Tank bolts

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
What are the little bolts called that "hold" the tank down? I've apparently lost mine. Whenever I google to find replacements, the only thing I get are new tank lid bolts.

S

sportrider

I'm not sure, I looked in the service manual and found them but they just have the torque values.

I'd just go to the dealer if you want the factory bolts and order the bolts from them, or you can try taking the remaining bolt you have(if you still have one) and go to a hardware store and find something that matches.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are the little bolts called that "hold" the tank down? I've apparently lost mine. Whenever I google to find replacements, the only thing I get are new tank lid bolts.

Another member (Whrilygirl) lost the same bolts during her trip down to the states. You may want to try some medium strength threadlocker / locktight when you replace the bolts so they don't come off again.

Welcome to the Forum by the way, that group shot in front of the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign is getting bigger and bigger.

BillM, Chaching, Devol, Idanny are the other local members that I know of.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
Another member (Whrilygirl) lost the same bolts during her trip down to the states. You may want to try some medium strength threadlocker / locktight when you replace the bolts so they don't come off again.

Welcome to the Forum by the way, that group shot in front of the "Welcome to Las Vegas" sign is getting bigger and bigger.

BillM, Chaching, Devol, Idanny are the other local members that I know of.

Considering you actually need to go down there often(well often enough).. I'm not sure that'd be a good idea... Then again since I'm going to end up ordering them, I guess I could order 10+. I mean shipping isn't going down any!

You know, I've still yet to see another fz6 on the road! It's kinda lonely :p I'm on 702sportbikes, but.. eh I dunno. And after I get my givi cases then, I'm really odd out around there.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM bolts are M6 and around 20mm length. Also washer is preinstalled in bolt.
Refer to lazamus69-san's comment, why dont you order OEM?

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you get stainless steel, not galvanized.

Allow my intrupption, I wouldn't think use stainless bolt is better idea. Aluminume side(screw hole) will has corrosion by galvanize though I dodn't check finish of screw hole.

If you need to use stainless steel bolt at aluminium or steel part at temporaly use, ptting grease will makes it slower a lot.

Keits

Dela-Where?
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Another member (Whrilygirl) lost the same bolts during her trip down to the states.

Not that it alters the meat and potatos of your post Vegas, but I thought "whirlygirl" was a dude and the screenname is a reference to the helicopter (flight medic or something similar) he flies in....

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM bolts are M6 and around 20mm length. Also washer is preinstalled in bolt.
Refer to lazamus69-san's comment, why dont you order OEM?

I did actually... I ordered 10 -just- in case lol(and i feel silly buying 2 and paying their price in shipping). Maybe some of these vegas fz6'er might need em one day.. or maybe i'll lose more. (then again i'll probably lose the extras)

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
They are Stainless from the factory. It wouldnt hurt to put blue locktite on them. Stainless will not seize into the holes.

I think just looks like. Recently, YAMAHA seems to do improvement of plating. I'll check and proof it with magnet next weekend.

Thanks,

Jun

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Though I can't find simple descriptions in English but, I show one resource. Stainless steel has larger gap with alminium more than between steels and Aluminium. I don't make sure screw hole seize will appear with just the cause of galvanic corrosion or not, you can predict handling of stainless steel is not easy to use with aluminium from table as below.

Galvanic Table

In addition, Steels with good finish and plating will be smaller gap with aluminium.

Last edited:

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I did actually... I ordered 10 -just- in case lol(and i feel silly buying 2 and paying their price in shipping). Maybe some of these vegas fz6'er might need em one day.. or maybe i'll lose more. (then again i'll probably lose the extras)

Actually, I also missed two bolts for two weeks ago when I install additional idling speed adjuster LOL. I'll order like you in case of such time.

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
i used to be very anti-loctite because i come from a HVAC background but on motorcycles its a good idea. i'm on my 3rd bike and it still shocks me how easily these bolts come loose.

RustyBasterd

Reaction score
Visit site
So I noticed mine were missing this morning, so I went to the hardware store today they did not carry the m6 by 20mm in stainless so I picked up HD which I think might be galvanized. How can I tell if they are galvanized?

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I would also like to mention that both of my tank bolts came out at around 1500 miles on my bike. I found them underneath my tank! Apparently that spot gets enough vibration to loosen them!

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the bolt at the bottom end on the tank? Stainless? Length? Size?

Mine has threaded. I think it's an M6, but I neglected to measure it when I removed it earlier today.

On another note, 13k miles and the top two bolts never loosened through vibration...no locktite on them either. Strange how some people have this problem and I don't.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the bolt at the bottom end on the tank? Stainless? Length? Size?

Mine has threaded. I think it's an M6, but I neglected to measure it when I removed it earlier today.

On another note, 13k miles and the top two bolts never loosened through vibration...no locktite on them either. Strange how some people have this problem and I don't.

See post #13:http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/45141-gas-tank-pivot-bolt-2.html

The TOTAL (end to end) lenth is 96 mm's on my 2007. A 94mm, would work as well. It is an M6

If the nut (attached to the gas tank) is damaged beyond repair, I'd drill the old stripped threads away (just slightly larger), then put a self locking SS nylon nut on over it. Its not going anywhere...

The shoulder of the bolt does NOT BOTTOM OUT where it screws into the fuel tank tab (that'd be the blurry picture)

As for the two ft bolts, I've never lost one, I don't torque them to factory spec's, just good and snug.

Last edited:

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
well it seems it's an issue for some of us :)
I actually saw one of mine disappearing - a couple of hundred miles on the motorway and I look down to see one gone and one just balancing in front of the tank (at 140kph).....balanced all the way to the side of road and rescued and refitted and tightened....loctited five minutes after coming home and ever since!