Weatherproofing your beauty

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a bad idea and any thoughts regarding this but I was thinking. I ride most weather and wash the bike alot trying to keep on top of the rust situation but inevitably, it will always happen. most annoying to me is the furring of bolts which are an obvious sign of times and the wierd "crystalising" (i suspect furring as well) on the brake lines at the point the point where they attach into the brake pots but aren't the rubber/metal hoses running from your handlebars.

I had a thought though. I used to drive an old Vespa PX of which i had the chrome racks to look the biz but inevitably suffered from rusting through. So before it got too bad, i went to Halfords and bought a spray can of clear laquer and "sealed" it. Surprisingly, this worked VERY effectively. It lost some of its shiny lustre under the coat but that was to be expected and would have been ineveitable after a years rain rinding anyhow.

The question i ask is this: If i was to carefully spray laquer exposed fixings, bolts and rustable points on the bike, do you think this would be a good idea? Fully cleaned, this should protect them from tarnish and also make them easier to clean. Can anyone think of a negative to this idea? A few i have thought off are as follows:

1. The laquer will obviously seal so make sure all fixings are done individually.
2. If the laquer was on the threads of the screws, could this damage the thread it goes into?

Anybody have any good ideas?

X

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
I live within a stones throw of the beach so rust is a major problem for me. I have taken each bolt out one by one and coated the threaded section with copper grease. I have a jar of Japan black, the same dye they use to colour the bolts at the factory when new. When I remove a bolt, I re-stain it before replacing.

I wash my bike with a little diesel added to the bucket and dry the bike with a high powered blower. Bike is now two years old and not a sign of rust

Hope this helps

FZ6-ZN

castor

Reaction score
Visit site
What.........the..............?????:eek:

ARE YOU SERIOUS?:jawdrop:

That could easily be a seriously smart solution. See, when you add diesel into water during wash, water drains or vapourise off the bike, but diesel stays on top and get in under bolts and joints and actually makes a fine thin film protection...

Smart, FZ6-ZN... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just good ol clean water is not going to do anything with most metals. So rinse the bike off frequently and wash it once in a while using automotive soap that has a polish/wax mixed in.

I have to admit diesel sounds crazy.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hit the rust points with WD-40 once in a while (After washing or riding in the rain), then wipe off the excess. You'll never see rust develop there, period. :D

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use this:
Blue Coral - Car Care Products

thumbs

xeres

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for the input and tips guys.

Thing is, what do you all think of my idea of laquering? Worth doing? Its darn hard to stay on top of rust and if you miss it once, its already too late.

X

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking of corrosion protection as well, there are loads of after wash products out there that protect from corrosion but most of the ones I have seen warn against getting any on the brake discs and pads which is a pain with a spray on solution.
I have found this one in a local store that is ok on braking surfaces.
Wurth Sa Besto Corrosion Inhibitor 08901351
http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_10_0026.pdf
Not had a chance to use it yet but if its anything like their other products that I use at work, should be pretty good.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this a bad idea and any thoughts regarding this but I was thinking. I ride most weather and wash the bike alot trying to keep on top of the rust situation but inevitably, it will always happen. most annoying to me is the furring of bolts which are an obvious sign of times and the wierd \\"crystalising\\" (i suspect furring as well) on the brake lines at the point the point where they attach into the brake pots but aren't the rubber/metal hoses running from your handlebars.

I had a thought though. I used to drive an old Vespa PX of which i had the chrome racks to look the biz but inevitably suffered from rusting through. So before it got too bad, i went to Halfords and bought a spray can of clear laquer and \\"sealed\\" it. Surprisingly, this worked VERY effectively. It lost some of its shiny lustre under the coat but that was to be expected and would have been ineveitable after a years rain rinding anyhow.

The question i ask is this: If i was to carefully spray laquer exposed fixings, bolts and rustable points on the bike, do you think this would be a good idea? Fully cleaned, this should protect them from tarnish and also make them easier to clean. Can anyone think of a negative to this idea? A few i have thought off are as follows:

1. The laquer will obviously seal so make sure all fixings are done individually.
2. If the laquer was on the threads of the screws, could this damage the thread it goes into?

Anybody have any good ideas?

X

Well I was reading (in a Dutch magazine) about preparing your bike for the winter and one of the guys recomended this spray from Motip it's heat and petrol/oil proof, apparently there are clear sprays out there which quickly become tarnished by petrol and/or heat.
Hope you can use this info or have you already treated your bike?

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is a 2006 FZ6 and I have looked all over the place and cannot find any rust at all,
I ride it in all weathers and live 3km from the sea.

I treat it like a cruiser and it gets washed and waxed very regularly.

After I wash it, dry it and wax it I always ride it for ten minutes, if it is not raining and the road is dry, in the hope the wind and engine heat will dry any places I could not get to.

I have washed and waxed it this weekend and tucked it to bed for the winter but I bet it sneaks out for an hour if we have some more sunny days.

Steve