Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Bryan, the joy and self-satisfaction after completing a SaddleSore 1000 (IBA) cannot be described. I have completed two SS1000 rides and a Bun Burner Gold (BBG-1500 miles in less than 24 hours). Every one of these rides will stay with me for the rest of my life. I've learned some new things each time I've completed one of these, and would be glad to share with others who want to go for the 1000. I'm one of IBA's biggest cheerleaders! :cheer:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
One day.... maybe not on the FZ but we shall see. I have really been looking at the FJR 1300 and some of the BMW 12's I believe it is. That is once I have graduated college and have a well paying engineering job, lol. After all those have to come after my C6 Z06 and a new set of tires.... :)

-bryan

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan, the joy and self-satisfaction after completing a SaddleSore 1000 (IBA) cannot be described. I have completed two SS1000 rides and a Bun Burner Gold (BBG-1500 miles in less than 24 hours). Every one of these rides will stay with me for the rest of my life. I've learned some new things each time I've completed one of these, and would be glad to share with others who want to go for the 1000. I'm one of IBA's biggest cheerleaders! :cheer:

Surely the Saddlesore is 1000 miles within 24 hours and the Bun burner is 1500 miles within 36 hours or am I wromg?

Because 1500 miles in 24 hours seems a little dangerous and extreme.

steve

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Surely the Saddlesore is 1000 miles within 24 hours and the Bun burner is 1500 miles within 36 hours or am I wromg?

steve

thats only averaging 62.5 MPH
1500mi in 24hrs

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com

steve

Bryan has it right: IBA offers a Bun Burner, which is 1500 miles in 36 hours, and a Bun Burner Gold, which is 1500 miles in 24 hours. They will not certify a BBG, which is considered an extreme ride, until the rider has done a less intensive ride such as a SS1000 or BB 1500.

I completed the BBG by riding straight north out of Houston TX, through Oklahoma and into Kansas, which is smooth and fast-moving interstate highway the whole way. I never exceeded the speed limit by more than +5, and I had to execute two toll booths on the interstate in south Kansas. I did it on a BMW, which has a 250 mile range, so gas stops were infrequent. The biggest time killer for many people is the gas stops. These must be clockwork efficient. I carried snacks and water on the bike so I was able to eat and drink at each gas stop. Being in good physical condition (I run marathons and half marathons) really helps, as does being very comfortable and familiar with the bike, being able to stay in the saddle tank-to-tank, and being well-rested before starting out. I went to bed before 9:00 PM the night before my ride, woke up at 3:00 AM and was on the road by 3:15 AM. I was back home before 3:00 AM the next morning. When I finished, I was not tired or sleepy at all! I was totally "wired" from the excitement of completing the ride. :D

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems from what I have read about it. Most of the work comes in when getting it certified by the IBA. Turning in fuel receipts or getting an attendent to be able to vouch for you.

IBA members would yall mind sharing your tips on getting that done. To me it seems like alot of work to get that done and done right?

-bryan

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
It seems from what I have read about it. Most of the work comes in when getting it certified by the IBA. Turning in fuel receipts or getting an attendent to be able to vouch for you.

IBA members would yall mind sharing your tips on getting that done. To me it seems like alot of work to get that done and done right?

-bryan

Bryan, it's actually very simple. At the IBA website, there is a form and a gas log you can print out. And the process is this:
1. Fill out the Witness Form with your info, starting odometer reading, and have a witness (two if doing an extreme ride) sign it, verifying the odometer reading. Witness can be a spouse, friend, or neighbor. Witnessing can be done immediately prior to starting the ride, or the night before, if departure time is o'dark thirty.
2. Start the ride by filling the gas tank and saving the receipt, which should show date, time, location (city, state) of the gas station, along with number of gallons pumped. Time stamp on the receipt is the starting time for the ride. Write the odometer reading on the receipt, and number them sequentially to keep them organized.
3. Obtain a correct receipt (as described in #2) each time you stop for gas. Also be sure to get a gas receipt any time your route takes a turn, to "prove the corner." for example, I rode up I-35 to Salina, KS, then went west for 65 miles on I-70. I stopped for gas to get a receipt at that interchange, and then stopped there again on the return leg.
4. At the finish of the ride, obtain the final gas receipt. The date/time stamp on this receipt indicates your completion time.
5. Obtain your ending witness signature on the witness form. This can be done immediately or, if you arrive home at an inconvenient time, get the signature at your earliest convenience.
6. Organize your gas receipts and, using the info on these receipts (odometer reading that you wrote onto them, date, time, location) complete the gas log.
7. Take a map or print out a S&T map showing your route, and highlight or circle the towns where you stopped to get gas. this makes it easier for the validators to confirm your ride.
8. Make photocopies of receipts, log, witness form, map, and mail them along with payment to the IBA.

The hardest thing will be remembering to get the gas receipt, if you're not in the habit of doing so when you pump gas.

So when are you going to do your first SS1000? :D :cheer:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

As for completing the SS1000, I dont know. I imagine the best time would be in the fall, if I ever do it, when this southern heat isnt such an issue. I would enjoy doing it, it something that my father and I have talked about from time to time.

We looked into doing it this past spring but decided against it.

I believe I will be getting some work done to the seat however before I do it. 400 miles or so is about all I have done in a day and my butt is toast after that.

We shall see though.

-bryan

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I hadn't ridden more than a few hundred miles in one day before I did my SS1000. I found that the last 700 was no worse than the first few hundred (in terms of comfort), so if you can do 300-400 miles you should be able to do 1000. Staying alert becomes a problem after a while though.

