Stripped Bar End

eking3030

Reaction score
Visit site
While I was replacing the left bar end, I over tightened it and broke off the inner cylinder with the threads. What now? Do I need to get a new handle bar? Can the threads just be replaced? Can I ride with out the bar end at least for now? Crazy glue? No more gym time for me!
Thanks for your help.

eking3030

Reaction score
Visit site
I am not sure how the handle bars are made, but when I pulled out the bar end the threaded part of the handle bar was attached. I was able to unscrew the threaded part from the bar end. If the handle bar ends are just threaded then it seems like the inside of the bar sheared off. Could this be a defect in the bar?

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
did you actually strip the threads or pull the thread casing out? If you just pulled the casing out you can have a machine shop MIG weld it back in. I did this with my bars because i cut them down. All that's holding those threads in is a spot weld. If you look at the first picture here you can see where I drilled out the old weld, cut the bar down and re-welded the threads back in. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/7433-grrrrr-handlebars.html#post87909 any machine shop should be able to do this in 10 minutes or less. Hope that helps! if all else fails, buy new bars. They're only about $30.

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
Fear not! If the bar end is out you may only have to red drill to a slightly larger size and use this to repair the thread and return to normal.

Heli-Coil Screw Thread Inserts | Emhart.com

+1 My thoughts exactly. I feel this is the best way to go because it is very easy to do and doesn't take long. It's cheap, effective and get's the job done.

Cheapest-- Duct tape and super glue:D

------I read further, lol, and realized this won't work! Just a simple spot weld and you should be on your way! Good luck!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site

eking3030

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I did break the thread casing in half so I will just get new bars if I can't get the bar replaced under warranty. Any suggestion besides stock? What are the difference between the Fz1 and Fz6 bars?

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
If there's still some bar end in the handlebars use an easyout to remove it. Soak the piece with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. Drill a hole in the center as large as possible without hitting the treads. Insert the easy out and gently apply increasing tension until it comes out. The only thing you may have to do is wire brush the internal thread to clean them up and install the new bar end.:thumbup:

If you’re still thinking of new handlebars I would follow the advice of reiobard. The FZ1 bars are a little wider and more comfortable.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
If there's still some bar end in the handlebars use an easyout to remove it. Soak the piece with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. Drill a hole in the center as large as possible without hitting the treads. Insert the easy out and gently apply increasing tension until it comes out. The only thing you may have to do is wire brush the internal thread to clean them up and install the new bar end.:thumbup:

If you’re still thinking of new handlebars I would follow the advice of reiobard. The FZ1 bars are a little wider and more comfortable.

If you can still grab a piece of it then clamp on some vice grips super tight and twist it out. If not just grab a screw extractor kit for a few bucks at the hardware store and it'll come right out.