Can someone explain / recommend good eye protection?

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
When I don't have my helmet on (not too often) I've been wearing just a regular pair of sunglasses. I wanted to buy a better pair that are made for motorcycle riding. Also, it's pretty hard for me to see with them at night.

What do you guys wear (style and brand)?

I've seen lots out there and don't really know what's good. Most come in the option of smoked, clear, and amber lenses. A couple pairs that I'm considering come with all 3 lenses and are interchangeable. Smoked is for day, and clear is for night... so when do you use amber lenses and what are they for?

I've also seen more expensive transitional lenses that get lighter or darker depending on the amount of light outside. Has anyone worn these?

Thanks!

-Taso

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride WITH a helmet on... :squid: :D

I have a clear visor and wear my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses under the visor. At night, I put the glasses in the case in my jacket and ride with the visor down. NH doesn't have a helmet law for over 18 people. I wouldn't even consider getting on my bike without a full face helmet but this is my own personal choice. :rockon:

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
Wear a full face helmet! best eye protection out there, not to mention a few other important parts:thumbup:

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride WITH a helmet on... :squid: :D
I wouldn't even consider getting on my bike without a full face helmet but this is my own personal choice. :rockon:

Yeah, I agree with you... I'm talking like 5% of the time when I need to go down the street in my neighborhood or something like that (25 mph speed limit). But anything can happen, at any time, at any speed. So I'll probably start wearing it 100% of the time no matter where I go. But I was still wondering about the amber lenses.

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I agree with you... I'm talking like 5% of the time when I need to go down the street in my neighborhood or something like that (25 mph speed limit). But anything can happen, at any time, at any speed. So I'll probably start wearing it 100% of the time no matter where I go. But I was still wondering about the amber lenses.

I also do have a full faced Arai Profile helmet... so trust me, I didn't spend $450 to just let it sit around. ;)

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a clear visor and wear my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses under the visor. At night, I put the glasses in the case in my jacket and ride with the visor down.

Are there any safety issues with wearing sunglasses under a full faced helmet? Would having the glasses on under the helmet hurt you in any way during a crash? My helmet has a clear visor as well, and I think it would be easier to throw on a pair of sunglasses during the day instead of having to swap out the visor with darker one.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never leave the parking lot without my helmet. Sometimes I do leave the visor up the whole time and wear my Oakley Z87 rated sunglasses.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Please do... even the short trips. It's typically when you are "most comfortable" when something happens and that is usually on familiar roads and close to home.

Even 5 mph can crush a person's skull. Ride safe!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Except for night time I always wear an old pair of Ray Ban Wayfarers, you know, the Tom Cruise Risky Business shades. The straight bows fit under my lid, which I wear ALL OF THE TIME BTW, just fine. The frames are strong so they don't break and I like the quality of the Ray Ban lenses. My Oakleys don't fit well at all because the bows flare out a bit. With the sunglasses I can flip the visor up at traffic lights and stay a bit cooler.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My Maui Jim's are extremely light and flexible and are pinched in quite well so there's no danger in them bouncing around inside the visor.

Hope that helps but the best help is "Wear thy gear!" ATGATT! :D

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do... even the short trips. It's typically when you are "most comfortable" when something happens and that is usually on familiar roads and close to home.

Even 5 mph can crush a person's skull. Ride safe!!

Yes I totally understand your point :thumbup:... I appreciate it and I agree with you 100%. So as I mentioned I will start wearing it 100% of the time (and I'm not just saying that either!).

So now that the point has been made to wear a helmet whenever you get on a bike or face eternal rejection from every member of this site lol... can someone please answer my original question?

What are amber lenses for?

Thanks guys!

I can obviously tell you guys are totally concerned with the safety of your fellow riders. That's awesome!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I don't have my helmet on (not too often) I've been wearing just a regular pair of sunglasses. I wanted to buy a better pair that are made for motorcycle riding. Also, it's pretty hard for me to see with them at night.

What do you guys wear (style and brand)?

I've seen lots out there and don't really know what's good. Most come in the option of smoked, clear, and amber lenses. A couple pairs that I'm considering come with all 3 lenses and are interchangeable. Smoked is for day, and clear is for night... so when do you use amber lenses and what are they for?

I've also seen more expensive transitional lenses that get lighter or darker depending on the amount of light outside. Has anyone worn these?

Thanks!

-Taso

Hee, hee! I'm glad our point was taken to heart. :cheer:

Amber - I've only used them in low light, or in bad weather, like skiing in flat light (overcast day) or riding a bicycle during rain. They help with seeing contrast better.

It is so bright here I only use dark lenes under a light smoke visor. While the dark visors are cool looking I like to be able to remove my sunglasses at night and not have to change visors.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

My understanding is that the amber lense is best for bright sunny days when there is alot of reflective light. The amber is suppose to block the blue light spectrum and give you better visual clarity.

eyedoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been lurking on this site for months now and this question prompted me to register. I have learned a lot about my bike and riding from reading.

So, on to the question at hand.

Clear lenses are easy, riding at night/low light.
Grey lenses only act to darken white light so they are good for high intensity light/sunlight situations.

Now, on to amber lenses. It answers the age old question "Why is the sky blue?" Particles in the atmosphere break apart white light from the sun. Blue light (which is high energy) is scattered the most so the sky has a blue appearance. This also applies to hazy/cloudy days. Blue and yellow are complementary colors. Amber lenses block all of the scattered blue light from haze/fog and let through all of the other colors.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been lurking on this site for months now and this question prompted me to register. I have learned a lot about my bike and riding from reading.

So, on to the question at hand.

Clear lenses are easy, riding at night/low light.
Grey lenses only act to darken white light so they are good for high intensity light/sunlight situations.

Now, on to amber lenses. It answers the age old question "Why is the sky blue?" Particles in the atmosphere break apart white light from the sun. Blue light (which is high energy) is scattered the most so the sky has a blue appearance. This also applies to hazy/cloudy days. Blue and yellow are complementary colors. Amber lenses block all of the scattered blue light from haze/fog and let through all of the other colors.

First, :welcome: to the forum! Thanks for signing up!

Second, thanks for an expert answer! :thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I guess eyedoc's explanation also explains why I see a lot of people at the race track with clear shields and amber glasses.

Hmmm....I need some prescription sunglasses and maybe an amber pair too.

eyedoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess eyedoc's explanation also explains why I see a lot of people at the race track with clear shields and amber glasses.

Hmmm....I need some prescription sunglasses and maybe an amber pair too.

It's just 7 quick hours over to Omaha for a prescription. I lived in Chicago for 4 years during school.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was leaving one night from work, I was asked why don't I use a clear visor and wear sunglasses during the day, versus putting on my safety glasses at night since I have a smoke tinted visor that is too dark to use at night. I explained to him that the sun is so scorching hot during the summer, that the smoke visor helps keep the heat off my entire face. Wearing sunglasses would not provide me with the same protection.

I find it much more convenient using clear safety glasses rather than swapping out visors. The protection isn't as great, but it's usually only for my ride home. If I was travelling a great distance at night, I would recommend a clear visor.