New Guy

CC32

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, my name is Chuck and I’m a new 2007 FZ6 owner, new member, and new rider as of August 2006. I traded in my Ninja 500R on the FZ6 4 weeks ago. The Ninja is a very nice bike and I have nothing bad to say about it. It has a top speed near 130, four second 0-60 time (which beats almost any car on the road), is good handling, reliable and has lots of nice features for a very reasonable price. So if I liked the Ninja so much why did I trade it? Simple, it just didn’t fit me. I didn’t find the riding position to be overly bent over but I found my legs to be too bent period (I’m 5’11” btw). I had pain and cramping in my hips every time I rode. A number of times I had to pull over and jump off the bike to stretch and relieve the cramps. I noticed the tight leg position the first time I climbed on but I thought I would get used to it. I was a brand new rider (recent BRC grad) and just didn’t know. This spring I found myself a little unenthusiastic about riding and realized it was because I just wasn’t comfortable on the bike. I would have to find a new ride or quit riding.

After some research I had narrowed down my focus to either the FZ6 or the Suzuki SV650S. I went to the dealer leaning toward the Suzuki because it is lighter and somewhat cheaper. I only had to climb on the bike to realize that my legs were just as cramped as on the Ninja, maybe even more so. The Yamaha was so much better. The seat to peg distance is probably only about an inch longer but it makes a big difference. I had briefly looked at the FZ6 when I was shopping for my first bike but I had read a review in Motorcyclist (2004 model I think) that mentioned rough shifting and a difficult clutch engagement zone, two things I didn’t want to face as a brand new rider. I was also a little intimidated by the bike’s power so I went with the Ninja.

One other bike I looked at and was very impressed by was the KTM 690 Supermoto. I really like this bike for its sporty style, comfortable position, and all around cool factor. The ability to run on dirt roads as well as pavement was attractive but its highway capabilities are far less than those of the FZ6 with its fairing and 90 hp engine. Also the 690 is about $1300 more expensive, so no deal. Maybe someday I can get a second bike.

The second time I visited my dealer the blue FZ6 had been sold out from under me. I had to have the blue one, it’s faster due to the higher frequency of blue light compared to red light, and it’s prettier. After some persuasion they agreed to try a dealer trade and found me a blue one in New Mexico. I was a little nervous riding away as I didn’t want to stall it in front of the dealership. I was extra careful and got off successfully. The first time I accelerated down the road I was delighted with how smooth and responsive the throttle was. I knew right away I’d made the right choice. I don’t find the bike to be peaky or too high strung (as some reviews have claimed). It is quite tractable in city riding and goes like a bullet when opened up on the highway, although I’m still in break-in mode and careful not to ride it too hard. Shifting is quite fine although not silky smooth. I expect that to improve with the miles. I will say that the clutch engagement is a tad bit tricky when moving from a stop. You need to give it some revs to prevent stalling but the sweet spot is narrow and it’s easy to go too high, causing the bike to lurch forward instead of rolling on smoothly. This will get better as my skill level gets better. I am extremely happy with my FZ6.
I apologize for the lengthy post but I thought perhaps that newbies and those considering purchase of an FZ6 might be interested in my experiences.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, looks like you did some good research. This is a great site for Q's & A's, and we have many members who are very knowledgeable regarding the skills and abillities to answer just about any questions you may have. The great thing about joining this forum now is is that any questions you may have regarding the bike might have already been answered.

jerry433

jerry433
Reaction score
Visit site
Try 153 mph, and this is without a windshield, and I think it's the earlier version FZ6 before the 2007 when Yamaha did motor upgrades
youtube.com

I also found a 0-100km which is 0-62mph of 3.2 seconds, may also be on an earlier version FZ6

[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=mZAhSmdksdE&feature=related"]YouTube - FZ6 crazynikos-246 top speed 2[/nomedia]

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome new guy...... Where in Colorado?
And blue might be faster but red is sexier! (least it was till I put it down yesterday) :(

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no, I didn't post it...felt foolish enough. I stopped for a car, cut the corner too sharp, put my foot in gravel, kissed the street.....
worst part, John is out of town. Luckily there was a man in the parking lot to help me pick it up.

J

jsteinb95

no, I didn't post it...felt foolish enough. I stopped for a car, cut the corner too sharp, put my foot in gravel, kissed the street.....
worst part, John is out of town. Luckily there was a man in the parking lot to help me pick it up.

That sucks.....glad you're ok. :(

Davop

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I''m sure you will enjoy the FZ6. It has the ergos of of a liter bke, which is great for taller guys (I'm 6'). It took me awhile to use the clutch and throttle well, but I hadn't riden in a long time. The shifter was notchy when new, but has gotton quite smooth with miles.