Shoei RF-1000 Review

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Parts411

Well, here's the final update: I didn't want to rock the boat considering I couldn't find the Strife Blue/Black anywhere for under $400.00 and would only take that model.

7/29/08 - Ordered
8/04/08 - Credit card charged
8/06/08 - No update on WWW. Called for tracking number. Was told "We're not that sophisticated and the WWW will never update. Shipping tonight or tomorrow and we'll e-mail you the tracking number." (This is free shipping, UPS ground from CA to NH)
8/12/08 - Called to ask for the tracking number. After getting the number, see that it is "Out for Delivery" :steve: Came home and my favorite UPS driver (who knows we don't get home till after 5:30 PM) shows up at 6 PM with a new Shoei RF-1000 in hand. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thus, while Parts411 is behind the times with technology, they came through in the time frame I fully expected from CA to NH and patience paid off. OK place to work with if you're not in any hurry. ;)

Here's the prize!

View attachment 6726 View attachment 6727

View attachment 6728 View attachment 6729

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't know Eric, with a lid like that you may have to dust off those artistic skills and create some vinyl graphics for the bike:rockon:

Very nice, let us know the comfort level, fit/finish/ wind noise and break in period...

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I don't know Eric, with a lid like that you may have to dust off those artistic skills and create some vinyl graphics for the bike:rockon:

Very nice, let us know the comfort level, fit/finish/ wind noise and break in period...

I thought about that already. :thumbup: Thought of some dragon work for the bike. ;)

Well, initial reaction is an excellent fit. I did try on this very helmet and size at two different places before buying to be certain this was the correct fit. It fits as tight as it should with no movement. The comfort thus far is very nice! I wore it for almost 30 minutes at the computer tonight. :rockon: But tomorrow, I'll get to road-test it for the first time. More comments to follow!

BTW, it came with a removable breath guard and chin curtain. Both are installed and I'll likely test without them as well. The vent system looks to be very useful. I'm told the helmet is very quiet with them all closed and no whistles when open but real test coming.

The best thing about this model is the visor indents so I can ride with the visor in any one of 7 positions, at speed, from open to close. That was something I was looking hard for and found with the RF-1000.

Sweet!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

It took me a lot of research, testing the fit and finding all the features I wanted in a helmet. But, what is right for me is not right for others. This one simply fit most of what I was looking for without breaking my wallet! I can tell you it is a FAR CRY from the Z1R Stance I've had for three seasons. It served it's purpose and will continue to do so because I'm going to permanently mount my FRS radio PTT speakers and mic into the Z1R for road trips (like the Northest Meet!) I don't want to muck up the new Shoei. If I do anything with that, it will be along the lines of a Scala or Chatterbox which can be removed easily. :thumbup:

I relied heavily on Web Bike World's reviews and fitment guides for head shapes, etc... Extremely helpful! What I REALLY would like to have is the new Schuberth C3 modular coming out soon. Far too much money for me though. :eek:

If you decide on one, use the Parts411 coupon trick to see what the discount is there first! :D

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Review!!!

First ride with the new Shoei RF-1000 Strife helmet:

Fit and comfort was GREAT! It's deceiving because the ear cavities are large making it "feel" like the helmet doesn't fit right, however, it doesn't move without pulling my skin/scalp. This seems to be more for a round head and my head is slightly more oval than round but the amount of padding will break-in and form to the shape of my head over time.

Weight: When the box was delivered, I found it hard to believe there was a helmet in it! I'll bet the packaging and packing with the two boxes was one third of the total weight!

Venting is AWESOME! I had them all open with the breath guard installed and visor closed. I couldn't fog the shield at all even with forced heavy breathing. Excellent! The top vents along with the rear exhaust vents open created a very cool stream of air over the top of my head. Perfect in my opinion! (It was about 62 degrees this morning for the ride to work with high humidity and lots of dew)

Visor positions were as promised. Tested all clicks at 75 mph. No issues.

Noise reaches a LOW level peak at about 30 mph and doesn't really change with speed. It is still VERY quiet with all the vents open. Tonight I will ride with the vents closed. It's at least 80% quieter than the cheap Z1R I was wearing.

Because of the aerodynamics, it is a lot less turbulent behind cages. Both helmets react the same in open air.

Initial ride has FZ6inNH FZ6inHeaven! It's the lid I was looking for!

Thus far, one minor drawback.... tough to put on the Maui Jim sunglasses because I cannot seem to get the bows over my ears and the glasses are extremely flexible. That took several attempts. I may have to buy a pair with more rigid bows or start carrying two visors and swap if I'm out past sundown. A tinted/mirrored visor is a LOT cheaper than a new pair of Maui Jim's! Far from a show stopper though! You cannot beat a "fitted helmet" :thumbup:

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Parts411 (Quest Complete w/Pics!)

I realized this was my own threadjack. I took these posts from the Vendor feedback and copied them to this new thread. My apologies! :D

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it pretty close to the normal size you wore with your other helmet? I have an HJC CL-15 in an XS and there is some movement but it is the smallest there is.. hrm... maybe I need a child size street helmet if there is one...

