Help, my bike won't start

BayArea FZ6 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,
I tried to ride my bike today and it won't start. All I can think of is what I did last week. Last Wednesday I washed my FZ6. I was doing my best to be careful not to wet too much and I dried it the best I could. I didn't start it afterwards and instead I just moved it into my garage. This morning it won't start and every time I hit the starter I hear a crackling noise and the dash screen resets itself. I do get a message on the speedometer screen: Err_1
This is the first time I wash my bike since I got it last year. What should I do? Any advice will help.

Thanks,

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
What should I do?
Wash it more often!

Sorry, that's not very helpful. :ban:

Your bike should deff be able to handle a good washing. Modern bikes (all bikes?) do fine in the rain, so you've got a problem of some sort. Is it under warranty? Is parked on or near a hill? Do you know how to pop the clutch? That may not work if it's shorting out somewhere.

(edit: After further contemplation I guess popping the clutch isn't likely to help in your situation. But if you do try I'm guessing 2nd gear is the best starting point. 1st may just cause your rear wheel to lock and slide.)

Last edited:

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
The Er-1 code is a diagnostic code that occurs when no signal is received from the ecu. Some of the problems could be a short in your circuitry, a malfunction in the ecu, or a malfunction in the meter. Water getting into your connections could certainly have caused this problem.

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site
Try disconnecting the battery and leave it off for at least 1/2 hr, this will reset everything in the ECU and it might start.

dickieD

Reaction score
Visit site
put your key to the on position and kill switch on... put it in first and push the bike up to 5mph.. and pop the clutch.. and it should start.. if it doesnt.. then as said ealier ..it might be your ecu..

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a stupid suggestion but obvious stuff first - is the battery dead or drained enough to not start anyway?
I accidentally left my key in on after moving it around in the driveway for about 45 min - still had dashlights when I realized but it wouldn't start - put in on the battery tender for bit and it's been fine since.

Shafe716

Reaction score
Visit site
I would definately check the battery. I had the exact same thing happen to me shortly after getting mine. I took it over to a friends house to show it off, when I killed the engine I heard the fan running so I thought it would be a good idea to let it cool off while I went into his house to get him. The key was left on with the headlamp and everything on for less than 15 minutes, when I came back and tried to start it the very same things you're describing happend. rapid clicking, display reset. After much panicing I used a circuit tester on it and it was only putting out 10 or 11 amps (can't remember exactly) and it needs 13 to start normally. I put it on a charger for 20 mins and started like a dream.

Hope that helps:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I would bet a G that if I had the opportunity to check the battery terminal connections for corrosion and then push start it in 2nd gear you'd be on you way.

This is very common...I've had it happen too many times and I'm still rocking my OEM battery (2004 FZ6). First time this happended to me was after a long ride in the rain, followed by letting the bike sit for two weeks due to a flat I got during that rainy ride. Every other time it's been because the terminal connections rattled loose or I left the key on.

good luck