Be cautious using Simple Green to clean you chain

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
"Anal military aircraft types go absolutely nuts when they hear about
Simple Green being used to clean an aluminum m/c frame. Cleaning
aluminum with Simple Green type chemicals in an aircraft will get you
suspended for a serious safety violation."

Well, I guess it depends upon your POV re: "Safety"... :rolleyes: These guys use Freon to clean their aircraft iirc. :eek: Can you say "hole in the ozone layer"?

Thanks for the heads up re: Simple Green....I use it sparingly (and diluted) from time to time on the undercarriage of my 06 FZ6.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, Our Director of Maintenance has instructed our detailers not to use similar products that contains citric acid on our helicopters because they are very acidic.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
"Anal military aircraft types go absolutely nuts when they hear about
Simple Green being used to clean an aluminum m/c frame. Cleaning
aluminum with Simple Green type chemicals in an aircraft will get you
suspended for a serious safety violation."

Well, I guess it depends upon your POV re: "Safety"... :rolleyes: These guys use Freon to clean their aircraft iirc. :eek: Can you say "hole in the ozone layer"?

Thanks for the heads up re: Simple Green....I use it sparingly (and diluted) from time to time on the undercarriage of my 06 FZ6.

In the USAF we have strict rules about which cleaners we use for certain purposes and neither simple green nor freon are on any acceptable cleaners list. In fact it's technically illegal to use something simple like windex on the airplane.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the USAF we have strict rules about which cleaners we use for certain purposes and neither simple green nor freon are on any acceptable cleaners list. In fact it's technically illegal to use something simple like windex on the airplane.

So what does the USAF use to get all of the soot (exhaust ) off the aircraft?

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.
From their website.

I think with any degreaser you should be careful and rinse off right away. I thought our rims were magnesium, but they are painted anyway. Probably should be careful when I hose the engine with the stuff.

Thanks for the info I had no idea.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do not use Castrol Super Clean either. It also started taking the finish/paint off. I only use quick detailers and paint safe bug/tar removers now.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
You are not suppost to use anything with citric acid to clean aluminum. 409 is great to clean bikes and has no citric acid.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads-up!

The manual says Kerosene only but I know people have all kinds of products or other methods. I've been using Kerosene for every chain I've cleaned since I was able to ride. It's quick and cleans very well. Cleaning it on the bike for the riding season and once off the bike before storage. :D

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
According to our users manual, in the specification section, it just says the wheels are "cast". I guess that could mean they are either cast aluminum or cast magnesium.