Custom Maps

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so I have spent the past couple of days playing around with google maps and it is a pretty neat set up they have there. If you havent already messed with it, it is worth looking at.

I have made several maps after the past few rides I have taken and its pretty easy to do. Just by doing the "get directions" function. You can make several different points along the way and move the line to the road you want to take google didnt select the one you wanted.

However after tonight I found that after about 13 stops the program doesnt seem to like adding any more stops or letting you move the roads around anymore as well. Not sure what is up with that.

I have posted the maps up on my blog, but another good use would be for tank bags. I am not sure what the size is for a tank bag map but I am sure with a little resizing work in photo shop you could easily make your own tank bag maps.

Check out my blog, link in sig, to see how it comes out.

-bryan

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bryan,
I've recently been playing around with TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) this uses google maps but has some really neat features, you can save in many GPS formats and as a KML (google maps/earth) file. To make a route you just click on waypoints and when finished let tyre calculate your route (I think using the Google maps engine). One of the great features is that you can print (or save) a route book (a sheet giving directions) which you can give to your co riders who don't have a GPS Navigation system (which they can put in their tank bags).
To get the most out of this program you need to install google earth, but it works just fine with google maps.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip Bryan! I have been trying to do this but can't get it to work so easily. When I make a destination point, the map doesn't see that as a point that I can use to get directions to or from.

The best way I have found to do this is to mark all of my turns with points, copy the coordinates of those points into excel, and then get directions between the coordinates. Is there an easier way?

For instance, here is a ride that I'm going to do right now:
Morning Ride

As you can see, I have a bunch of coordinates listed and directions between them. It would be handy to use the destination points that I made by name to get directions.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nevermind, I figured it out. Just right click on a turn and click "add destination". It will automatically give you directions from your last point.

Here's how it goes.

1. Find your start point on a map. Put your cursor there.
2. Right click and select "Directions From Here". Google will put a point there.
3. Go to the first turn, right click, and select "Directions To Here". Google will put a point there and give directions between the two.
4. Go to the next turn, right click, and select "Add Destination". Google will add that destination and give directions from the last point.

You can repeat step 4 until your route is complete. As Byran found out, there is a limit of the number of turns you can take.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chemiker, how did you get the foto's (film) added on the route? , or is that a standard feature with google maps ? it looks pretty professional that way :thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
You know GPS's are nice but I think they can take the fun out of riding. When we go out, all we carry with us as far as navigation goes, is a nice map. Its fun to see where you end up when you don't know where your going or where you are at.

-bryan

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Chemiker, how did you get the foto's (film) added on the route? , or is that a standard feature with google maps ? it looks pretty professional that way :thumbup:

Hey Martin, I'm assuming you mean the satellite image of the area, as opposed to the cartoon map?

In the window, in the upper right there are several choices for viewing. You can choose map, satellite, or terrain view. I think the default is satellite which does look professional and is handy to zoom in to see what you're looking at. I always switch back and forth to get a traditional map with street names and then an actual picture of the area.

Hope this helps!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Martin, I'm assuming you mean the satellite image of the area, as opposed to the cartoon map?

In the window, in the upper right there are several choices for viewing. You can choose map, satellite, or terrain view. I think the default is satellite which does look professional and is handy to zoom in to see what you're looking at. I always switch back and forth to get a traditional map with street names and then an actual picture of the area.

Hope this helps!

Travis,

Thanks for the explaination but I don't mean the changing of the map views.
If you click on one of the waypoint "baloons" on your route you get a forward view of the road you're driving on (in a seperate window). If you click the arrow on the road (in the film/photo window) you can drive forward, or turn using the direction arrows top left, it's pretty neat. I had never seen this before, I thought you may have added some (film) footage.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Travis,

Thanks for the explaination but I don't mean the changing of the map views.
If you click on one of the waypoint "baloons" on your route you get a forward view of the road you're driving on (in a seperate window). If you click the arrow on the road (in the film/photo window) you can drive forward, or turn using the direction arrows top left, it's pretty neat. I had never seen this before, I thought you may have added some (film) footage.

Oh I see! I was worried that I misunderstood you and I had. Sorry.

What you're seeing is a pretty cool feature called street view in google maps. I don't know very many technical details but here is what I heard.

Google had people mount 360 degree cameras on top of their cars and drive around to video streets from a car's eye view. They then took that footage and integrated it into their maps. They obviously haven't covered the world yet as this has only been going for a couple of years. Since Google is here in the bay area, I imagine that we are the most extensively covered region at the moment.

Hope I was able to help this time.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh I see! I was worried that I misunderstood you and I had. Sorry.

What you're seeing is a pretty cool feature called street view in google maps. I don't know very many technical details but here is what I heard.

Google had people mount 360 degree cameras on top of their cars and drive around to video streets from a car's eye view. They then took that footage and integrated it into their maps. They obviously haven't covered the world yet as this has only been going for a couple of years. Since Google is here in the bay area, I imagine that we are the most extensively covered region at the moment.

Hope I was able to help this time.

Thanks Travis, I think it must be starting in the states and it will probably make its way over here in a few years time, i had never seen it before, it's a really neat feature if you've got it :thumbup:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
You know GPS's are nice but I think they can take the fun out of riding. When we go out, all we carry with us as far as navigation goes, is a nice map. Its fun to see where you end up when you don't know where your going or where you are at.

-bryan

I like having the GPS as safety net to explore - I can leave, go down whatever roads look interesting in whatever direction with the comfort of knowing a couple of button pushes and I can get home from where ever I ended up.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a quick how to plan a ride with TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere)):
Open program and click on File in the menu, click on New.

View attachment 6509

To place a new waypoint just click on the map:

View attachment 6510

Click "add to itinerary" , then change waypoint name, if you want too, when happy with this waypoint click on the green tick button.:

View attachment 6511

When finished you should be able to see all your waypoints

View attachment 6512

If this is route you want simply click on the "CALCULATE" button (top left)

View attachment 6513

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not happy with the route it chooses you can place new waypoints or remove old ones and calculate again. Click Ok (bottom right) if this is correct.

If happy with the route it chooses all you need to do now is to "save as":

View attachment 6505

This does not cover all types of GPS format but you can use something like
ITNConv, to convert to the format you require.

If you click on the book icon whilst in the "calculate"screen (top left):

View attachment 6506

Then it will make a roadbook with directions which you can print for your friends:

View attachment 6507

Last edited:

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I drew up a really nice route on google maps with waypoints taking me down a lot of twisties, but I still stop at every state's welcome center for a free state map for when street names change and I get lost. :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I drew up a really nice route on google maps with waypoints taking me down a lot of twisties, but I still stop at every state's welcome center for a free state map for when street names change and I get lost. :D

Being a member of the ANWB (Dutch equivelent of AAA) I could pick up free state maps at the local AAA office (near the airport), but the welcome centre's had great reduction coupon books :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's another "How to" for the TYRE program mentioned earlier in this thread.
Just as a reminder to do this you need to download and install TYRE and google earth.
How to open a route in the tyre online database

Start the program TYRE and select TOOLS in the pull down menu. Then select download routes

View attachment 13836

Select a country in the left hand list, then select a route (by clicking on its name) choose open in the message box (sorry my message box is in Dutch)

View attachment 13837

Then you will see the route listing, click on the top left button, show route, this is an icon of a world with a bit of red on it.

View attachment 13841

Then you will see the route on the map.

View attachment 13839

Last edited: