oil drain bolt

Redhawk

2QuickFZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Im attempting to do the first 600 mile oil change and well, I cant even get the drain plug off. I do know it is 17mm and to turn counter clockwise, left loosey. but it will not budge. I have read on the forums that most likely Yamaha way over torqued the bolts on most everyones Fz6. Does anyone have any advice that can give me on how to break it loose.
Thanks

S

sportrider

use a ratchet with a long handle or cheater bar, that will do the trick!!!:thumbup:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I ran into this same problem on my first oil change as well. I was really worried about the amount of torque it took to pop that thing. Sportrider is right, increase your leverage. I just stuck a scrap piece of pipe about 3 feet long on the end of my wrench. Even then it still took a lot of force before it finally broke loose, so be careful not to hurt yourself or your bike.

W

wrightme43

put bike on center stand. Take a ratcheting tie strap and pull just a little tension from the front wheel to the cross bar of the centerstand.

Put a 6 point that is SIX side socket 17mm on a 3/8ths or 1/2" ratchet. Get a section of 1" pvc pipe, and use that to increase leverage. Always push with your palms and not by wraping your hands around things.

Another way.
Same tiestrap.
1/2" ratchet, 6 point 17mm and a ball peen hammer. Tap the ratchet handle in the proper direction

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before going to too extreme measures. I think I'd let the bike cool down and try it cold first. Depending on the metal compositions of both the case and the bolt, the bolt may be tighter, or looser, when the engine is warm. If you can break it loose cold, do just that, break it loose, snug it back up just a little bit, and then run the bike to warm the oil back up before removing it all the way.

Hound

Reaction score
Visit site
It took a lot to get it off. It was way over tightened. I spent the next 3 days paranoid it would pop off while I rode because I tightened it correctly .

Redhawk

2QuickFZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I finally got the drain plug busted loose. Thanks to everyone who replied with tips/suggestions. I ended up finding a small pipe and fitting it on the end of the ratchet! Thought about actually buying a 3/8 breaker bar but the pipe and ratchet did the job. As for the oil filter it wasnt bad at all. I ended up using a Mobil 1 Extended performance M-108 filter with 3 quarts of Amsoil 10w-40 Synthetic Motorcycle oil. The bike definitely runs a bit quieter and much smoother. The 550 miles I had on the Yamalube factory oil was dirty and I could see small metal flakes. I have read in other forums that the drain plug is supposed to have a crush washer but mine didnt. Even the manual says to inspect the washer. Some people have said theres didnt even come with a washer like mine.
Next I think I will top off my radiator with a couple ounces of Redline's Water Wetter to help keep the temps down a couple degrees.

:Sport: Everyone ride safe and have fun!!!!!!!:rockon:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Changed my oil this weekend too. The oil drain plug should most definitely have a crush washer. The drain plug is steel & the crankcase is alloy, as such the plug should not be excessively tight, 43 Nm (31 ftlb). The 'engine oil drain bolt gasket' should be replaced with every usage.

I had trouble with the oil filter. This should be little more than hand tight. I had a bugger of a game removing it. In the end I had to use a hammer & punch on the rolled flange to 'inch' it around a little, until my strap wrench would grip it. This was just 2000 miles after the first oil change done by the Yamaha Approved Dealership! :rtfm:

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I had trouble with the oil filter. This should be little more than hand tight. I had a bugger of a game removing it. In the end I had to use a hammer & punch on the rolled flange to 'inch' it around a little, until my strap wrench would grip it. This was just 2000 miles after the first oil change done by the Yamaha Approved Dealership! :rtfm:

Pick up a filter cartridge socket - it makes changing the filter so easy :thumbup:

Last edited:

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
i never had a problem removing the bolt.... it was about as tight as i figured it would have been

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
/grumble

I used a longer rachet, then used the multipurpose tool to do the job. Its called a rubber mallet. Just a few good taps and the drain bolt broke loose. I ended up needing to use a large pair of channel locks to remove the oil filter, when I removed it, the filter was damage and squashed.

Ferris

Reaction score
Visit site
I had to use a breaker bar for the drain plug now it's torqued to spec. The Filter needed to meet my friends Big A$$ Screwdriver , hammer, channel locks to convince it's not a permant fixture on the engine. The dealer didn't have any wrenches :(.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the 600 mile oil change myself. I had read that the oil plug would be tight, so I approached it with a rubber mallet and a socket wrench. It took about 3 seconds to get it loose. The oil filter came right off with correct wrench. I picked it up at pep boys for a couple dollars.

If anyone has any questions just pm me and I'll send you exactly what I did to get it off so easy.