First oil change

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Well since I was coming up on the first oil change, I decided to do it myself and save some time/money. Funny thing about doing something new, you have to mess it up to really learn how to do it! So I put a 6 quart oil catcher thing under the plug and notice I can't really line it up with the plug and know this oil is going to shoot out. I risk it, take the plug out slooooowly and then BAM its shooting all over before the pressure reduced enough to catch it in the bin. So I have an oily floor, no big deal. Change the filter, no problems. Put said plug back in with a new filter, no problems. I start putting oil in and checking the level as I go. Funny, seems to be taking alot more than I thought it oughta. Oh well, keep going. Finally get it to the middle of the hashes, and then realize I am not on my centerstand. Uh oh. Throw it on the centerstand and check, WAYYYY high. Dang. So back to the plug. Loosen a little til its just a trickle and keep checking until it seems right. Turn it on, let it run, turn it off, let it settle... check again.... low. Must have filled up the filter and got into the lines. So back to putting oil in. Finally get it right and after triple checking, all is well. Whew.

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree, gotta learn to do it sometime. Plus I got to give the whole bike a checkout myself, makes me feel better about things, after all, I'm the one who's riding it. The video would have been much better if when draining my oil out the second time the plug popped the whole way out, 2 engine-fulls in that container, might have made an even bigger mess.

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed my oil yesterday, and I forgot to buy a funnel since my friend moved out that always loaned me his. I didn't let that stop me, so I made one out of tinfoil and was doing good for about 2 quarts when it suddenly folded itself in half. Doh.

Bill3508

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing regarding overshooting the oil pan. It just won't fit under there good with the stand down. Going to have to find something else to catch it.

Bill3508

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is why whenever I do something with liquids on the bike or cars or anything, I always put down large pieces of cardboard, even under the pan, and have something like paper towels or floor dry around in case. I've spilled stuff regularly and it helps!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just changed my oil yesterday, and I forgot to buy a funnel since my friend moved out that always loaned me his. I didn't let that stop me, so I made one out of tinfoil and was doing good for about 2 quarts when it suddenly folded itself in half. Doh.

in a pinch i use 2 sheets of printer paper rolled into a cone and then taped at the seam to hold it together, it is fairly sturdy and always seems to hold up for a while. But it is always easier to use an actual funnel.