What to see and what to avoid

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys so we all know they are many fun things to see and do when out on the road. Most of which are found when your not looking for anything imparticular. However I wanted to start a thread where we could share what is worth stoping to look at what is best to avoid, after all there are places that still think we are big bad bikers.

Be sure to post that name of the attraction or town as well as where it is located. Give as many details as you wish.

If you have a good bit to say about a couple places or many pictures which make a post long, be sure to make a single post per location. That way it makes it easier for people to read.
(ex. my Helen Georgia write up, single post)

Like I metioned earlier there are places out there where we are not welcomed so please be sure to let us know where they are and how to avoid it.

To make this easier for folks to find stuff about an area. I am going to sort these posts by state as they are posted. This may take a while...

California
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post117373

Florida
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post109308

Georgia
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post110452

Nevada
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post117278

New Hampshire
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post110439

North Carolina

Oklahoma

Tennessee
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid-2.html#post118058

Utah
http://www.600riders.com/forum/touring/7594-what-see-what-avoid.html#post110432

Last edited:

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
Jacksonville, Fl
If you happen to be in Jacksonville FL and decide you would like to spend the night on the beach, don't do it at neptune beach. I was arrested for camping on the beach, though I didn't see any signs prohibiting it. The cop eventually let me go, but he was a real dick about it. On the other hand, if you need a new front tire on a monday, Henderson Powersports is your best and probably only option.

Robbinsville, NC
Obviously the entire area surrounding Deals Gap is very motorcycle friendly, they'd have to be crazy not to be. I stayed the night at the Philips motel in Robinsville. It was a decent enough place for what I paid, but there was no internet available.

Tulsa, OK
If you're in Tulsa OK, and need a rear tire late Saturday afternoon, swing by Kinetic Playground. The nice folks there got me set up even though they were already closed and even offered me a backyard to camp in. I decided to continue on to Kansas, but they were really cool and I wish I had stayed.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting!

I am trying to get my Dad to post up some of the things he and my mom have done.

People please chime in here. With the season coming to and end, please share your Pro and Cons of various areas and routes.

I am already planning for next season, I am sure some of you guys are as well.

-bryan

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Alpine Loop, UT
This road goes up around Timpanogos Mountain. The road is amazing, lots of twisties and amazing views. Not very well known so traffic as almost non-existent.
The only bad thing about it is that it gets pretty narrow and there are cagers and road bikers everywhere.

Bear Lake, UT
Great ride to get there. When you do get there make sure to stop at the "Hometown" burger joint. It's a little mom and pop spot and has great burgers and fries. Also the best raspberry shares ever. You'll know which one, there's always a line.
When you're done, cruise around the lake or keep riding through the back roads 'till you get to the Uinta Forest. It's a long twisty ride.
You can also loop into Monte Cristo Pass, then into Ogden or keep riding to Powder or Snowbasin Resorts.

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mount Washington Auto Road, NH.
Best if done on a bike because doing this in a car is scary as hell! Bikes just work better. Later half of July and most of August is the best time to do this run. On the Northeast Meet, we just happened to be the luckiest group EVAH! We hit the top and had 70 degrees with 3 - 5 mph winds! That's a once-in-10-years day there.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Helen, GA
I recently went there with my family over the 4th of July.

-By day it is a little town that looks like it came straight from the alps of Braveria. It is also known as Alpine Helen. There are many shops and there is shallow river through the middle where you can rent a tube and raft down it. We didnt do the rafting so I am not sure how much it costs.

-By night is a hoping little town. Many resturants with lots of music, most of which are on the rivers edge. However get their early, most of them close by 9 pm. Only the mexican resturant stays open late.

-Lodging. There is a nice Hampton Inn on the edge of town that is up on stilts. They are very nice there and parking is under the hotel. They say that you can park anywhere underneath which include a nice large raised center section. Bike easily fit up on there with plenty of room for walking around. Its a great place to stop for the night and spend the morning walking around.

IMG_3385.jpg

IMG_3386.jpg

IMG_3387.jpg

IMG_3403.jpg

Last edited:

kemmer

Reaction score
Visit site
Alpine Loop, UT
This road goes up around Timpanogos Mountain. The road is amazing, lots of twisties and amazing views. Not very well known so traffic as almost non-existent.
The only bad thing about it is that it gets pretty narrow and there are cagers and road bikers everywhere.

This ride is amazing, you can't go wrong on this one. Riding the tail of the dragon reminded me a lot of the alpine loop except that the dragon is wider and smoother.

Last edited:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Red Rock Canyon just west of Las Vegas, NV.
Nice ride thru the Red Rock Area outside of L.V. It's only around 6 miles long or so, but very pretty & in peak riding times there are many, many motorcycles up-n-down this stretch of road. I actually had to drive ~55 miles one-way just to do this short ride so I went thru it, turned around, took a couple of pics & went back thru it again stopping at the view/rest area, had a power bar & bottle of water I brought & continued on home again. Talked to another biker who stopped in for a short rest as well. To get there you also have to go thru Spring Mtn. Pass who's summit is 5600'. It's kinda mildly twisty & a fun ride as well.
Oh, yeah almost forgot; in the winter there's some snow on the cliff peaks & a few spots around, but sometimes the clouds are low hanging & hang around the edges of the cliffs/peaks. That is a very nice picture then, but I'm a fair weather rider, so I see it from the car then!

S

sportrider

Palomar Mt. Observatory, Ca

Not only are the roads amazing to the observatory, the observatory itself is something really cool to see, be sure to stop and check out the gift shop/museum at the entrance to the observatory. if you've ever been interested in space it's worth the trip up there, and even if you have no interest in space the roads make the trip worth while.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the posts guys! Keep them coming. I know there are some riders out there that have seen alot. SueMac, Fred, agmom98....there are many of you that have lots of miles logged. Where are you going?

I will be putting some more up there this weekend.

-bryan

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Shady Valley, Tn

Northern Tennessee area there is Hwy 421. Hwy 421 is a great MC road that runs through a couple Mtns. In the heart of these mtns is Shady Valley. It is also the hangout. Check out the website:

Shady Valley Country Store

They have a grill in there with coolers full of drinks. Along with the the food they have plenty of shirts and other clothes as well as oil and other parts.

Watch out though, the troopers are every where in Shady. Also there are some houses and neighborhoods in Shady so as you are coming in, please take it easy and keep the noise down.

05-04-2008_-_Day_Trip_-_Shady_Va-3.jpg

05-04-2008_-_Day_Trip_-_Shady_Valle.jpg

05-04-2008_-_Day_Trip_-_Shady_Va-1.jpg

05-04-2008_-_Day_Trip_-_Shady_Va-2.jpg

2008_07_27th_-_Shady_Valley_Bristol.jpg

Last edited:

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site