I COMPLETELY agree about gas stops being the time sink. I spent at least 20 minutes at each one and much more a couple of times. Times passes quick - especially when you're not thrilled at the prospect of jumping on and riding another 200 miles non-stop. I also lost some time eating and with two rest stops (not an option - continuing when tired could be fatal and a 15 minute break worked wonders for me). I had bad shakes at the turn-around point that took about 20 minutes for those to go away. I spend another 30 minutes or so lubing the chain and checking over the bike.

After the SS1000, I'm confident I could do a BB1500 (36 hours), but the BB Gold (1500 miles in 24h) would be VERY, VERY tough on an FZ6 (projecting from the time it took me to go 1066 miles, I would have to cut out one of my major stops to make it). Apparently, someone has done a Border-to-border on an FZ6. That's Canada to Mexico in 36 hours (they also have a Border-to-border INSANITY which is the same thing in 24 hours).

If I had the time, I'd like to try the 48-10 (all lower 48 states in 10 days with proof you've done it) and maybe the National Parks tour (visit 50 National Parks/Historic sites in at least 25 states in one year).

I'm currently deciding between trying a BunBurner 1500 or entering a smaller rally. I'd love to show those big BMWs and FJRs that an FZ6 can run with them!

Bodarc

Reaction score
Visit site
Plainly speaking, where can a person go to find the rules regarding the Iron Butt awards and so fourth. I'm interested, and have a friend who has made and is currently on a 1200 mile a day run. He left OKC, OK last monday and was in DC by tuesday night. That is an iron butt if you ask me.

Bodarc

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm. and here I was wondering what my "big trip" was going to be after graduating from paramedic school...

It's either go to Cozumel for a long week or just go for a "run-Forrest-run!" type ride.
Doing it in February might prove meddlesomeeven if I head down to FL and shoot across the lowest states, but I guess a ride to the West coast along the Mexican border wouldn't be all that bad.

I don't know about doing 1,000 mi in 24 hrs though, but why the hell not? If I'm going that way, why not make a long sprint of it?
Can it be a one way deal or does it have to be a round trip, 1,000 mi route?
I'd sure like one of those little IBA tags...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would imagine the best time to do the ride would be in early summer when you have more daylight hours to ride in. Over here in Denmark we could set off at 4am and ride in daylight until about 11pm.

The iron butts website has a log you can download. It seems very simple and straightforward.

Steve

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

steve
I hate starting posts like this but: When I was a courier I regularly did 700 - 800 miles in a day. That was bloody hard work and on a far more comfy seat then the FZ6.
You are right though. people often underestimate how tiring riding can be.

Nelly

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Can it be a one way deal or does it have to be a round trip, 1,000 mi route?
I'd sure like one of those little IBA tags...

One way is actually preferred I think. You do need a witness on each end though and receipts that show you took the route you claim you did (details are on the link bmccrary provided).

jsl6v8

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm looking at doing a long ride, about 1130 miles, from Orlando to Columbia,MO. A ride I've done numberous times in a car, so I have some inkling of the strain it puts on the body. I'm debating with myself if the frequent stops to fill up wouldn't make things easier on the old arse, than making the trip with only 1 stop like I was doing in my car. I'm a bit more worried about my back and wrists than my buns. I've recently installed a vista cruise control so that should help with the wrists, although I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of not having my hand on the throttle, at least I can loosing the grip and get blood moving to the hand better. This will be by far the longest journey I've made on my bike, and will pretty near double the miles I have on the bike, just broke 1700, if I decide to go through with it. I was originally planning on making it a 2 day event, stopping in atlanta then heading up to missouri, a bit out of the way but would split up the ride a little, but I figure it would probably my best chance to earn me an IB. Also maybe its just the late hours but their site was down. Any tips, thoughts, suggestions, questions, the more the better.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm looking at doing a long ride, about 1130 miles, from Orlando to Columbia,MO. A ride I've done numberous times in a car, so I have some inkling of the strain it puts on the body. I'm debating with myself if the frequent stops to fill up wouldn't make things easier on the old arse, than making the trip with only 1 stop like I was doing in my car. I'm a bit more worried about my back and wrists than my buns. I've recently installed a vista cruise control so that should help with the wrists, although I don't feel entirely comfortable about the idea of not having my hand on the throttle, at least I can loosing the grip and get blood moving to the hand better. This will be by far the longest journey I've made on my bike, and will pretty near double the miles I have on the bike, just broke 1700, if I decide to go through with it. I was originally planning on making it a 2 day event, stopping in atlanta then heading up to missouri, a bit out of the way but would split up the ride a little, but I figure it would probably my best chance to earn me an IB. Also maybe its just the late hours but their site was down. Any tips, thoughts, suggestions, questions, the more the better.

AWESOME! Sounds like a great ride. Paste in a link via mapquest or other website so we can check it out.....

You'll certainly appreciate the stops every 180-200 miles (YMMV). My legs fell asleep a few times, so be careful getting off the bike!

I had under 1200 miles on the FZ6 when I did mine. As long as it's broken in, I'd say you're fine. You'll know exactly what works and what doesn't by the time you finish!

I also tried a Vista Cruise, but I only used it a few times on the first 600 miles or so (and then only for a minute or so each time). I just couldn't get used to it and I've since taken it off. I LOVED having a throttle rocker though. Best $10 I've EVER spent. I never would have made it without that thing.

Knowing the route gives you the advantage of not getting lost and being able to judge your time. The downside is that it seems to be easier to stay alert if you're in new territory.