How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

How many miles did you get out of your Stock Rear Tire?

• Less than 3001 miles

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 3001 - 6000 miles

Votes: 31 27.4%
  • 6001 - 9000 miles

Votes: 49 43.4%
  • 9001 - 12,000 miles

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • 12,001 - 15,000 miles

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 15,000+ miles

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been surprised how quickly some people wear out their stock tires, but I also understand some people are much more aggressive in their riding than I am. I'm wondering how many miles did you get out of your stock tires? For this poll, we're using the Rear Tire.

I got 10,800 on the stock rear tire.
I got 17,000 on the stock front tire.

Oh, please note this is the first time I've attempted a poll, so I hope I don't scr3w it up!

Last edited:

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
How bald do you run the tyres? 10,800 miles must have been a total slick when it was changed. As soon as mine hits 1 to 1.6mm in the middle its changed. Will need a new one when the bike hits 4000 miles

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
here in ny the tire is no longer legal once it is less than 2/32 of an inch. so that is when i took mine off it was at 3700 miles

GodSpeedLuc

Reaction score
Visit site
why does it always seem to be roofing nails??? are roofers just lazy pos's?

:rof:

how do you tell that they are roofing nails anyway? but yeah, things fall off of vehicles sometimes and its unfortunate but it can happen. we do our part extensively in ensuring it doesnt but it cant be perfect (road construction-dump trucks carrying materials, etc...) getting complaints from drivers with broken windshields; you shouldnt be following that close to be affected anyway! nails are a diferent story tho...

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
why does it always seem to be roofing nails??? are roofers just lazy pos's?

Get a quote for a roof and look in the back of the roofers truck when they come. I did just yesterday at my parents house. I would never want to ride behind that guys truck. Old nails, screws, whatever all just in the back loose and sliding around.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as construction vehicles you dont have to be following them at all i got a cracked windsheild while in north carolina the stone came over the median that is usually when you get them they come off something heading the other way.

W

wrightme43

There are two different stock tires.

Riding style.
Road material.
Temp of the pavement.
Air pressure.
Rider mass.
And of course the tread depth that they are replaced at.

I dont let them get all the way to the wear bars.

AgentW

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike's restricted which means there's a lot less power going through the back wheels. The lack of the real fast acceleration should mean I get more miles. I've done 3,500 miles so far and the tyre still looks mint.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike's restricted which means there's a lot less power going through the back wheels. The lack of the real fast acceleration should mean I get more miles. I've done 3,500 miles so far and the tyre still looks mint.

Mine did too and then it started wearing faster. I have the bridgestones.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
I think its important to specify which tire you have! I had the Dunlop D252 and it was done at around 4000miles, it was slick in the middle :D

S

sportrider

on my stock D252's I got about 3200 miles (I think) I average about 3000 miles on a set of tires the best was 4500 miles out of my last set of Pilot Powers. the worst was 2900 miles on a set of shinko 005's. but I ride a lot of high speed at high temps, on concrete. I firmly believe it's more of a where you ride then how (burn outs, track days, canyon straifing excluded) as well as the type of tire you choose. touring-vs-sport.

Troubl

On the Group W bench
Reaction score
Visit site
How bald do you run the tyres? 10,800 miles must have been a total slick when it was changed.

Used my tire until the wear indicators showed it was time to replace them. On the front tire, it still had more life left (and it was at 17,800), but I was about to leave on my trip to Tennessee and wanted fresh rubber.

Oh and I was running the Dunlop D252 tires.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
3000 miles out of the stock dunlops and a pilot Power. I have a right wrist problem (don't know not to use it) plus mostly mountain twisty riding. Rarely use the brake when riding a swift pace which means the tire is working just as hard on decelration as when under power. Flip side of low miles is tons of smiles, eh?

Just put a Pilot road on the rear with the Pilot power up front. The Road seems to stick just as well and should up my milage by a few thousand between changes.

Don't be cheap and ride a tire until cords unless of course your butt isn't worth much.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My stock bridgstones had 10,000 miles when I changed them. It wasn't quite to the wear bars yet, but it had a HUGE strip down the center from constant highway riding which made it squirrelly in turns.