BOOT help

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: Hi every one this is my first post here, as a somewhat new & young rider who is just getting into the sport I was hoping you all could help me with a question. I firmly believe in ATGATT but at the moment when I ride I only wear plain leather boots that do not go very high on my shin. While these have proven great for everyday use I fear that they do not provide adequate protection from impact or abrasion. So onto my question I was hoping someone here could recommend a quality boot designed for motorcycle riding. My criteria follows.
1- Less then $200
2-provides protection and support for my ankle
3- (Here’s the big one) Allows for jeans to be worn over the boots
4- comfortable enough for short term walking (possibly at school)

Thanks in advance and ride safe - Dave

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
:confused: Hi every one this is my first post here, as a somewhat new & young rider who is just getting into the sport I was hoping you all could help me with a question. I firmly believe in ATGATT but at the moment when I ride I only wear plain leather boots that do not go very high on my shin. While these have proven great for everyday use I fear that they do not provide adequate protection from impact or abrasion. So onto my question I was hoping someone here could recommend a quality boot designed for motorcycle riding. My criteria follows.
1- Less then $200
2-provides protection and support for my ankle
3- (Here’s the big one) Allows for jeans to be worn over the boots
4- comfortable enough for short term walking (possibly at school)

Thanks in advance and ride safe - Dave
Welcome to the site. Here is a great vendor that many of us use for gear purchases: Boots :: New Enough, LTD Be sure to check their "closeouts" section for killer deals. Here is a thread about many positive experiences with New Enough: http://www.600riders.com/forum/vendor-seller-dealer-reviews/1393-new-enough-feedback.html

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I know of a legendary pair of boots. Unfortunately, they'll drain more than $200 US out of your budget. The good news is their versatility; you can use them for anything including running, jumping, construction working, gardening and even interviews! Most importantly, they're very protective and motorcycle worthy!

They WERE called DAKOTA FIRE & ICE. They are the best boots, but they're not sold anymore. They were $250 Canadian stock!

The good news is there's another style available, which is cheaper! They are built the same way, but the materials are slightly less hardcore (no Vibram grip). No matter.

Here they are:

product_221-lrg.jpg

Mark's Work Wearhouse

Buy these:

zipper.jpg

With these:

solzxsny.jpg

You bake the soles in your oven for 15 minutes. At the same time, you thread the laces through the zipper mods. The soles will meld perfectly with your feet! Is there a better boot? NO!! The total price will be less than $200 US.

Last edited:

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow you guys are great! I’ll be sure to look into both newenough and those boots thanks elms. Keeps the suggestions coming. I have also been looking into ICON field armor boots, does any one have any experience with them?
-Dave ;:thumbup:

C

CombatPenguin

I have the field armor boots from icon, and I love them. I was worried I would have problems shifting with them because I have a size 13 but no problems at all. There durable and comfortable. I tied the laces once and now only need to use the side zipper and the three straps.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a couple of pair of Sidi's - Way tepor and strada evo air. I paid less than 200 for each although the stradas were a used (1 wearing) on eBay to get that price. I find them both comfortable for walking around, the Ways are better for that. Like everything else good fit is important and newenough has nice info on fit in their descrptions if you don't have someplace local to try them on.

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
:DBcityroller- I just looked up both of those boots and love them. Quick question, can i wear my jeans over them (especially the evo air) or do i have to tuck my pants inside the boots? This is a major factor for me b/c I would like to be able to wear them to school if I decide to ride and would prefer not to have to walk around looking like a dork all day with my pants tucked into my boots.

-Dave

W

wrightme43

SIDI rocks. I wear my riding jeans over the boots all the time.

Buy SIDI. Top notch product. You will forget the extra 20$ or 30$ in a few days of wearing them. You will be glad you got them for a very long time. Just a good, comfy, easy to use, and live with piece of very protective gear.

Or PM DefyInertian and ask him why he thinks boots are important. Its a good story.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using the Joe Rocket Meteor boots and I like them so far. They are stiff when you get them but become more comfortable over time. The ease of putting them on and taking them off is probably the main reason I picked them. Also, jeans fit over them fine and they look great with them. $100 or so.

2007_Joe_Rocket_Meteor_Boots_Black.jpg

Bill3508

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
:DBcityroller- I just looked up both of those boots and love them. Quick question, can i wear my jeans over them (especially the evo air) or do i have to tuck my pants inside the boots? This is a major factor for me b/c I would like to be able to wear them to school if I decide to ride and would prefer not to have to walk around looking like a dork all day with my pants tucked into my boots.

-Dave

It's the way I wear them most of the time and haven't had any issues. As long you don't wear skinny leg jeans I'd expect you'd be fine.

s.dave9

Reaction score
Visit site
Wrightme43- Thanks so much for your help I'm now considering upping my budget and waiting till I get a little more cash on hand(just another poor kid) before buying, so i can afford sidi (Is it possible to fall in love with a boot?).

Bill350- Those are some nice looking boots, I love the price and comfort of them. What is your opinion on there protection? I looking for a boot with good ankle support.
- Dave, ride safe

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely keep checking eBay for Sidis - there are always a few pair of nearly new boots for a discount. I don't know what size you are but for example, there's a pair of Strada Evo (non-vented) in a size 45 (~11) right now that's still ~$20 in bidding with 3 days left in the auction.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I picked up my used Sidi boots on Craigslist for $125. They're great! Comfy, protective and fit under jeans. The calf is a little large when I'm not wearing my leathers inside the boot, but hey, when it counts, spend the cash on the right gear!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used pair of AlpineStars for a great price, had only been worn about 10 times. Keep your eye open on the classifieds. I think I paid $150 for a pair of $275.00 boots.

View attachment 7149

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
No offense Elm, but I would never consider those boots you posted as great riding boots.

High-quality purpose built street motorcycle boots are the only way to go IMHO. I actually take it one step further and will only wear race boots but I tend to use my protective equipment every now and then :D

W

wrightme43

No offense Elm, but I would never consider those boots you posted as great riding boots.

High-quality purpose built street motorcycle boots are the only way to go IMHO. I actually take it one step further and will only wear race boots but I tend to use my protective equipment every now and then :D

Come on Nate post pics of why.:eek::eek::eek::squid: :D

Dude that story runs thru my mind every time I think about hopping on the bike with just my plain shoes.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my Oxtars for around $175 and wear them under slacks at the office all the time, very comfortable.
Except in the heat of summer, where I wear my BMW's all day. They're out of your price range, but the coolest, most ventilated boots evar! At speed it feels like you're riding barefoot!

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44192

Last edited:

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
Bill350- Those are some nice looking boots, I love the price and comfort of them. What is your opinion on there protection? I looking for a boot with good ankle support.
- Dave, ride safe

I think they give good ankle support. They might not be as armored as you would like though, but I'm not exactly sure what your looking for. The inside side outer portion of the boot is soft lined and the outside portion facing away from the bike when you ride is rubber armored 1/2-3/4" where the clasp is. So as far as protecting your leg it you got hit by a car on the outside you would probably still be in trouble. I don't know what is really available that will allow superior protection yet allow for street use everyone in a while without making you look like a robot walking.

Bill3508