• Same - mpg did not change, I like...

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As crazybiker mentioned in another thread....

All you guys with PCIII and/or dynotune, please report back the mpg.

Are you seeing better, worse, or the same mpg's. I suspect that the ones that got dyno'd and custom mapped are getting better mpg results?

Let's hear your results please. :thumbup:

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
mine's not dynotuned yet ,,i didnt notice any significant changes on my mpg..
i will report back after the custom map

bossdoc83

Loud pipes save lives!
Reaction score
Visit site
I put lower MPG cause yes I ride it like I stole it!:D If I do normal riding and crusing my MPG is roughly 3-5 lower from what I have noticed. I don't mind considering I usually have an average of 50 MPG's so I'm still doing well.:thumbup:

And yes my bike has been dyno'd and tuned and it's a hair on the lean side

gt89stang393

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, last tank full I averaged 39mpg with the way too rich Leo Vince program, I have the Euro one in now, I will find out if it gets better, and I like acceleration, so I burn lots of gas.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll know for sure tomorrow night. Heading out the door tonight to College Station. This will be the first big highway run, post tune for me. Around town is still 43 to 45ish.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm well, I seem to get 47 MPG with or without it in normal everyday commuting. However, I am running the "stock bike" program and I can tell its waayyy too rich at idle at least. I can smell it at every stop light I come to and there are quite a few of them on my commute home. I ended up disconnecting it for now because the last thing I want on the way home in 100 weather when riding surface streets is to feel like I am getting coated in unburnt fuel.

Is there a slightly leaner map that I can use with a totally stock bike? Not leaner than the actual OEM bike but one for the PCIII that is leaner than the one they say is "stock"?

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...Is there a slightly leaner map that I can use with a totally stock bike? Not leaner than the actual OEM bike but one for the PCIII that is leaner than the one they say is "stock"?

OEM is a little bit rich, so you'll have to get one that's leaner than OEM. At least from what I've read on this site. Oh and the "stock" map shouldn't be changing anything so it should be "OEM". Do you have your cat removed?

Shaggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope its completely stock other than the PCIII. Is there a way to tell which exact map I have in it? I bought it brand new from More Power Racing, they even called me to make sure that I had a stock bike and said he would put the stock tune in. I have never actually hooked my laptop to it so I know I have never made any changes.

I was also under the impression that OEM stock map was a little lean to help emissions and that the stock map for the PCIII richened the mix only a little.

I have the Race Ready one and not the EX one for the street since I do not live in CA.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nope its completely stock other than the PCIII. Is there a way to tell which exact map I have in it? I bought it brand new from More Power Racing, they even called me to make sure that I had a stock bike and said he would put the stock tune in. I have never actually hooked my laptop to it so I know I have never made any changes.

I was also under the impression that OEM stock map was a little lean to help emissions and that the stock map for the PCIII richened the mix only a little.

I have the Race Ready one and not the EX one for the street since I do not live in CA.

No, as to my understanding according to the threads on here with people getting their bikes dyno tuned, stock is rich, even with aftermarket pipes. From the threads I've read about custom tuning, all of them have leaner settings for the most part compared to the stock map.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm ok. Well then.... can someone who has more experience with the FZ6 map than I do recommend another map to use that would lean it out a little? At least compared back to the stock map at idle? What I really hate is the fact that I can smell that its way too rich when sitting at a light. Once I am riding I dont care, but when its 90 some degrees out, the last thing you want is to come home smelling like you work in a refinery. Or worse, showing up at work in business casual attire and have to go around the office all day like that.

I like what it does for throttle response and all the other drivability improvements and would hate to not use it because of it being a little rich at idle.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i just had a PCIII installed on a near stock bike, but had it custom mapped.

The Guy doing the tune loaded the stock map before starting the custom tune, and it actually produced a lower HP reading than stock!!!!

As for MPG, i have just filled my bike after it's first tank of juice since the install & custom map, and even though my bike is running leaner, my fuel consumption was 17km's a litre. Have had better with stock bike and no PCIII, but this first tank might not be a good indicator, as i have done quite a bit of Sport riding, 2 up riding, and have been revelling in my new found "grunt" as well.

If anyone has not seen my thread on my PCIII installation, with Maps, etc, you can find it here in the Australia area of this forum.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/australia/7478-pciii-power-commander-installed-dynotuned.html

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did back to back 80 mile bonzi runs this weekend. I covered the 80 miles in about 70 minutes, and that included getting out of town. I was going 75 to 85 mph most of the way with a few runs up to 110 mph. I pulled in last night a I still had two bars left on the fuel guage. So I should get about 50 or so out of this tank, better than my typical 42 to 45.

I still can't get over how much more power the bike has at high speed, at 85 mph, nail it and roll up to 110 mph, the hole time the power just keeps building and building.

Also the R6 fork with the Ohlins shock is AMAZING! The whole suspension totally comes together once I was over 75mph, smooooooth and controlled.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did back to back 80 mile bonzi runs this weekend. I covered the 80 miles in about 70 minutes, and that included getting out of town. I was going 75 to 85 mph most of the way with a few runs up to 110 mph. I pulled in last night a I still had two bars left on the fuel guage. So I should get about 50 or so out of this tank, better than my typical 42 to 45.

I still can't get over how much more power the bike has at high speed, at 85 mph, nail it and roll up to 110 mph, the hole time the power just keeps building and building.

