hiya, center stand help.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, today after only 300 miles on the OD, i decided to use some wd40 sprayed onto a rag to clean the gunk off the chain. Then I lubbed up the chain making dang sure lube didnt go anywhere else but the chain. I have to say it would have been convienent to use the center stand, but obviously I dont have the proper technique for getting the bike up high enough to get it to stand up on it.
Anyone have a tip?
I dont know if its a question of strength, I am 5 foot 6 inch, 185 lbs, can bench 200 ish. but bike weighs near to 400 lbs.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what you do. Put one hand on the front grip, your foot on the center stand, and your other hand on that handle by the rear seat. Push down on the center stand while pulling up on the seat handle and pulling back on the grip. Don't pull up on the grip, but pull back. It should come right up on the center stand.

W

wrightme43

There is a trick

Ok This is the way I do it.

Approach bike from the left.
With my left hand grab the left handle bar grip. It should be turned toward you if you park the way I do. With the right hand grab the grab bar on the left rear. Take your right foot and step on the center stand push peg. It will go to the ground. At this point you pick the bike to straight like its riding down the road. This puts both parts of the center stand on the ground.
At this point you stand with all your wieght on the center stand peg and use it as a leverage point to pull up on the left rear grab bar, and the left front handle bar grip.
It will pop right up like its nothing.

To get it off, just jump on, and rock it forward and catch it with your legs. Its easy.
I put mine on the stand to fill with fuel it lets more in, and use the center stand all the time to lube the chain and check tire pressure and wash the bike.

Do not store the bike on the center stand. The side stand is actually more stable in winds or from bumps.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea but yours was a little more in depth. I forgot to tell him to stand it up like you're riding, and make sure the kick stand is up. LOL

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
/sheepish grin

actually, after i posted i went outside and studied it a bit more. I grabbed the left handle bar with my left hand, and my right hand on the left grab rail. I figured the center stand is a big lever you just put your foot into it, i didnt have to man handle it to get up on the stand as it went right up. thanks for the input.

C Zer

Minnesota Bound
Reaction score
Visit site
I also find it easier to fuel the bike with it on the centerstand.

Don't know what the official instructions would be, and hard to describe rather than show... I stand on the left side of the bike with my left hand on the left handgrip, and my right hand on the left rear grab rail. My left foot is about six to eight inches out from the left driver footpeg . I place the ball or arch of my right foot on the centerstand, and lower it till it contacts with the ground. Pausing for a second to make sure the bike is balanced, I then put much of my weight on the centerstand pushing down and slightly back, at the same time lifting with my right hand, and the bike should rise up and back onto the centerstand. Most of the power comes from putting your weight on the stand, not from lifting with your hand.

Definitely safer to bring the bike down off of the center stand WHILE YOU ARE ON THE BIKE. Just rock the bike forward and it will drop down. I've heard of several people who have dropped the bike by trying to take it off the centerstand while standing next to it.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you figured out the stand so I won't add anything else to that discussion. One thing I would recommend is that you NOT use WD-40 on your chain. I know it's great at dissolving all of that grease and gunk that builds up but in the long term it's a bad idea. The WD-40 will actually form a thin barrier around your chain preventing the wax from bonding and working it's way into the nooks and crannies particularly increasing wear to the O-rings. Best option is to go buy a can of kerosene at lowes, it's $8 and will last at least one riding season, probably two.

Motorcycle Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the idea of refueling with centre stand on :)

Good info on chain lube too ... thank you :thumbup:

W

wrightme43

I use WD-40 to clean my chain. It can not get behind the O rings. They are sealed. It does not harm the O rings. I use PJ-1 chain lube and will untill its empty then I will get the teflon lube at lowes.

I dont spray WD on the chain. I spray it on a rag and use it to clean the chain.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
cool

I was following someone else's recommendation on cleaning the chain, they said kerocene or wd40 worked good. Glad I know after the fact about the lub not sticking well. I'm sure after a while the wd40 effect will wear off and i'll be ok right? Not like i'll ever use it again after learning whats right. I hope i didnt ruin my chain.

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
=)

after using wd40 on a rag, then wipeing the chian, I then used a chain lube out of an aresol can. forgot the name of it now, picked it up at the yamaha dealer, they suggested it.

ecurb

Reaction score
Visit site
Center Stand Warning

The center stand is great for maintenance, but learn from my mistake and be careful where you use it... especially on hot days. I once parked my 750 Maxim on its center stand on a warm spring day and came back from a my softball game to find it laying on its side in the parking lot. The side stand is definitely more stable. The sun softened the asphalt on one side (the other side was in the shade), and she went right over. :confused:

Since then, I carry a plywood disk for parking on suspect surfaces and never use the center stand unless I'm on concrete or staying with the bike. But there's just no substitue for center stand when it comes to maintenance. :)

R

Raid The Revenge

Here's a tip for the infernal:

I disapprove the slamming-force that's applied by a retracting centerstand. I always block the final strike of a retracting centerstand with the heel of my foot.

I really like the green lantern. Adding reputation now...

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
actually, after i posted i went outside and studied it a bit more. I grabbed the left handle bar with my left hand, and my right hand on the left grab rail. I figured the center stand is a big lever you just put your foot into it, i didnt have to man handle it to get up on the stand as it went right up. thanks for the input.

You're right, it's all about leverage... I can put my 650lbs FJR1300 on the centre stand using just 2 fingers on the bike's frame rail.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I use WD-40 to clean my chain. It can not get behind the O rings. They are sealed. It does not harm the O rings. I use PJ-1 chain lube and will untill its empty then I will get the teflon lube at lowes.

I dont spray WD on the chain. I spray it on a rag and use it to clean the chain.
That's the way I do it... I wouldn't spray WD-40 directly on the chain. I am certain no one knows whether a blast of WD-40 with it's solvent base could sneak past or degrade the rubber o-rings....

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You get more in the tank if it is on the centre stand.

I know because my Intruder did not have one so I had to sit on it to keep it upright.

The tank is so small on an intruder, every egg cup full counts

Steve