How many miles on Reserve ?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles can I expect to do on the reserve tank ?

Did 15.7 today because of bad planning by myself and got a little worried til I spotted the Fuel Sign :)

I know there is 3.6 l (0.79 Imp gal) but that doesn't tell me a lot :(

I don't even know what I'm getting to the gallon ... just fill her up n go :)

Any ideas folks ?

W

wrightme43

I have went almost 40, only and I mean only because of a power outage, so I could not pump fuel into my tank with about 15-20 miles on reserve already. I dont remember the exact numbers. They are in a thread on here somewhere, about a trip to land between the lakes. I bet it would go farther, but its not worth finding out, and pushing it down the road for 10 miles. I would rather ride.

That milage was at 70 indicated, with three stop lights. I weigh 155 lbs. Yours may vary.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have went almost 40, only and I mean only because of a power outage, so I could not pump fuel into my tank with about 15-20 miles on reserve already. I dont remember the exact numbers. They are in a thread on here somewhere, about a trip to land between the lakes. I bet it would go farther, but its not worth finding out, and pushing it down the road for 10 miles. I would rather ride.

That milage was at 70 indicated, with three stop lights. I weigh 155 lbs. Yours may vary.

40 sounds good ... I'll aim to refill in future by 20 then ... just to be sure :)

W

wrightme43

I have 38.5 on my reserve tank right now. It sounds almost but not quite empty when you shake the bike. I live less than 1/2 mile from the super rockmart.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reserve questions are also posted in the technical forum, under the "200 miles on one tank" thread. Our membership keeps growing everyday, and many of us, especailly our newest members,will have questions that have already been answered. It's just a mattier of finding them. This forum is a wealth of information. It has helped me a lot. It sure adds to the fun of owning the bike as well. We are all experiencing the same thrill and excitement as well as the pain and frustation for whatever the reasons might be with our FZ6's.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I have gone as far as 49 miles when the bar is flashing and still had about 0.8 gal left. I usually have about 2 gallons left when the flashing starts. I usally get 40-50 mpg so I don't really get concerned until the F reading 60-70 miles.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
As the UK has gone metric, we now buy fuel in litres. But, I've got to say 18Km/L means nothing to me. With the aid of a calculator I've established that it's 51mpg.
)

Sorry, I like to think in terms on how many KM I can ride on a litre of gas... the L per 100 KM somehow doesn't do it for me....

3.6L reserve x 18 KM/L = 64.8 KM on reserve or as you said 51 MPG (IMP) or 42 MPG (US)

hunterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
reserve?

There is a reserve?. I dont know I dont let the fuel go past 1/2 before I fill up again. OOOOOO when its there, I feel real good. when its 000 i feel its time to fill up again. I thought about letting it go into reserve just to see how many miles i can squeeze out of it.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
What happens when it goes to "reserve":Flash:

The last bar will start blinking and your odo will switch to "F-trip" which counts up from zero to indicate how many miles you have driven on your reserve fuel. Most kick in about 3.5 gals(US) from full.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

There is a reserve?. I dont know I dont let the fuel go past 1/2 before I fill up again. OOOOOO when its there, I feel real good. when its 000 i feel its time to fill up again. I thought about letting it go into reserve just to see how many miles i can squeeze out of it.
I was the same way at first, now I always ride till I see the blinking light, sometimes a bit further the most fuel I've had to pump was 4.7 gallons. that was with 33 miles on the fuel trip of fast riding.:Sport:

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
I was curious as to when it came on .... I just was on a short ride and was down to two bars at 147 miles and filled it up it only took 3 gallons. Which is about 47 mpg.

Keep in mind I am in break in only 300 miles on it so rarely over 7,000 rpm ...

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
So yea.
If you happen to average 42-45 MPG, your reserve will last exactly 48.4 miles.
And from "so-empty-it-wont-****ing-start" to full is about 4.9 US Gal.
And pushing it though the intersection because you almost-****ing-made-it is, unpleasant.

What, when, where, and how I acquired this knowledge is classified.

:rant:

W

wrightme43

So yea.
If you happen to average 42-45 MPG, your reserve will last exactly 48.4 miles.
And from "so-empty-it-wont-****ing-start" to full is about 4.9 US Gal.
And pushing it though the intersection because you almost-****ing-made-it is, unpleasant.

What, when, where, and how I acquired this knowledge is classified.

:rant:

At least you were pushing a FZ6.

Abnatare

04 FZ6 Blue with 2bros
Reaction score
Visit site
It will all depend on several factors.

Some of those factors are:
- your weight - more weight means more fuel consumed to move that weight plus aerodynamics and resistance
- how aggressive you are riding, how many rpms you are pushing at each gear - higher revs means mroe fuel burned
- hills, wind, - resistance causing more horsepower to be used
- the efficiency of your air filter, the oil (new, old, etc), and I think the type of exhaust you have (not sure about that one).

I have been to 45 in mine but did not pay attention to how much fuel it took to fill up so I am not sure how close to actual Empty I was. In general I am getting 52 miles per gallon but that definitely changes depending on how aggressive I drive. This last tank I only got about 40 mpg because I was on some twisties and having a blast with some crotch rocket riding friends so I was running pretty aggressive to keep up and lead the Gixxers and the Busa.