Alpinestar ST-5 Drystar

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Alpinestars ST-5 Drystar Textile Pant - Read Reviews and Buy at KneeDraggers.com

So I am really eyeing these? Anyone tried them or heard anything about em'? I like the large pockets for touring and carrying camera accessories when off the bike. That and the removable liner would make them nice year around. Armor is always a plus.

I have never had a problem with my alpinestar off road boots and I know they make a reliable product. Just looking for some other opinions.

-bryan

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I don't own those particular overpants, but I do have a set of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants. The MAIN reason for opting for the JR pants over other brands/models was how the sides of each leg unzipped almost to the waist, which made them SO easy to put on/take off (a la ski pants, I guess). Also, the large leg (thigh) pockets are at the front, not at the sides, which makes them very accessable. Absolutely waterproof as well.
I must say that the Alpinestars pants that you're looking at are very stylish looking at the pictures...arguably more so than my JR pants. Not only do the JR Ballistic 5.0 pants come in different leg lengths in the same waist size, but they also have two pockets for the knee armour...one higher and one lower for different leg lengths. That was also very important to me, being a short arse. :D

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I don't own those particular overpants, but I do have a set of Joe Rocket Ballistic 5.0 pants. The MAIN reason for opting for the JR pants over other brands/models was how the sides of each leg unzipped almost to the waist, which made them SO easy to put on/take off (a la ski pants, I guess). Also, the large leg (thigh) pockets are at the front, not at the sides, which makes them very accessable. Absolutely waterproof as well.
I must say that the Alpinestars pants that you're looking at are very stylish looking at the pictures...arguably more so than my JR pants. Not only do the JR Ballistic 5.0 pants come in different leg lengths in the same waist size, but they also have two pockets for the knee armour...one higher and one lower for different leg lengths. That was also very important to me, being a short arse. :D

I didnt think those pants were overpants? With the liners and such I figured that they werent.

Alpine' makes a similiar pant that is an overpant the zips up like you mentioned. One of my buddies has a pair and the zip up around the leg which is kinda neat. Like you said makes it easy to get in and out. He normally wears a pair of shorts or something under. Since he rides to class everday, rain or shine, he gets into class and just unzips the pants around his legs. The armor didnt seem to be all that much, so that is why I am trying to stay away from an over pant like that.

-bryan

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah...you're looking for riding pants, not overpants....sorry 'bout that. The Alpinestar pants in that case would be a great choice. I wonder how cool they would be in warm weather?

-PN-

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried a pair of these on and found the knee protection to be more like shin protection. Recommend you try some before u buy online.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried a pair of these on and found the knee protection to be more like shin protection. Recommend you try some before u buy online.

I wont be buying online. I just posted the link to show you the pant.

Was the pad to low? I thought I read where it said it was adjustable?

Not to sound wierd here, but what are your sizes? Im about 6' 1" 185 lbs. 34
waist and leg.

-bryan

-PN-

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a 6'5" and 170lbs and a 34 waist and 34/36 leg.

Don't think the knee protection can be moved / changed in these pants.