chain wax and cleaning question

Woe257

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds dumb, but I have little experience with chain driven bikes. After reading various posts here, it "seems" like dupont teflon wax or something like it may be a good product to use ?...but....how best to apply, exactely where on the chain and how often ? :don'tknow:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
normally have the chain warm and make sure the chain has a good coating right through it, and how often is personal preferance, i do it way too much but better safe than sorry. It also depends on weather, and conditions, wet or sandy bad for chain, more cleaning needed. One thing with teflon sprays (i use one) they have a tendancy to ball up in the front sproket cover, which gathers dirt.

DaFiz

Reaction score
Visit site
At the end of the week Friday evening with the chain still warm from the ride home I mount the bike on it's main stand and spray the lube directly onto the rollers mainly and just a bit on the side and leave to soak in as the chain cools. Before Sunday morning's breakfast run I wash the old splatter off the rear rims and off we go. I don't believe in reducing the specifactions on the chain (525 nor 520 as for racing bikes) I have a heavy duty 530 and I'll bet I can get 40000 kilometres from it.:rockon: