Acuman Digi Gear - Easy Mod

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Acumen Digi Gear - Easy Mod

Hello guys and girls.

Here is my "How to install an Acumen Digi Gear Indicator"
I installed this on my 2007 FZ6 S2 but it is the same wiring for all other recent models. You could easily do this in under an hour. depending on your soldering skills !

Ok.. firstly you will need :

1) Acumen Digi Gear ! :thumbup: Paid about £60 ($120 US) for this including blue alloy housing.

watermark.php

2) Tools for the job:

2 x bungees (to hold tank up)
Drill
Soldering Iron and solder
Stanley Knife (any sharp blade will do)
Pliers or wire cutters
Black insulation tape
A few tie wraps (I only used about 3)
Super Glue
size 4mm and 5mm allen keys
watermark.php

NOW THE INSTALLATION

First of all remove the black panels around the dash. They are held in by 8 bolts. Use the 4mm Allen key for this.

watermark.php

Continued ....

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Acumen Digi Gear Continued ...

Secondly remove the 2 tank bolts at the headstock with the 5mm allen key.

watermark.php

Next carefully lift the tank up and hold it in place with the 2 bungees :thumbup: I love this improvisation !
It can be made easier by removing the 2 connectors under the tank... remember when you reconnect them that the green one goes to the bottom.

watermark.php

watermark.php

CONTINUED ....

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Acumen Digi Gear Continued ...

Now that you have the Tank out of the way you can get down to the nitty gritty.

You now need to route the Digi Gear wire with the bare wires from your dash to the ECU housing under the tank.

I chose to go around the battery on the right hand side. There is plenty of room to feed it through and I used a couple of tie wraps to keep it in place.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Now you have the wire where you want it for connecting (next to the ECU)

Now disconnect the male connector from the ECU housing (makes it easier to get to your wires for soldering)

watermark.php

watermark.php

You now need to carefully slice off the black tape around the wires to gain access. If you can peel it off without a knife then I suppose it would be a safer option.

CONTINUED...

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Digi Gear Continued ...

Now the tricky bit ... or not so tricky if you're a dab hand at soldering !!

You now need to solder the following wires off the Digi Gear wire to the wires coming off the male ECU connector:

Digi Wire connect to ECU male connector
RED ----------------> RED with white stripe + brown dots
BROWN ----------------> GREY with brown dots
BLACK ----------------> BLACK with brown dots
ORANGE ----------------> WHITE with yellow stripe and brown dots

The GREEN wire needs soldering to a seperate light blue wire coming off the white connector. Check out the picture.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Continued ...

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Digi Gear Indicator Continued ...

Now you need to put all your bits back together.

Don't forget to reconnect the male connector to the ECU housing.

Reconnect the 2 wires under the fuel tank (Green connector at the bottom)

When releasing the tank back down from the bungees be careful that your fuel pipes don't snag on anything.. Also make sure the fuel vent pipe on the right goes back through the little loop at the bottom of the bike. It just hangs there.

Next replace the tank bolts. Thats the tank back secure again.

Now all that is left is a quick positioning of the Digi Gear Indicator.

I chose the position in the picture but I suppose its dealers choice :)

watermark.php

I drilled about a 12mm hole in the dash to get the connector through... It then just clips into the other connector that runs the wire to the ECU wires. All nicely tucked away out of sight behind the dash housing.

I superglued one half of the velcro type stickers that come with the indicator to the dash for extra strength. The sticker alone wasn't that secure.

SO... with it all in place the final job is an easy programme.

PROGRAMMING THE DIGI GEAR

ENSURE BIKE IS ON CENTRE STAND OR A PADDOCK STAND !!

a)with the engine running and the bike in neutral the Indicator will display 0 (this is the sign for neutral that you can change to n if you wish)

b)Insert and hold the programming key in the back of the unit until an L is displayed. (aprox 10 secs)

c)with the L displayed press the key 6 times ... once for each gear.

d)Remove the key and wait for the Neutral indicator to appear. (leave engine running)

e)select the first gear,let the clutch out and run the engine between 2-4000 rpm until the 1 flashes. The display will then change to 3 bars and then to a number 2. NOW SELECT NEUTRAL

f)Now select 2nd gear and run til the 2 flashes then changes to 3 bars then number 3 ... Now select 3rd gear and do the same for 4,5 and 6.

You can now select Neutral and turn the ignition off.

And thats it ... easy peasy lemon squeezy !

JOB DONE :)

Hope you liked and thanks for lookin.

watermark.php

Last edited:

StarWing

Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't you suppose to ride the bike when programming this unit ? When I installed one last year on my FZS600 '02, I needed to drive so the rpm/speed ratio could be measured.
Otherwise, I couldn't programm it

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't you suppose to ride the bike when programming this unit ? When I installed one last year on my FZS600 '02, I needed to drive so the rpm/speed ratio.
Otherwise, I couldn't programm it

You can go through the gears to programme it on a paddock stand, Rolling road or centre stand.

I used the centre stand and it was fine.. Just made sure everything was well clear of the bike !! :)

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I've found with a few more miles under my belt, I can "usually" tell what gear I'm in. So, I decided not to get a gear indicator.

However, You do lovely neat work & the step by step instructions are excellent. 10 out of 10 mate :thumbup:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I've found with a few more miles under my belt, I can "usually" tell what gear I'm in. So, I decided not to get a gear indicator.

However, You do lovely neat work & the step by step instructions are excellent. 10 out of 10 mate :thumbup:

Thanks Phil ... appreciated mate ..

Me being a newbie to all this I found I was constantly going for 7th lol

:Sport:

W

wrightme43

Good job, I like that you kept with the much faster blue them. Thank you very much for the write up and pictures. It will help people.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Phil ... appreciated mate ..

Me being a newbie to all this I found I was constantly going for 7th lol

A NEWBIE??? Ya mad thing!! I would have said you were a pro...that description and the pictures were excellent...I should have done that when I fitted an alarm to my 125cc bike!!

O and where did you buy it? Is £60 a good price?

Fair play!! :):rockon:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
A NEWBIE??? Ya mad thing!! I would have said you were a pro...that description and the pictures were excellent...I should have done that when I fitted an alarm to my 125cc bike!!

O and where did you buy it? Is £60 a good price?

Fair play!! :):rockon:

Thanks ... Appreciated :)

Busters Motorcycle Accessories These were doing it for £59.99 with a free Alloy Billet Housing. Not sure If that deal is still on.

I actually paid about £75 looking back through my e-mails from Bikers Discount Store - UK Motorcycle Accessories -Motorbike Parts - Glpro - Motrax - Datatool ... Should have looked a bit harder !!

Also if you order one it is the DG8 Universal fit .. they don't yet support the plug and play one for the FZ6. (It would be easier lol but more expensive !)

The cheaper Datatool one for £39.99 would probably be as good (not sure but they might be same company as Acumen)

Good luck anyhow and I fully recommend It !

Thanks again and hope it helped :Sport:

Last edited:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! I use to think that there wasnt a need for one.....then i went for a long saturday ride through some unfamiliar twisties. I found that i was constantly over shifting up and down just to find the right gear. I mean lets face it, when you are riding with 30 other sportbike riders it gets hard to pay attention to whats going on around you while worrying as to what gear you are in. Heck, even Rossi uses a gear indicator so thats got to tell you a little about the importance of it. After seeing how easy it was for you to do it i think i might get one...............does it come in red:confused:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Hay Jonac,

Can I be critical about it?

Of course I think it looks great on the bike and you sure did a super super job at installing it on the bike but did you consider sinking the unit into the faring so you only have the digital display (front section) visible while the remainer of the unit was hidden behind? If you did then obviously its not possible to do this, I'm not familiar with the unit so I'm just throwing out an idea!

Reason why I ask this is because I may well buy one for the bike but I'd be more in favour of having the unit flush with that part of the faring. If making it flush isn't possible then the other alternative is to have a black aloy housing...do they sell these?

I'm getting pretty excited about getting this new bike and am researching everything I possibly can...so excuse me if my questions are more than annoying!! :)

O and what colour is the FZ6 S2 backlight on the dash?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Hay Jonac,

Can I be critical about it?

Of course I think it looks great on the bike and you sure did a super super job at installing it on the bike but did you consider sinking the unit into the faring so you only have the digital display (front section) visible while the remainer of the unit was hidden behind? If you did then obviously its not possible to do this, I'm not familiar with the unit so I'm just throwing out an idea!

Reason why I ask this is because I may well buy one for the bike but I'd be more in favour of having the unit flush with that part of the faring. If making it flush isn't possible then the other alternative is to have a black aloy housing...do they sell these?

I'm getting pretty excited about getting this new bike and am researching everything I possibly can...so excuse me if my questions are more than annoying!! :)

O and what colour is the FZ6 S2 backlight on the dash?

Hi mate, I'm sure it would be possible to flush mount it. There is lots of room behind the dash housing. Would probably not be that difficult to be honest and would also be a lot more secure (more difficult for thieving gits to rip off :) )

If you do this could you please post some pics on here so I can see them .. Cheers mate JC