Cross winds !!

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Was doing about 90 mph yesterday in probably at the worse 20knot winds ..

Rode over quite a large motorway bridge and felt like I was gonna get blown off :(

I was having to really lean into it !!

I hugged the tank (for dear life! ) and leant a bit more but was still crapping myself.... As I was doing it a Suzuki Bandit zoomed by me doing Possibly 120-130 mph :eek: That boy had balls of steel ;)

Or is it a lot more stable at speed in those conditions ??

Any horror stories with high winds ??? I hate it :mad:

Last edited:

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you seen the Squid quiz yet? I think 'Bandit Boy' defienes the term :)

I was hoping that BanditBoy was being a nutter and I wasn't just being a scaredy cat :)

The same bike passed me in Hull about an hour earlier ... In and out of loads of traffic like he was rossi on amphetamines ;)

I still hate strong winds though !!!! no fun at all !!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I took a 150 mile ride today and the wind was howling. I was doing 85 on I295(which has several overpasses) and got blown all over the place. It was the first time I actually slowed down and got in the turtle lane. Once I was on the twisties the wind was a non issue though so the day went well.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my quote from the What's your #1 Fear or Hazard thread? "I actually fear the wind, just because the wind is unpredictable." So the wind is my biggest fear/hazard.

S

sportrider

I don't mind the wind that much, I gets so windy here sometimes it will cause a sand out. at first it made my nervous, now I'm used to it and compensate automatically. I find higher speeds smooth things out noticeably.

:Sport:

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I have hit gusts of wind that have blown me across all lanes of traffic. Very scary...of coarse maybe hurricane season isnt the best time to ride.......

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I have hit gusts of wind that have blown me across all lanes of traffic. Very scary...of coarse maybe hurricane season isnt the best time to ride.......

Its not nice !! especially for a new rider to experience :eek:

Here's the nasty bridge ... and my lovely bike :)

watermark.php

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm new too. One of the most important things I've read online is to keep the throttle on and NOT slow down. Even in a situation on a turn...its better to lean the bike too much than brake at times.

delboy

Reaction score
Visit site
When i had my Transalp, i was very nervous of going out on a windy day. It seemed to be very badly affected by wind. I used to always slow down, which didn't really help. after a while i started to go out on gradually windier and windier days and this really helped me get to the stage where the wind doesn't really bother me now. The fazer doesn't get half as blown around as the Honda, which has helped even more. :D I think, at the end of the day, it's experience that will help most! :thumbup:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I have found a windy day just makes a ride a little more interesting! We have gotten used to riding on windy days. I have never been blown out of my lane, but I have had to use the entire lane during a windy/gusty day. My wife didn't like the wind when she first started riding, but now she has experience in it, and doesn't mind. We do slow down according to the gustiness or strength of the wind. We do seek cover if the winds get 50 mph or above. On some trips we have tried to punch through some thunderstorms and had to stop due to hail or extreme winds. My wife and I once passed through the Texas town of Hico during an intense thunderstorm. We pulled out of town and out of the storm (which had 50mph+ winds) and stopped to take our rain suits off. There had been a County Sheriff Deputy following us through town, through the storm. He stopped with us and was white as a sheet. He said he couldn't believe that the three of us got by that tornado before it crossed the road! My wife and looked at each other and just about crapped our pants! We never saw it! We don't punch through big thunderstorms anymore!:eek::eek:

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site
when we rode down to WSM we had to cross the River Severn on the M5 and it was blowing a good un the worst bit was coming out of the shelter of an artic and copping not only its side draft but the wind as well we stopped at the services just after for a nice strong coffee and when we got to WSM we almost gt blown home by the wnd whipping in off the sea

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Almost up to my 2000 mile mark now on my trusty FZ6 and I can certainly say that the winds are no longer too much of an issue !!

I still get a little twitched with a big gust on the bridge I mentioned, but overall I think it now adds to the fun :)

Rode through some awful weather in Derbyshire last week and the winds were probably up to 50kts ... The bloody rain was the main issue !!

C'est La Vie ;)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
when we rode down to WSM we had to cross the River Severn on the M5 and it was blowing a good un the worst bit was coming out of the shelter of an artic and copping not only its side draft but the wind as well we stopped at the services just after for a nice strong coffee and when we got to WSM we almost gt blown home by the wnd whipping in off the sea

I thought it might be helpful to offer up a rough translation of the above:-

While riding our bikes down the M5 freeway on the way to Weston-Super-Mare, it was quite windy crossing the Severn Bridge. The worst part of crossing the bridge was after moving out of the shelter of a semi-trailer, whereupon we not only had to deal with the side-draft from the semi, but also the wind as well.
We stopped for a coffee.
On the way back from Weston-Super-Mare, we were almost blown home on our bikes by the wind off the sea.
:p:D
(I've ridden over the Severn bridge when it's "blowing"....very exciting :eek: )

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site

While riding our bikes down the M5 freeway on the way to Weston-Super-Mare, it was quite windy crossing the Severn Bridge. The worst part of crossing the bridge was after moving out of the shelter of a semi-trailer, whereupon we not only had to deal with the side-draft from the semi, but also the wind as well.
We stopped for a coffee.
On the way back from Weston-Super-Mare, we were almost blown home on our bikes by the wind off the sea.
(I've ridden over the Severn bridge when it's "blowing"....very exciting :eek: )

Excellent translation !! ;)

hobbit

Short fat and hairy :))))
Reaction score
Visit site

We stopped for a coffee.
supberb when did you learn brummie:thumbup: