RIDER WARNING!!! Think JUST leather boots are sufficient?

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
For the LOVE of all that is holy spend the cash on Armored Riding Boots. Expensive ones with not just kevlar and hardened leather, but with armored plating and stiffeners. I had on Kevlar/ Leather boots.... There is a ankle with pins in it... and several crushed instep bones.. along with the obvious. Make the investment. I'm lucky I get to keep my left foot. For you freaks all the pics of blood all inside my bike in my thread about frame repair [And Especially if you have COMMENTS about frame welding] ----> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/7500-frame-itself.html

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is OUCH! Specifically what boots were you wearing?

Get well soon.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Mil-Spec Hardend Leather and kevlar boots, shin high. Wasnt enough, but thankfully i would never dream of riding in sneakers

Wow. I wish you a minimum of pain and speedy recovery! :)
Do you think a pair of boots such as Sidi Vertigo's would have made a difference?

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
WOW....:(
I truly hope your recory is quick and somewhat painless. People now a days do now know of how important motorcycle gear is. I get really pissed of on those aholes on GXR's with shorts, teashirt and half helments. Just misrepresenting the sport. Always, ALWAYS... wear full protective gear from your head to you toe. I have icon field armor boots, arai vector web blue helmet, fieldsheer titanium III pants Alpinestars SMK Jacket BLUE and Alpinestars 3/4 Gloves BLUE. I do not ride anywhere with out my full gear.
Again wish you a quick recovery and I hope you ride again once you are better to do it.
Take care fellow riders.
:Sport:

VA FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Jesus man! Im glad you are ok. I have been putting off getting good boots (i ride in my Dr. Martins) but after seeing that pick, i will be picking up some this weekend. Get well!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That totally sucks and unfortunately, you'll have little recourse with litigation.

Glad you'll eventually be OK!

Rekon

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I wish you a minimum of pain and speedy recovery! :)
Do you think a pair of boots such as Sidi Vertigo's would have made a difference?

A pair of them may have saved from the laceration, or at least lessened it... maby even cut down on the number of broken bones in my foot. I would like to think my injuries would have been less severe

Do keep in mind, my foot took an impact so hard that it tore the rear frame bar right off of the main frame... took a chunk of the frame block with it.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
A pair of them may have saved from the laceration, or at least lessened it... maby even cut down on the number of broken bones in my foot. I would like to think my injuries would have been less severe

Do keep in mind, my foot took an impact so hard that it tore the rear frame bar right off of the main frame... took a chunk of the frame block with it.

Thanks...my question (as I'm sure you know) was a bit rhetorical in nature. I ride with Sidi Vertigo boots, but I'm not persuaded that they would have made a great deal of difference had you been wearing them. As you say, perhaps some lessening of the lacerating and perhaps saved some bones, but that would have been it.
I'm buying a pair of deep sea diving boots. :D
Get well soon!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No good dude, at least it was your foot and not your neck, the risk we all take every time we get on. Heal quick, and heal straight.

troutfishinemt

Reaction score
Visit site
I missed where someone said which boots would have prevented this.

I'm a firm believer in ATGATT, but all my gear ain't exactly top notch - I think my Gmax helmet is about the best thing going, for the money (even for a lot more money), and my jacket doesn't match my bike, but I always wear it, and my gloves are okay - but I wear over-the-ankle Navy issue boots.

If the impact ripped parts of the frame off, do you really think there's a boot out there that would have helped more?

I'm currently working as an RN and see things like your foot all the time from MCC's - it all (head, spine, arms, legs) comes down to the impact and the angle... I DO get tired of digging gravel out of screaming guys who've lowsided while wearing shorts and a wife-beater.

I wish you a speedy recovery, man...

TF

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks. It makes me think too. I've got a pair of gaerne grs boots but normally just wear heavy bates combat boots. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

fazerboy

Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks. It makes me think too. I've got a pair of gaerne grs boots but normally just wear heavy bates combat boots. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

just jumping on using urs m8 . Its about the guy who is on about the boots :rockon:
dont scream at me, i used 2 ride in t greek islands a lot on hols, never did wear any thing butshorts and trainers sum times a t shirt (this is wear u all swear at me and say "what a f... Tw.." yer i no thought i was cool oh yes no helmet, this is not a boast!! just did it .. never got injured or cum of prob had god or sum 1 whatching over us , yes us ,the misses was on the bk wearing no protection.I got lucky.
my point being is that I ride here in the uk and wear full gear all the time, i feel the safiest in full leathers 1 become 2 with the bike!!
t rest is kevlar gear based. now i look and point out at others that ride with out propper gear .

So like they say wear the gear and u have done all u can the rest well we live 4 the thrill so even ur chances out a little if u cum off. ps do ur research if u wanna get the best gear , not always with a price tag .
so rev up and hit the coast:rockon:
PS dude get well soon and get riding again m8

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 50/50 so so regarding gear (full face, leather or mesh jacket, gloves). I haven't ridden in shorts on the FZ6. Sometimes I wear boots (but nothing armored) and I have ridden in Kavlar jeans. But, before you berate me, let me tell you about the ones I see around here; Motorcycle officers: half helmets and dressed in regular looking uniforms (some short sleeves). And, sportbike riders with NO SHIRT, and shorts. A lot of HD riders have only a leather vest. Very common to see sportbike, roadbike, Vespa riders in regular street clothes (t-shirt, no gloves, etc.).