7500-9000RPM Buzz, Dreaded

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I'm revisiting this topic!
I knew the buzz came from the clutch cable, so that's where I started.
I went over it yesterday while at the fire station, since we were not running a ton of calls.

The first area I went after was the top elbow right off of the lever. I removed the end of the cable, grabbed a 24ga catheter and shot a bunch of white lithium grease into the noisy a$$ elbow. A bunch of silver-grey crud came back out, so I shot some more clean white-lith grease no there for good measure.

I then followed the entire length of the clutch cable and found that it was lying against the starter below the seat. It was on one side of a wire harness and when I felt the backside where it "talked to" the starter housing, I found an indented spot from rubbing.

I took a couple zip ties and when I got it where it was "floating free", I held it there loosely with the black zip ties so it wasn't harrasing anything nearby.

I also checked the oil, (added about 200cc) and lubed my chain.

I rode it from the station to the EMS office this morning, and when I got on it hard, the buzz was 90% less than it was previously.
It still buzzes a little, but only between 8000-8500. This is a huge imporvement from what it was.

If anyone has this problem, I'd strongly suggest following it and seeing where it rubs, and then lube the crap out of the top elbow, but use something to shoot it way down in there, than make sure it's off of everything, being sure to not cinch it too tightly to wires, etc...

Glad I caught this, because now when I get on it I am not focusing on some buzzy cable; I'm riding! It's minor enough to live with now.