Shad 50 Top Case and Rack Installation

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally received my Shad50 top case and FZ6 top master kit (rack). I've to say that I am damn IMPRESSED! Much better quality than the Givi's I've seen on my friend's bikes. Claudio@AdventureMotoUSA says that SH50 is currently the best top case in Europe and infact recommended me to get the Shad 50! He advised not to get the brake light kit as it mounts to the plate and is of no use being so close to the stock tail light. Comes with a back rest standard and the topcase and the kit together cost more than $50 lesser than the Givi E52 or V46. The rack is very sturdy and seems better and stronger than the Givi rack. It is the least instrusive also as it will work with any aftermarket exhaust since it is attaches to the grab rails. However installing the topmaster kit is a PITA. Pictures and instructions to follow:
View attachment 6869View attachment 6870

Here is how the rearend looks . Smokin!!
View attachment 6871View attachment 6872

Here is the pic with the seat removed. Next remove the top screws of the side pods with an allen head screwdriver. Remove the pods.
View attachment 6873

Last edited:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Unscrew the lower grab rail bolts. Keep them aside as Shad provides longer ones. Retain their washers in place though.
View attachment 6874View attachment 6875

The difficult PITA part begins now, but Beer is the savior as always!
View attachment 6876

Slide in the larger rack carefully without scratching the grab rail. I accidently put it upside down and while trying to figure out what is the issue I scratched mine . Anyway mine is scratched already so I am not worried.
View attachment 6877View attachment 6878

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Use the plastic washers as described in the manual and install the smaller rack as instructed. Now trying to get all the bolts in place is a bitch mainly due to the welded counternuts in the part that attaches the upper portion of the grab rails. I had to bend one a little to get it to align right. The tolerances are extremely tight and I had to try multiple times loosening/tightening screws to get it right. Don’t tighten all the screws first. Tighten the lower bolts enough so that the grab rail compresses to the required alignment for the top screws but loose enough that you can slide the rack back and forth. Infact as I was tightening I could hear the welds on the counternuts snapping off; only after that the screws aligned with the counternuts properly. But since they will keep rotating while tightening, I pushed in different allen keys to arrest their rotation. Now install the screws for the top rack to secure it tightly to the lower rack. This is how it looks after install.

View attachment 6879View attachment 6880View attachment 6881

Now comes the simple part. Follow the manual for the rest. You’ll only need the shorter screws from the supplied kit from the top case.
View attachment 6882View attachment 6883

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the details - I'm still waiting on my Shad rack (also from adventuremotousa) so I guess it should be here any day now. This will save me from taking a lot of pictures along the way :cool:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you feel about visibililty of the taillight with rack and case on the bike? I was worried about that and plan to add an LED bar to the edge of the rack when I finally get mine.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
It is plenty visible. However I also added 63-LED 1157 bulb in there for more brightness during the day too. Since the Top case creates a shade on it, it brightens up even more during the day compared to the stockers.

Last edited:
F

FZSex

I finally received my Shad50 top case and FZ6 top master kit (rack). I've to say that I am damn IMPRESSED! Much better quality than the Givi's I've seen on my friend's bikes. Claudio@AdventureMotoUSA says that SH50 is currently the best top case in Europe and infact recommended me to get the Shad 50! He advised not to get the brake light kit as it mounts to the plate and is of no use being so close to the stock tail light. Comes with a back rest standard and the topcase and the kit together cost more than $50 lesser than the Givi E52 or V46. The rack is very sturdy and seems better and stronger than the Givi rack. It is the least instrusive also as it will work with any aftermarket exhaust since it is attaches to the grab rails. However installing the topmaster kit is a PITA. Pictures and instructions to follow:
View attachment 6869View attachment 6870

Here is how the rearend looks . Smokin!!
View attachment 6871View attachment 6872

Here is the pic with the seat removed. Next remove the top screws of the side pods with an allen head screwdriver. Remove the pods.
View attachment 6873

Hello fellow Nashville native! Glad i found this on the forum.

I ordered the givi rack and top box but never opened it. After I ordered, I regretted it because I couldn't get used to the look of the rack.

I'm definitely going this route, great post.

F

FZSex

nah twisted throttle are cool folks, I returned the top case and rack for a refund. Exchanged for some risers which I wanted anyway to keep away from the 15% restocking fee, good folks there :thumbup:

F

FZSex

I just ordered my shad top case and top master kit from adventuremotousa.

I went with the SH37 (wanted extra capacity but not EXTRA capacity lol).

Question, with this set up, has anyone tried using the sw-motech removable side supports for the PLX cases or the givi hardware? I'm guessing it may not be possible. Would be a good option though to be able to add the side cases down the road (come on spring, I'm ready for camping)

Found this online, this is what it will look like

93794d1155185313-shad-sh37-topcase-shad-sh37-001.jpg

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not seeing your image so hopefully not reposting something.

In any event Shad does have a side case rack that mates with their top case rack - it bolts into a couple of empty threaded holes in the top rack, to the rear peg brackets, and then over the licence plate light to itself. Not sure whether this would limit you to Shad cases or not.

Rack is Y0FZ64SF. Attached fitting guide shows how it mounts.

F

FZSex

ahhh bet its cause you have to be logged into that forum for the pic to show.

Just uploaded it to picasa to share (if you still dont see it oh well!) haha

Oh thanks for the pdf above - ouch, looks like an ugly setup especially if you already have the tail cleaned up with a FE oh well.

Shad%20SH37%20001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Superchimp

Reaction score
www.niemal.pl
I have a Shad full-set installed and it's really okey. Too bad that my dealer installed the sidecases setup without indicator cable extensions so I have to do it by myself.

Other than that it's really neat set. Especially as I got it free with the bike :thumbup:

samevo8

Reaction score
Visit site
PITA is an understatement. Getting the upper rack + the two spacers + the lower rack to line up around the cross-section of the grab rail is seriously maddening. I worked on it last night, gave up, and will try again tonight.

Use the plastic washers as described in the manual and install the smaller rack as instructed. Now trying to get all the bolts in place is a bitch mainly due to the welded counternuts in the part that attaches the upper portion of the grab rails. I had to bend one a little to get it to align right. The tolerances are extremely tight and I had to try multiple times loosening/tightening screws to get it right. Don’t tighten all the screws first. Tighten the lower bolts enough so that the grab rail compresses to the required alignment for the top screws but loose enough that you can slide the rack back and forth. Infact as I was tightening I could hear the welds on the counternuts snapping off; only after that the screws aligned with the counternuts properly. But since they will keep rotating while tightening, I pushed in different allen keys to arrest their rotation. Now install the screws for the top rack to secure it tightly to the lower rack. This is how it looks after install.

View attachment 6879View attachment 6880View attachment 6881

Now comes the simple part. Follow the manual for the rest. You’ll only need the shorter screws from the supplied kit from the top case.
View attachment 6882View attachment 6883

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
PITA is an understatement. Getting the upper rack + the two spacers + the lower rack to line up around the cross-section of the grab rail is seriously maddening. I worked on it last night, gave up, and will try again tonight.

When I did mine I ended up cross threading one of the bolts had to cut it off and use a nut and bolt. They could of made it heftier in that area. But I always ride with :thumbup:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Let me update that the rack nicely scrapes the grab rail due to the scews almost taking a chip out of it. The clearances are extremely tight and difficult to get it right each time you reinstall. But I don't care about the grab rail anyways. It is supposed to get scratched from bungee cords, luggage, my leg when getting on the bike, etc.