Michelin Pilot Road 2

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well I have ordered up a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's from a local Yamaha dealer who is also going to do my 25,000km service at the same time. Not looking forward to this VISA bill......

Yes, my stock Bridgestone Battlax tires have lasted this long! :thumbup:

Cost for the Pilot Road 2 were (in CDN funds)
Front = $203.00 (120/70 -ZR17)
Rear=$260.00 (180/55 - ZR17)
(+ taxes, + mounting)

Decided to give these a try. Their ratings and reviews seemed very positive: Pilot Road²

ImageServlet

I will write up a review once I get em on next week.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Look forward to hearing what you think. I have them on my short list. The thing is the Bridgestone was working and lasting great!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Look forward to hearing what you think. I have them on my short list. The thing is the Bridgestone was working and lasting great!

Yeah, I am amazed at how long the BT's have lasted. My friends have roughly the same mileage and they are on their 2nd and 3rd sets of tires.

I thought about just ordering up another set of Battlax's as they are tried and ture, but figured it would be a good time to try something new and see if there are any noticable riding and performance differences.

Since I ride year round and mostly commuting miles, I wanted something good on the road/highway with good water dispersion. These would seem to fit the bill.

Last edited:

BobSchmickle

Reaction score
Visit site
I put these on my bike shortly after getting it (had a screw in back one), and I like the feel of them. Good grip for my needs. I have noticed they are quite noisy, especially between 55-62 MPH. Maybe I'm just not used to not having the extra fairings blocking the noise. Maybe it is the concrete roads around here. Just my 2 cents.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Hmmm..interesting point about concrete roads. We are all asphalt here in Western Canada....extra soft and grippy on warm days! Thanks for the 2 cents!

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading tons of tire threads at SBN I've come to a conclusion that Conti Road Attacks are the best in terms of fast warm up, grip, wet grip, turn-in, mileage and price.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Battlaxes lasted 10,140 miles (so far), my new Pilot Powers get installed Monday! Will be interesting to compare notes.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Boneman, you wont be dissapointed, i have these on my bike, they are fantastic, great in wet & dry, great feedback, and if you do a bit of Sport Riding, they do the gig very well...awesome allround tyre, seem to be wearing extremely well too.

:rockon:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After reading tons of tire threads at SBN I've come to a conclusion that Conti Road Attacks are the best in terms of fast warm up, grip, wet grip, turn-in, mileage and price.

I have the Conti on the short list too. The dude who was banned recently had a set and really liked them too. Good to know. Thanks! :thumbup:

castor

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mounted this set on my bike just on the beginning of last month. In the meantime I have made some 2000km on them and I haven't noticed almost any sign of wearing on them. I still have those little gum-sticks (I don't know how else to call them) on tyres.

Been riding 800 kilometers on rain with no slips, great traction and a whole lot of water throw out/under of them...

Before them I had Metzeler Roadtec Z6 (paired front and rear, they go that way because of specific rear tyre pattern) which lasted around 16k km.

For me these Michelin's are better then Metzeler's. I mostly ride easy, but I like curved roads and to keep steady speeds in corners... :D

Before I decided which tyres to but I have been wandering over the net, lurking and seeking for some test or review of tyres. In the end I have managed to get to original Motorrad's test for which I have found results just here!

Here is the translation of the original Motorrad's test page... Translation is pretty damn good...

After you read all this, I hope you will have less trouble to decide which set to buy...

:thumbup:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Ok, picked up my bike last night from it's 25,000km service and getting it's new set of Michelin Pilot Roads 2s installed ($1,079.00 CDN total).

Wow what a different ride with these tires!

I noticed right away how these tires love to dip into turns! The bike almost turns itself into curves with far less input needed on the controls. I haven't hit the twisites yet as I will wait first untill I put a few hundred km's on them to get rid of the 'new tire slippiness'.

You can deffinatley feel two riding surfaces; one when just riding straight and the seoncd when you lean the bike over. You can feel the bike 'lock in' in turns and it's like it's on rails.

I never realized how much difference tires could make in a bike!!

I'll check back in a few weeks when I've really put them through their paces.

Rob2222

Reaction score
www.rob2222.de
Ok, picked up my bike last night from it's 25,000km service and getting it's new set of Michelin Pilot Roads 2s installed ($1,079.00 CDN total).

Wow what a different ride with these tires!

I noticed right away how these tires love to dip into turns! The bike almost turns itself into curves with far less input needed on the controls. I haven't hit the twisites yet as I will wait first untill I put a few hundred km's on them to get rid of the 'new tire slippiness'.

You can deffinatley feel two riding surfaces; one when just riding straight and the seoncd when you lean the bike over. You can feel the bike 'lock in' in turns and it's like it's on rails.

I never realized how much difference tires could make in a bike!!

I'll check back in a few weeks when I've really put them through their paces.

Hrhr, nice to read exact the same experience that I had as I switched to the Pilot Road 2 on my TRX. Would like to have them on my FZ6, too, but my BT20 just have 2600km's now. Maybe I switch and sell the BT20 on eBay in spring.

BR Robert

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews. Just put on Pilot Powers, wanted roads but they did not have any in stock and I was repairing a flat. Figure I'll need a new set around the time of the Dragons Tail meet in june so I am intersted in seeing how the Pilot Road 2's work.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just replaced my pilot road 2's, got just over 10000km's out of them. Rode in wet & dry, hot & cold, all through winter, never had one moment with them, whether in treacherous wet conditions on winding roads, or whether in full sport mode. They wore perfectly till the end, no flattening in the middle, no feathering. Super impressive tyre, can't recommend them highly enough!

Have just put Power 2ct's for summer, they also seem great, although I expect lower mileage out of them.

fragchild

Reaction score
Visit site
I put these on my bike shortly after getting it (had a screw in back one), and I like the feel of them. Good grip for my needs. I have noticed they are quite noisy, especially between 55-62 MPH. Maybe I'm just not used to not having the extra fairings blocking the noise. Maybe it is the concrete roads around here. Just my 2 cents.

Mine were extremely noisy as well in this range. Then I decided to check my air pressure. Front was 15psi rear was 18psi. Not good I know, luckily I had only rode the bike 3 times. Once I put proper air on them the noise went away.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Just about used up a set of road2's on my FJR
Those babies are at the wear bars and still handle great. Fine tire for sure!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed right away how these tires love to dip into turns! The bike almost turns itself into curves with far less input needed on the controls.
I noticed that too when I first got my Pilot Powers put on, but I realized that my high-mileage (>10,000mi) Battlax's were pretty squared off, I think that had a lot to do with it.
The only way to test that theory is to buy the same kind of tires twice in a row, and see if there's a big difference. I'm not ready to do that yet, my >4,000 mile Pilot Powers still look fine, and I'll be trying the Pilot Road 2's the next set.

Guess I just need to ride more! :rockon:

viser_08

Reaction score
Visit site
I just mounted these tires on my bike this week, I'll post some thoughts about them in a few weeks after riding. They seem to be a good reviewed tire!