in the most rediculously unreachable spot. After some cussing and getting another pair of hands I fixed it. But using a tool would make this much easier, no?

Thanks all.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do NOT use wet lubricants on your cables! These will attract dust, grime and dirt and gum up the cables completely. Cables are meant to be lubed with dry lubes such as graphite.

IMHO and the opinion of MANY seasoned riders/racers, the best you can do for your cables is: https://www.russack.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=8

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Do NOT use wet lubricants on your cables! These will attract dust, grime and dirt and gum up the cables completely. Cables are meant to be lubed with dry lubes such as graphite.

IMHO and the opinion of MANY seasoned riders/racers, the best you can do for your cables is: https://www.russack.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=8

I'm glad I saw this post. I have always used Dry Slide Bike Aid on my cables but was considering going to a petroleum based product until I read this. I'll stick with what works! :rockon:

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still using a dedicated (wet) cable lube, and I've found that it doesn't seem to make it past the slack adjuster (the one right by the airbox). What I've been doing to remedy this is removing the airbox, unscrewing the slack adjuster, and basically using that "clamp" type tool you have pictured there AND at the lever.

I don't know if it attracts dirt and whatever or not, but it feels silky smooth afterwards and I do it frequently enough that I'm really not too worried. I'm not confident that any "dry" type lubes will get far enough down that tight sleeve.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still using a dedicated (wet) cable lube, and I've found that it doesn't seem to make it past the slack adjuster (the one right by the airbox). What I've been doing to remedy this is removing the airbox, unscrewing the slack adjuster, and basically using that "clamp" type tool you have pictured there AND at the lever.

I don't know if it attracts dirt and whatever or not, but it feels silky smooth afterwards and I do it frequently enough that I'm really not too worried. I'm not confident that any "dry" type lubes will get far enough down that tight sleeve.

Dry Slide Bike Aid is a dry lube that comes out of the bottle "WET" but the solvent it's carried in evaporates after the lube is passed to the bottom of the cable. Definitely a lot cleaner than petroleum based lubes, any residue it leaves wipes off with a rag in one swipe.