Handlebar high-frequency vibration?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm finding it a little troublsome that after about half an hour of riding on my FZ6, my right thumb and parts of my right hand are starting to go numb from high-frequency vibration through the bars and grip. At first I thought that I was gripping the throttle to0 tightly, but even "over" relaxing my grip doesn't seem to help.
Has anyone installed aftermarket grips that deaden the vibes?

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm finding it a little troublsome that after about half an hour of riding on my FZ6, my right thumb and parts of my right hand are starting to go numb from high-frequency vibration through the bars and grip. At first I thought that I was gripping the throttle to0 tightly, but even "over" relaxing my grip doesn't seem to help.
Has anyone installed aftermarket grips that deaden the vibes?

Don't seem to have that problem on the blue one :rockon:

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same problem. I have found myself actually leaning forward on the bars putting too much weight on my hands. I don't realize that I am doing this until my hand actually gets numb. I just let go with my right hand let it hang down for about 5 seconds and shake it off.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
The easiest fix is buy gloves that have the gel in the palm of them. They work great and are easier to put on than new grips!:thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its been said in the oily posts that switching to a synthetic oil/lighter weight also eases the vibration, especially compared to the original yamalube 20w40; you might try that.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
You can also try: THESE

Even though I never had vibration issues, I love the feel of these... and for $9.00, they're worth it!

Also, I don`t think it's the vibs that are making your hand numb, it's more likely your tight grip or riding position... try to relax and ride more! :rockon:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice..very much appreciated.
My son suggested that I might have Carpal Tunnel Sydndrome in my right arm/hand. I certainly hope that's not the case.:(
As I mentioned, even when I just lay my right hand on top of the grip with my fingers over the front brake, and my thumb curled up over the grip, the vibration still seems to numb my thumb and fingers.
The left side's ok.:confused:

S

sportrider

you should be supporting your upper body with your thighs and back. numbness or arm pump is caused by to much weight on your wrists and/or holding on to tight. if you find yourself locking your arms your using the wrong limbs to support you!!! :thumbup:

Neil

Hooligan
Reaction score
Visit site
My son suggested that I might have Carpal Tunnel Sydndrome in my right arm/hand. I certainly hope that's not the case.:(
The left side's ok.:confused:

Welcome to the club :banghead:
I am waiting for a referral to the orthopedic surgeon at the moment.
In the past, on other bikes I have had success with Renthal alloy bars, together with the heaviest bar end weights you can find.
Just waiting for my bar ends to be powder coated and then I will fit the bars to my FZ.

Neil. :thumbup:

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time i have problems with my hands going numb is when my girlfriend is on the back. It forces me to put weight on my hands. I normally ride with my palms, though this ends up pinching the calluses on my hands just below my fingers.

I really need to get her a bike of her own:thumbup:

gr8eyes

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had my bike for 2 days so I can't speak from first hand experience with the FZ6 but I do have some experince with this problem on the FJR.

I would do this in this order:

-make sure the motor mounts are torqued correctly
-Synch the throttlebodies
-Get the grip puppies. They are real nice especially if you have larger hands
-Get heavy bar end weights........You might consider Throtlemeister as its
a throttle lock and thus can give your hand a rest.
-Vista cruise- if you don't get the throttlemeister
-Iridium plugs

Hope this helps

Glenn

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Its been said in the oily posts that switching to a synthetic oil/lighter weight also eases the vibration, especially compared to the original yamalube 20w40; you might try that.

Check your oil levels as well. My dealer over-filled the oil so I removed some to a level between the marks and this removed some of the vibration.

Last edited: