Battery not holding charge/ Starter Problem

BayArea FZ6 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello again fellow FZ6 riders,

A few weeks ago I have been having battery problems with my bike. I think I finally isolated the problem. My battery has been losing charge or not holding charge for some time. I bought a tender and it works for a few days after fully charge. After reading some tips online, (PAGE NAME - MotorcyleAnchor.COM), I disconnected removed the negative lead on the battery and measured to see if there was current between the negative lead and negative terminal and there was, about 5.4 amps. So according to those tips, it was a wiring problem and therefore I disconnected lights and so on to see were the hot wire was located. When I disconnected the starter relay the reading went straight to ZERO. So, I assume that is where the "hot circuit" is at that is draining my battery. I look to see if I could fine any part of the wire that were bare or stripped and I found nothing. HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE HERE? I am not a mechanic and I really don't want to mess with my bike if I don't know what I am doing. I just want to know if this has happened to anyone and if it is an easy fix or do I have to take it to a mechanic? Any suggestions would really help. And thank you in advance for comments and suggestions.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The starter relay maybe bad. I have had this happen on other bikes, sometimes you just get bad parts. The contacts in the relay bay be corroded and sticking. I would see of you can swap out another relay. You might be able to test it with a multi meter. If the bike is under warranty, let the dealer figuire it out.

mb1

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a 07 with 0 miles on it a few months ago, made it 17 miles away from dealership when it would hold charge. turned out the coil was bad from factory...

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Based on your description of the test to get the 5.4 amps, confirm that you did this test with the ignition key off and removed from the bike....

Is this correct?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The starter relay would only draw that kind of current if the relay coil was shot, but not likely so I would expect that the starter relay contact is passing current to the starter motor. If the relay is suspect, remeasure the current from the negative of the battery as you did before except pull the main fuse to see if the current is still there. If so, replace the starter relay. If not, then pull the relay and confirm whether there is voltage across the L/W and R/W colored wires in the relay socket. There should be no voltage present here while the key is in the "off" position.

BayArea FZ6 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks biker_dude43. I will try that tonight. When you write "pull the main fuse" do you mean the fuse next to the starter relay or the main fuse located in the fuse box towards the rear of the bike. Thanks for you help again and I will let you know how it went.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
How old is your battery? I know that gel batteries can last a few years before they need to be replaced, but that isn't always the case. I had to replace mine this past summer. I have a 2006 FZ6, and I assume that the battery was still the same one, and not been replaced. At first I thought my battery was dead, so I talked with a local dealer, and they said to bring it in. I brought it in and they said it was dead, and charged it up for me. I took it home and found it was dead again. I wasn't sure if it was the battery because it took a couple days before I installed it again. There was snow still on the ground in places so I wasn't so big on trying to get out and ride just yet. I didn't know if it was the battery or not. They said it was ok, but it wasn't working. I thought maybe it was my alt. not charging it up. (through jump starting, popping the clutch) I finnally took it in and had the mechanic look at it, checking the battery when the bike was running, off, and at start. He said the battery was dead, so I got another and have been up and running sense.

I have learned that I did a noob thing and not set up my battery with a trickle charger over the winter, and that might have been the difference between needing a new battery and saving the old one.

-pd

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks biker_dude43. I will try that tonight. When you write "pull the main fuse" do you mean the fuse next to the starter relay or the main fuse located in the fuse box towards the rear of the bike. Thanks for you help again and I will let you know how it went.

The main fuse is under the tank sitting on top of the battery cover. One side is a spare and the other is the main fuse.

My line of thinking is you mentioned that the current draw disappeard when you pulled the starter relay "7". By removing the main fuse killing power to everything, current can only be drawn from the battery if the starter relay contact is closed providing current to the starter "8". If you see the 5 amp draw with the main fuse pulled, it's likely the starter relay contacts are fused together thus providing continuous power to the starter. A part of me thinks this can't be true as this would mess up you being able to properly start the bike, but you mentioned pulling relay earlier stopped the current drain.

Let's start there anyway and see what you find.

BayArea FZ6 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
biker_dude43,
Last night I did remove the main fuse and measured the current. There was no current being drawn so we can guess that the starter relay is working properly though still drawing current with the fuse installed. I also got a recommendation from my co-worker to test the battery by fully charging it and then removing both leads from the battery and testing again after a period of time. On Tuesday night the battery measured 12.9V after I had charged it with a tender. On Wed. night it measured 12.5V and last night it was also 12.5V. I am not sure what to make of this since I am not a mechanic. I guess now I might have to take it to a mechanic and pray that he doesn't overcharge me. I miss riding my bike to work and I just want it fixed. But thanks for your help biker_dude43 and everyone else who gave me great advice.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
If you pulled the connector to the starter relay and the current disappeared, the short should either be in the relay itself or downstream of the relay.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I'll take a guess on this topic...

I think it is quite possibly a defective regulator/rectifier module. You don't mention what year your FZ is, but the R/R is located under the rear mount for the fuel tank, LH side, on an 04-06 FZ6. If this has an internal short, and is drawing 5.4 amps (around 65 watts) it should be quite toasty even if the bike has been sitting a while. Anyway, disconnect the plug on the module and recheck your current draw. If that is the culprit, it's easy to change, and they are about $70 from Ronayers.com

There are other possibilities but try that first, they do fail. (I'm on #3!)

BayArea FZ6 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I think I round the problem but I need feedback to know for sure. Looking at page 8-17 (Electric Starting System) of the service manual I tested the Starter Relay. With the Key Switch ON there was continuity on the starter relay coupler. With the Key Switch OFF there STILL WAS CONTINUITY!!! My guess is this is draining my battery. But since I am relying on this manual and since I am not a mechanic, I need to know if this makes sense. I also tested the Starting circuit cut-off relay and there was continuity with the switch on and no continuity with the switch off. I will replace the starter relay if I know for sure that this is the problem. Thanks to all my fellow FZ6 riders who gave me great advice. If any of you are near San Francisco, let me know and lets go riding.