Camping - Compact Tents

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone have an ultra compact tent recommendation for carrying on the bike? I am looking for something that ends up a VERY small package when it's ready for travel. Two person only. What do you all use, if any?

I can tell you it won't be THIS one! Pinnacle Pass 2A I cannot afford that! ;)

I had found one that was packed at 6"x6"x12" but never bookmarked it and cannot find it again. The best I've found is 18.5" x 6" packed. Not bad and may have to do.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance!

The Rayman

Professional Cat Herder
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
It's not 2 person, hell it's not even really a tent, but it packs up smaller than anything and it'll keep you dry:
Black Diamond Winter Bivy Sack from Backcountry.com

This one claims a packed size of 6x9, but it might not do so well in the rain:
Black Diamond Lighthouse Tent 2-Person 3-Season from Backcountry.com

I've got a kelty quartz 4 season tent that I take with me on long trips. I usually just strap it to the grab rail on the back or throw it in one of my saddle bags....but then I'm always going solo, so packing space has never been a concern for me.

Here are some more sites worth checking out:
Outdoor Gear from Campmor - Clothing, Camping Equipment and More - Top Brands including North Face & Columbia Sportswear
REI: Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Fitness, Kayaking, Canoeing and More
Backcountry.com: The North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Arc'teryx Skiing, Camping, Hiking and Backpacking Gear

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In June I went canoeing in Belgium and travelled down on the bike (without family, met friends down there). Anyway before I went I was planning to strap the tent on the passengers seat, to my surprise I found I could get my tent in my Givi/yamaha top case relatively easily. The tent was a basic cheap nylon/mesh igloo tent for 3 people (2 people comfortably) with fibre poles. The poles just fitted (folded up of course). I first had to put the main part of the tent in (as the top case is tapered at the bottom) then the poles just layed on top, in the widest part of the case. There was still room for a (heavy) sleeping bag and some clothes.

I can't find the model of the tent on internet as it is about 10 years old (and still going strong) but it is similar to the most basic igloo tents on the market at the moment. When I see some of the prices of the really small tents I'm pleased that my standard tent fits in my top case :thumbup:

As for a gore-tex Bivi bag we had to use these (mainly on exercise) when I was based in Germany (military). Now I still have mine from those days, but I would never use it if I had an option. Now even with the very good sleeping bags we were issued (they were made to combine with the bivi bag) it was as uncomfortable as hell. This would only be an option if you could find a lot of leaf litter or hay to lay in.

Last edited:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I do a fair amount of backpacking so space and size is a premium for me too. Unfortunately my favorite tents are no longer made. Guess like fashion clothes, tent mfgs have to be pitching something new. (Yuk, yuk)

I will offer a few features I look for and would expect to find in most 3 season tents:

• taped seams
  • some type of either heavy vinyl of coated floor.
  • rain fly that goes all the way to ground. Discount tents scrimp in this area.
Have you considered renting a tent from someplace like REI? Their rental equipment is typically good gear and well priced.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Man those aren't cheap!

I would get one of those cheap-o's at a sporting goods store that rolls up. Then strap it vertically to the side of my other bags. I believe that would works, somehow.

But I am sure those tents are extreamly nice and are actually waterproof and protect you much better. You get what you pay for I suppose.

-bryan

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
I also do quite a bit of backpacking. I use a Sierra Designs "light year" tent myself. With the fly and everything pack weight is around 2 pounds 1 or 2 ounces. I would recommend anything from Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs, and of course The North Face. They all make a great tent and will handles anything you throw at them.

Here are a couple of sites to check out...................

Sierra Trading Post - Save 35-70% on Famous Name Brands

Buy camping and hiking equipment from SunnySports.com

http://www.campsaver.com/index.php

REI: Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing for Camping, Hiking, Cycling, Fitness, Kayaking, Canoeing and More

Backcountry.com: The North Face, Mountain Hardwear and Arc'teryx Skiing, Camping, Hiking and Backpacking Gear

Altrec.com - The North Face, Patagonia, Backpacks, Shoes, Board Shorts, Camping Equipment

Here is one of my favorite places..................

MountainGear.com; Outdoor gear and clothing for climbing, hiking, skiing, camping & backpacking.

Here is a site (magazine) that does a lot of reviews on camping and outdoor products......................

Backpacker Magazine - Your Backpacking, Hiking, Camping, Outdoor Gear, Adventure Travel, and Skills Magazine

Hope this helps :D

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
I will offer a few features I look for and would expect to find in most 3 season tents:

• taped seams
  • some type of either heavy vinyl of coated floor.
  • rain fly that goes all the way to ground. Discount tents scrimp in this area.
Have you considered renting a tent from someplace like REI? Their rental equipment is typically good gear and well priced.

I will add to that list - DOUBLE WALL. In an effort to shave precious ounces many tent makers are going to single wall construction. This basically means no rain fly. These tent still have large vents and mesh areas that are tucked out of the elements, but they don't breath as well as their double walled cousins. The biggest problem is condensation inside the tent. Rain water doesn't get in, but condensation can still form on the inside of the tent unless you are very careful about how and where you pitch your tent. Air movement is key!

With that said, I LOVE my single wall Squall2 from TarpTent. It's crazy light and very spacious. It's not the best for moto-touring because it requires at least one trekking pole for pitching. I doubt many of us cary trekking poles on the bike. I often do, but I'm strange..

gforce2002

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6inNH, you could also check out the new EMS store in North Conway, I've always thought they provide great advice and service there. I do quite a bit of backpacking and I've had good luck with Eureka tents, and they are typically not all that expensive. But as a general rule, the smaller packaged and lighter the tent you get, the more you're going to pay. Keep in mind that most backpacking tents will also need a groundsheet if you're using them in the NorthEast, since any dampness in the ground easily seeps through the nylon floor.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after consulting with the Boss, her and I think this is the best choice. I know it's not cheap but we've looked at less expensive ones and feel that we'd be best suited with some quality construction and this has a lot of thought process in the design. Large and packs neatly!

Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 SL Tent from Campmor

16"x8" packed is nice. I can lay it over the pillion and saddle bags and attach the tail bag on top of it to secure it. The fly and the large open no-seeum mesh will allow a ton of air flow. Best part is it is actually a three-person thus we'll have room to spare for gear and such.

I really appreciate all your help, links, feedback, etc! Great responses folks!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a link to the sort of igloo tent I was talking about (that fits in my top case)
I know the exchange rate is pretty lousy for you guys state side at the moment but it's still pretty cheap, and big enough to be comfortable.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked with our big EMS here in Portsmouth and their prices are a bit over the top. They had some nice ones though.

Cloggy, how big is your top-case? 60cm is quite long. ;) One thought is to pack the tent without the poles into a smaller bag and tie the poles to the luggage outside of everything. With a top-case, you could bungie them to the mount. :D

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after consulting with the Boss, her and I think this is the best choice. I know it's not cheap but we've looked at less expensive ones and feel that we'd be best suited with some quality construction and this has a lot of thought process in the design. Large and packs neatly!

Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 SL Tent from Campmor

16"x8" packed is nice. I can lay it over the pillion and saddle bags and attach the tail bag on top of it to secure it. The fly and the large open no-seeum mesh will allow a ton of air flow. Best part is it is actually a three-person thus we'll have room to spare for gear and such.

I really appreciate all your help, links, feedback, etc! Great responses folks!

Great choice. BA makes some great tents (so I've been told by countless sources.) You'll enjoy it for years to come I'm sure.

When's the East Coast Fazer Camp Out?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're having the meet on Aug 23rd with the 24th as the rain date. Some are camping, some at cabins, hotels, motels, resorts, etc... some doing a day trip (long day!) We opted for the resort for this trip because I had timeshare points I had to use or lose! ;)