Bridgestone BT021 initial tire evaluation

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I went to the coast of Oregon and put on 162 miles on my bridgestone bt021’s. So between yesterday and today they have a total of 222 miles. Before I left I reduced the air in the front tire to 31 psi. and the rear to 34 psi. I knew I’d gain a pound or two back in the tires when they got warm. I reduced the air pressure to aid in the breaking in process but more importantly to put more rubber in contact with the road as a measure of safety while they were breaking in. It’s about a 60 mile trip to the coast and I had to stop for gas when I got there. I checked the tires and noticed an indication of a 1” chicken strips on the rear tire. Since this is normal for me I decided to air up the tires to 33 psi front and 36 psi rear. I’ll ride them at this pressure for a while and then add a couple of psi to the front and back for highway travel.

The 021’s have the same rubber composition in the center of the tire as the 020’s and extends about 1” on either side of the centerline of the tire. From the where the harder compound leaves off is a softer rubber compound found on the bt014’s to the tire edge. I don’t know the type or rubber composition of the front tire.

Honestly, I liked the 020’s and the only reason for the change was they were worn out. They were good on the highways and gave me no concern in the twisties. The biggest difference I noticed was not between the type of tires but between the old and new tires. I had about a one inch or better flat spot on the old rear tire that created quite a lip toward the side of the tire so when I went into a curve I “fell off the lip” onto the curve of the tire. With the new tire the bike just rolls into the curves so smooth.

The one behavior of mine that I think put undo wear on my old front tire was the constant use of the front brake. I notice it today and on my way back front the coast I started to use my rear break a lot more. There was only one time I had to apply the front and back brake together and I didn’t notice the front end taking a dive.(Please, no lecture on how to feather the front brake):spank:

In conclusion, I think I’ll get the same mileage or more from the 021’s as I got from the 020’s(14,000 mi.) now that I changed my breaking habit.:rockon:

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll add my quick .02. I just rode about 100 miles on a new BT-021 front. I've had a rear 021 for about 1600 mi. Coming from the old 020, the new tires seem to have better grip while providing a more compliant ride. While I was taking it easy on this new tire, the bike felt more secure and confidence inspiring on my familiar roads. Good so far and I'm glad I made the switch.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear the BT021's are getting pretty good reviews!

I'm still on my stock Dunlop Sportmax tires, and I'm starting to research a set of replacement shoes. Still kinda torn between the BT021's or a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's.

Any input guys and gals?

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear the BT021's are getting pretty good reviews!

I'm still on my stock Dunlop Sportmax tires, and I'm starting to research a set of replacement shoes. Still kinda torn between the BT021's or a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2CT's.

Any input guys and gals?

I was looking at the same tires, and ended up buying Pirelli Diablo Stradas instead.:D So far I am impressed, I highly recommend the Stradas. Though I have had Bridgestone MC tires in the past, and was always happy with them. I have heard very good things about the BT021s here and on other forums.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/18886-pirelli-diablo-stradas-initial-review.html

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my 21s. The increase in grip on steep lean angles is heands and shoulders above the 20s. I run through the turns faster and with more confidence. The front is a single compound, while the rear is a 2 CT. I was also looking at the Pilot Roads, but went with the 21s for the price. I'll try the Pilots next time.
I always toy with the idea of getting stickier rubber, but with the milage I put on the bike I would need 2 sets each season.

Yamahamike

Reaction score
Visit site
I did'nt like the 020's that came with the bike. 10,000 miles. I got my new 002's. I broke them in at 41psi. Still at 41. I rode them Hard today. They stick like glue. I Love them.

Disco@cyclesector

Reaction score
Visit site
The 021's are definitely great sport touring tires. We sell a lot of the BT-016's because of the hard center compound for longevity and for the softer compounds on the sides for grip.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't gotten a clear answer as to how hard the center compound is.
Will they last as long as the 21s? If so, I don't see myself getting the 21s again.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just recently hit 8K on the OEM Bridge 20's, no real complaints about them. Replaced them with the Bridge 21's and logged over 300miles on them, grips well for a sport "touring" tires. I'm still taking it easy on the corners with the new rubber, a few more hundred miles and I'll start being aggressive around the bends. Overall great tire for the price, got mine at Moto Superstore... shipped for free and cheap install at recommended shops.

Ares