Also the R6 fork with the Ohlins shock is AMAZING! The whole suspension totally comes together once I was over 75mph, smooooooth and controlled.

He...He...this mod is a Sportsriders dream! It's like a whole new bike, am in total agreeance re the power thing, i have shocked the crap out of at least a couple people already...guy on an r6 pulled up next to me the other day, road was empty, we both gunned it, fz6 kept up until i decided to bail out at 125km/h. Next time we pulled up, the guy on the R6 says, nice bike, didnt think they went that well!

Am guessing my MPG will be better tested when i ride a whole tank without my son on the bike for the majority of the time...45kg's extra weight definitely has a big effect!

:rockon:

Hellgate,As for your comments re the Ohlins shock, can you PM me which one you have, cost, etc. Same for Forks? If that's not too much trouble. Just dont want to take this thread too far off topic

mountainracer

Reaction score
Visit site
:rockon:I own a 2007 fz6 with a pcIII and scorpion race use only slipon exhaust. with the zero map I get about 45 to 50 mpg. with the stock air filter and exhaust map, around 42 mpg. and with the aftermarket air filter with scorpion exhaust map, 35 to 40 mpg. these are all maps you can get at powercommander.com. I havent tried any euro maps yet, but between the "slow" and "fast" maps for america, I can expect around a 10 mpg difference. 9,500 miles on the clock since may, can anyone beat that? what can I say, I love to ride!

mountainracer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm well, I seem to get 47 MPG with or without it in normal everyday commuting. However, I am running the "stock bike" program and I can tell its waayyy too rich at idle at least. I can smell it at every stop light I come to and there are quite a few of them on my commute home. I ended up disconnecting it for now because the last thing I want on the way home in 100 weather when riding surface streets is to feel like I am getting coated in unburnt fuel.

Is there a slightly leaner map that I can use with a totally stock bike? Not leaner than the actual OEM bike but one for the PCIII that is leaner than the one they say is "stock"?

this is for SHAGGY.if you have a pcIII you can lean out the low end of the rpm range just by using the "low" button on the top of the unit. on the unit there are three buttons high, med, and low, these change fuel ratio to the corosponding rpm range, just a little, without a computer.(it comes with directions on how to use this function, If you don't know how I can help you)just lean out the low end one or two settings, then adjust idle back to 1300 rpm (using idle adjustment screw under right side of the gas tank). this will make the engine run leaner in the lower rpm's, and you won't smell unburnt gas at a stoplight as much. I had the same problem but now I'm usng the american map (M410-002) for aftermarket air filter and scorpion slippon exhaust, and I have the "low" at -2 on the unit. "mid" and "high" I left stock. this also increases mpg's as long as you stay in the lower rpm range. :rockon:

Shaggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Back from the dead!!! LOL I finally got around to hooking it back up and after I figured out how to get into programming mode I took the low end down two notches. I also noticed that the idle RPMs dropped to about 1000 so I adjusted the crew to get it as stable as I could around 1300, which ended up being 1320-1380..... also made sure that I waited until it fully warmed up before making the idle adjustments.

Now I just have to see how it performs when I go into work in a few hours.

Oh how I have missed the better throttle response by not having the PCIII hooked up at all.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have a Zero Map loaded on the PClll you should be using the stock program from the factory. In other words, there should be nothing added or taken away. Of course there can be variables even with a Zero Map because of the incremental changes that the PClll might output that will not be like the stock computer alone inline. I read in a magazine article that a GSXR 1000 ran much better throttle response after installing a PClll and it had the Zero Map.

I have 2 Bro. slip on exhaust and got a PClll. I used to get 44 mpg. experimented with the wrong map and was getting 37 mpg. Then modified the air box installed a K&N and got it dyno'd. Now that I have a proper MAP with happier air to fuel ratio I get 47 mpg. The bike performs much better in every aspect. Better low end torque. more HP. The entire power band has dramatically improved.

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
If you have a Zero Map loaded on the PClll you should be using the stock program from the factory. In other words, there should be nothing added or taken away. Of coarse there can be variables even with a Zero Map because of the incremental changes that the PClll might output that will not be like the stock computer alone inline. I read in a magazine article that a GSXR 1000 ran much better throttle response after installing a PClll and it had the Zero Map.

I have 2 Bro. slip on exhaust and got a PClll. I used to get 44 mpg. experimented with the wrong map and was getting 37 mpg. Then modified the air box installed a K&N and got it dyno'd. Now that I have a proper MAP with happier air to fuel ratio I get 47 mpg. The bike performs much better in every aspect. Better low end torque. more HP. The entire power band has dramatically improved.

According to the info at:
http://www.hyperformanceparts.com/c...II-USB-2004-2008-Yamaha-FZ6/product_info.html

If you run the base map (I don't know if this is the same thing as Zero or not) you should see the following:

Tuning with Power Commander
Base Map - The Power Commander is supplied with a given (base) map stored in the microprocessor. This (base map) is typically a map that has been developed to provide an improvement for most combinations matching the map description (i.e. stock bike or performance exhaust and air filter).

In general we have found that a typical stock bike has areas in the fuel curve that are far from optimal for drive-ability and performance. We could say that they are typically 70% optimized in stock condition and 60% - 65% with minor performance modifications. After installation of the Power Commander with the base map, we would expect to see 85% - 95% optimization. Power Commander Alternate Maps - Each Power Commander is supplied with a number of alternate maps on a CD-ROM and all the maps are available for download on our web site.