Trailer tow or make the 4 hour ride?

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I bought my bike down here in new jersey where i originally live with my parents due to various reasons. (Close relationship/connection with local powersports dealership, spending the rest of my summer down here, and being able to get in a few rides with my father and friends and their own bikes down around here). However, I plan to be bringing my bike up with me to Rhode Island for when I head back up for school. I have the enclosed trailer I used for transporting my atv which I believe could be useful for this trip. I would just have to mount better hooks in order to tie it down really well. How do any of you, whom have trailer towed their bike, tied down the bike in the trailer? I want to absolutely make sure I get it tied down as best as possible due to the fact that it's a 4 hour trip up I-95 with many potential risks of the bike falling over in the trailer. (sudden stops, turns, bumps, etc...)

Here is a picture of the trailer:
013.jpg

The green circles are where i'll be mounting some heavy duty hooks. Those green lines represent the steel support bars of the frame of which I will be fabricating the hooks on to for a secure hold. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
If you'd said 14 hour trip I might say "trail it". But 4 hour? Unless there are serious problems with you or the bike I gotta say - Ride.

Edited: After a second look at your circumstances I'd say flip a coin. Unless you're an experienced rider on a new bike you're not going to have fun riding it over that route. If doing that traffic hell-hole on a bike worries you in the least then I'd take the trailer. Live to ride another day. :Sport:

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say ride it, but how much stuff will you be carrying otherwise? And, do you have a cage for school (winter) there?

If you do trailer, the hooks you have are fine. Get one of these to attach to the trailer floor: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Then one of these to tie down without worrying about the fairing or cable damage... Canyon Dancer Tie Down

Good to go! Pad around the bike and pack the rest of your stuff in the trailer and drive off. :D

MarineMom

Reaction score
Visit site
I've towed quite a bit, we usually had 2 bikes to secure so 1 is relatively easy. I've only tied down to floor, if you want quick and cheap you can use eyebolts, 3 per side, just watch when bike not in, trip hazard. My preference is Baxley LA chock. BAXLEY TRAILER COMPANY chock With it you only need 2 ties pulling bike forward to keep it secure in chock. I was able to load my FZ by myself into my trailer, not bad for an old lady! lol... My hubby and I travelled from FL to MO and had some of the worst roads I've ever been on (broke latches in our camper) and only had to tighten one strap on the Goldwing once during entire trip. Either way works fine just check on it whenever you stop so you can adjust straps. If using tie downs only compress shocks to prevent the bounce and slide.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with FZ6inNH on this one - if you have to trailer get a wheel chock and then use the existing tie-downs locations with good straps and you shouldn't have to worry.

Like the others said though - if you don't HAVE to trailer it, ride it.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. so its pretty obvious to ride it through then huh. It's not really carrying other stuff that would be the issue really. All my stuff is at my home in rhode island and i only have one luggage bag of clothes down here with me and also my car. I was going to trailer the bike with my dad's pick-up, drop the bike off at my home, then come back down with the pick-up in order to bring up my car. I could perhaps just have someone follow me up with my car though while I ride up.

but anyway, my main concern is actually ridnig through I-95. I dont know if any of you have ridden a good portion of it on your bike, especially around the new york region, but it can get pretty hectic. Unless i did it either super early or super late when there are less cars on the road. Otherwise, even in my car alone I have to fear other drivers making stupid silly mistakes. I might need a lot more riding time then to get my self more comfortable with hiway riding.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. so its pretty obvious to ride it through then huh. It's not really carrying other stuff that would be the issue really. All my stuff is at my home in rhode island and i only have one luggage bag of clothes down here with me and also my car. I was going to trailer the bike with my dad's pick-up, drop the bike off at my home, then come back down with the pick-up in order to bring up my car. I could perhaps just have someone follow me up with my car though while I ride up.

but anyway, my main concern is actually ridnig through I-95. I dont know if any of you have ridden a good portion of it on your bike, especially around the new york region, but it can get pretty hectic. Unless i did it either super early or super late when there are less cars on the road. Otherwise, even in my car alone I have to fear other drivers making stupid silly mistakes. I might need a lot more riding time then to get my self more comfortable with hiway riding.

Never been through there on a bike but I've done I-95 there several times with a trailer. That's not exactly fun either. :(

I'd vote for Sunday, either early or late like you said. Less traffic - usually. Are you comfortable with night riding? If not, just get going at first light on Sunday. You'll be fine. :thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Trailering or riding, either is fine.

If you ride, keep in mind that your bike is on its break-in. You'll be limited to 7000RPM (85mph in top gear) and you're supposed to vary the RPM and load on the engine. If you get the bike and spend the next four hours droning along the interstate, you're not really following Yamaha's break-in recommendations.

Cheers,
Fred

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
Trailering or riding, either is fine.

If you ride, keep in mind that your bike is on its break-in. You'll be limited to 7000RPM (85mph in top gear) and you're supposed to vary the RPM and load on the engine. If you get the bike and spend the next four hours droning along the interstate, you're not really following Yamaha's break-in recommendations.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred - I know you meant well, but going 85 for very long on that road just isn't going to happen. 35 is more like it on most days. There are maybe ten toll stations placed every 5 miles or so in one section of 95. Overheating due to going too slow is a much more likely problem.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
break-in period period is up to 1200 miles i believe correct? from what i recall in the manual. yeah it'll definitely still be during that period. im trying to see if i can get the first 600 miles service in before i do go up either way at least.

quick fz

Throttle Jockey!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
In times like these you should ask yourself what valentino rossi would do..... and I think he would say "ride the piss out of it"

FzPilot

Reaction score
www.borczm.com
4 hours? no worries mate! the right hand will go numb in first half hour, the butt will follow in next 30 minutes, so there's two things you won't feel and have to worry about :D the migraine that comes next because you forgot ear plugs is nothing to worry as it knocks you out and makes the bugs flying in your nose not so noticeable :thumbup: ...you'll be fine, just ride it! :rolleyes:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

From New Jersey, I would recommend taking I-287 and go over the Tapanzee Bridge, which will loop around all that garbage so you dont have to take the GW Bridge and the NE Expressway. However, I-95 through Connecticut is no cup of tea either. You can also go through Hartford, but that's going to add some distance. But definatley take 287.

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
thats acutally a good idea vegas if i do decide to ride it out. i've taken the 287 route before and it is truly a much nicer rider. driving thourgh with plenty of space and even a nicer scenary. lol. because that part from the GWB on through the bronx was what would worry me the most about riding up there. from the construction, to people swerving lanes to get to exits, confusion, congestion most likely, all exactly as you described > garbage. as far as connecticut, after new haven, its a nice home stretch. but combining going at the right hour with taking the 287 route would be ideal.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
In times like these you should ask yourself what valentino rossi would do..... and I think he would say "ride the piss out of it"

+1

I'm going to add that to my repertoire of self-commentary while I'm riding - "What would Valentino Rossi do right now??"

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
As someone who travels around the country with my bike tied down on a rack on the back of my RV the best advice I can offer is not to bottom out the front forks or the rear shock when tensioning the tie downs. Put enough tension on the front forks and rear shock to set each at about mid travel. That way when you go over a bump the bike will always have tension on the tie downs but do not go more than half way.

I also know the road over which you’ll be traveling back to RI. Traffic is crazy and I don’t blame you for tailoring it. Have a good trip.:thumbup:

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
is a wheel lock necessary do you think? it's going to be a very close fit having the bike inside the trailer so there really isnt much, if any, room for it it to move back and forth. my main concern is keeping the bike securely upright thorughout the trip in the more likely chance that I do trailer it.