Mr.Spoofy

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same model in the Sever graghics. Its been a great helmet, but being my first and only one so far I can’t offer any input on how it compares to others.

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I to love this helmet, I've had 7 helmets this THE BEST. I have the pinlock visor with the dark insert and like it. It takes up less space when removed and is flexible, I carry a soft towel to wrap it in. The pins give a faint noise depending on head position while riding at slower speeds. I got a deal when I bought my helmet so I'm not sure of price. I know there are different inserts you can get ie: amber.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is it pretty close to the normal size you wore with your other helmet? I have an HJC CL-15 in an XS and there is some movement but it is the smallest there is.. hrm... maybe I need a child size street helmet if there is one...

Hey Deb! It is the exact same as the Z1R in size. But, unlike the Z1R, you can replace the cheek pads in the RF-1000 with thicker and thinner ones to adjust the fit. Perhaps a trip to the locals for a test fit? If it fits close to what you want, you can then buy the thicker cheek pads to finish off the fit and tighten it up! :thumbup:

thirty_too

FZ6 Junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
the rf-1000 is the by far my favorite helmet... this is all i ride with... all the qualities of this helmet are excellent... however i find when the nose vent is open the air tends to tickle my nose but usually im ok lol... also i received a breath guard and a wind guard... used both the other day and both work very nicely.... also i have jsut purchased a dark smoke lens for my rf1000 and boy what a difference. I used to wear sun glasses under the clear but the dark smoke gives me more periph and more comfort. I highly recommend this helmet to anyone. I wear a size 7 -1/4 ball cap and a large on the helmet if that helps anyone... so final conclusion...:thumbup:

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
i too have an rf-1000, and comparing it to my old hjc is no comparison, the shoei wins hands down. i do get some fogging when its cold outside (30-40 degrees), but have a pinlock visor im going to try out when it gets cold. not a single hot spot on my head from the helmet, like it was made for me.

in europe, shoei sells something called a "whisper strip", basically a piece of fabric that goes around the base of the helmet, and is supposed to seal off against sound, cold, and wind. i wish they sold them in the states.

the only other comment i have is when my chin vent is open, it makes a high pitched noise when at highway speeds. i think its because of the airflow over my tallish windscreen hits it just right. i generally keep the chin vent closed because the helmet has some good airflow even without it (although, the chin vent might keep the fogging down some if i opened it).

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean something like this? http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/windjammer/helmet-wind-blocker.htm :D

Yeah, the chin vent is meant to direct air up onto the inside of the visor to clear it of moisture and fogging. Did your helmet come with the breath guard? If not, write them an e-mail and ask for it... they may give you one for free. They are supposed to be top notch with customer service. :rockon:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site

Two thoughts - first is along with FZ6inNH that if you're interested find a local to try on and the RF-1000 does have replaceable cheek pads.

Second is that Shoei at least makes an XXS for the RF-1000 so if cheek pads aren't enough you should be able to size down one more.

Incidentally, I also have an RF-1000 and think it's fanatastic - I tried everything on I could locally and found the fit for my head to be excellent. It was huge step up in build quality, venting, low noise and shield optics compared to my low-range KBC I had previously.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean something like this? Motorcycle Helmet Wind Blocker - webBikeWorld :D

Yeah, the chin vent is meant to direct air up onto the inside of the visor to clear it of moisture and fogging. Did your helmet come with the breath guard? If not, write them an e-mail and ask for it... they may give you one for free. They are supposed to be top notch with customer service. :rockon:

yes, Shoeis "whisper strip" is similar to the windjammer, but its made specifically for the Shoei helmets (meaning it fits better)..

i do use the breath guard as well when its cold. mostly, my faceshield fogs up when im stopped at a light and its cold outside. it will clear off within seconds, but while im stopped, i dont like not being able to see...thats why ive got a pinlock shield waiting for the cold.

Steve F

Reaction score
Visit site
To my shame I'm using a way too old Shoei RF-200. I love it, very comfortable, but I'm long overdue for a new helmet. I haven't tried a RF-1000 on the noggin yet but I assume it will be as comfortable as my old Shoei.

I'm also looking at a Scorpion EXO-1000. It feels comfortable and I love the idea of having a retractable tinted visor. However the immediate thing I noticed about it was the click positions of the visor. The visor itself isn't as solid & firm as my old Shoei. As far as I can tell you can't get numerous clicked positions of being barely open like the Shoei. That's important to me. A tiny bit of opening or closing makes all the difference in the right amount of air flow.

So I have to decide whether I want the tinted visor or better air flow. Decisions, decisions. This thread has great info on the RF-1000. thanks.

Anyone care to offer other thoughts on EXO-100 v.s. RF-1000 ???

VWci

Reaction score
Visit site
I have Shoei XR-1000, I like it but it doesnt come with neither breath guard nor chin curtain....:(