How to Install No-Cut Shogun Frame Sliders

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
So I didn't see a thread for this, and I'm sure there are some people who want to know what they're going to have to do when they get frame sliders. Mine were no-cut Shogun Sliders...$40 at the Yamaha dealer.

Well, I was told it was easy, and yup, it is.

Step 1: Prepare with a beer and Potato chips
Step 2: Get a socket wrench or torque wrench with 8mm allen hex end thingy
Step 3: Drink Beer
Step 4: Undo engine bolts (pic to come tonight after work since I forgot my camera)
Step 5: Both bolts in the slider box are the same length. Put the LONGER slider on the LEFT side of the bike and tighten down. Tighten tight or with torque wrench, tighten to 40lbs
Step 6: Drink Beer
Step 7: Keep old engine bolts, label them, and keep for a rainy day.
Step 8: Drink Beer and behold your awesomeness.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Shoguns on my bike too.

I deviated just a bit from your instructions, though. In Step 1, I used a piece of beef jerky instead of potato chips. :rolleyes:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
OK, so what do you guys think?

The slider on the left side of the bike sticks out a lot more than the right side. I just wonder if I did a lowside to the ride side of the bike if this slider will really protect the bike?

Does anyone have any "REAL" testing of these frame sliders on the right side? Please post up the results? I'm noticing a lot of people have gone down recently (hence why I got mine) but a lot of people have Motovation sliders...

the dealer told me people have come in with the Shoguns and it saved their bike a lot of cosmetics...so I trust them since I got my bike there, they know me, and so far haven't lied to me and are genuinely helpful. Anyways, what do you all think?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone have any "REAL" testing of these frame sliders on the right side? Please post up the results? I'm noticing a lot of people have gone down recently (hence why I got mine) but a lot of people have Motovation sliders...
Well, since I had my first drop yesterday, and I have the Shoguns installed, guess I'm qualified to answer. :rolleyes:
Of course I can't say what the damage would've been without the slider, but all I had was a minor scratch on the right mirror, chip out of the front fairing point, and light scratch on the rear plastic thingamablob under the rear seat. I was going extremely slowly when it happened. Handlebar end did not touch.
For 100% protection, you'd need three frame sliders on each side, as a tipped-over bike will continue to fall until three points touch the ground. One frame slider per side won't provide 100% protection, but it will sure minimize any damage.
I'm now a believer! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

GrownAWoman

Grown A. Woman
Reaction score
Visit site
So I didn't see a thread for this, and I'm sure there are some people who want to know what they're going to have to do when they get frame sliders. Mine were no-cut Shogun Sliders...$40 at the Yamaha dealer.

Well, I was told it was easy, and yup, it is.

Step 1: Prepare with a beer and Potato chips
Step 2: Get a socket wrench or torque wrench with 8mm allen hex end thingy
Step 3: Drink Beer
Step 4: Undo engine bolts (pic to come tonight after work since I forgot my camera)
Step 5: Both bolts in the slider box are the same length. Put the LONGER slider on the LEFT side of the bike and tighten down. Tighten tight or with torque wrench, tighten to 40lbs
Step 6: Drink Beer
Step 7: Keep old engine bolts, label them, and keep for a rainy day.
Step 8: Drink Beer and behold your awesomeness.

I just installed lower fairings...I had to remove the frame sliders so the fairings would fit...how to I replace frame sliders if there are no holes for them in the lower fairings? do I need to cut holes in my new fairings to reinstall new, longer frame sliders? is there some other place on the bike where the frame sliders can be installed?:confused::don'tknow:

Attachments

• new fairings3.jpg
    new fairings3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 598

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Good looking bike! As for the sliders, are you sure they don't fit through a hole in the fairing or something? Seems a shame they'd sell them without taking sliders into consideration. Perhaps someone on the board knows, but otherwise, bust out your dremmel tool!

A

Aggietaco

I don't think any of the fairing kits come pre-drilled for frame sliders. If the fairings hug the bike close enough, you might be able to drill a hole small enough for just the bolt, otherwise, you'll need to break out a hole saw.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
dang, i thought i had posted pics and i remember deleting them to make room for halloween photos....anyways, at the time it was Bud Light...currently it would be Heineken...depends what's in the stash!

YoungC33

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i just got done putting these on and wow that was easy, they look pretty sharp as well. Have yet tipped my bike over to see what else I need to reinforce too cold. Hopefully soon. Thanks for all the great input.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i just got done putting these on and wow that was easy, they look pretty sharp as well. Have yet tipped my bike over to see what else I need to reinforce too cold. Hopefully soon. Thanks for all the great input.

Yea sliders have to be the easiest mod. Take a bolt out, and put a new one in.:D

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Shogun sliders I'm about to install..was just wondering if the bolts that come with them are steel? I've read in a few threads that if they are, then you can't torque them down to 40lb/ft because the frame is aluminum. Seems some people have stripped the frame of some threading.

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the install last night. Was really easy and didn't take any more than a few minutes. I skipped the steps involving beer though...went riding for a while after putting them on. Once I got home for the night was a different story!

Here's a couple pics.

Right side.
IMG_8101R.jpg

Left side.
IMG_8100L.jpg