Sticker removal

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone got any ideas on how to get stickers off the tank without scratching it ?? I have an awful dealer sticker warning you to read the instruction manual before riding ... Ok I have done that so I want the notice off lol

I tried peeling it off from a corner but it just pulled a plastic type coating off :(

Any tried and tested products to get rid of this folks ?

:confused:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
I used my fingernail, goo gone and a soft towel. No scratches, but it took a really long time to get it all off.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Mineral Spirits (basically turpentine)....brilliant stuff really. It'll take any adhesive off with out harming your paint. I've used it on both my car and bike with no damage.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I started by using a finger nail, but it began to hurt & the sticker was all scraped at that point. I ended up using a B&Q kitchen cabinet levelling wedge. Basically a lump of softish plastic with a clean edge, an old credit card would probably do. Patience is the essesence, just gentle work at the edge. WD40 is really useful as it removes the adhesive, which tends to pill up &/or smear as you work on the label - soft cloth, squirt of WD40 & just wipe off the adhesive & bits of label.

While on the subject of WD40:

WD-40 WD40uk HOME UK

Eviloliv3

I'm here for the women
Reaction score
Visit site
fingernail and alcohol pads. fingernail to get off the sticker and the alcohol pads to wipe off. got em all cept for the emissions tag, that ones a bitch

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks fellas ... A few good ideas there .. Bikes in for its 1st service til tomoro anyhow so i'll have to wait to try them out .. got both pure alcohol and wd40 so should crack it somehow :)

Beautiful day .... I'm stuck at work and bikes in the garage :(

Roll on Tuesday ... 5 days off :Flash:

C Zer

Minnesota Bound
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a hair dryer to heat the stickers up, which helps some, and a fingernail. Goo Gone and a soft towel to get the residual sticky goop off.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Use a hair drier to heat up the sticker..it peels off quite easily once it's warmed up. Use the heat with a measure of prudence on gas tank stickers, of course. ;)
Then use WD40 or a product called "Goo-Gone" to remove the adhesive residue on the tank or other metal.

Edited: I see that C Zer just beat me to the hair drier... :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mineral Spirits (basically turpentine)....brilliant stuff really. It'll take any adhesive off with out harming your paint. I've used it on both my car and bike with no damage.
That's what I used, worked great and I didn't have to buy anything.

The stuff that works well for price tags, old masking tape, etc is... peanut butter! Smear it on, leave it overnight, and glue goo comes right off. It did not work on my bike's decals, however, probably because the adhesive is water-/oil-proof. But the mineral spirits worked fine.

Gdubya

Reaction score
Visit site
For sticker removal I always use the stuff I used for same purpose at work a long time. Called Un-Du, and it come swith its own plastic scraper to use at the same time you put stuff under the edge of the sticker. Used to remove the hard-to-get-off corporate asset tags, and never left a scratch on anything. You can get it off ebay if need be.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
I used a hair dryer to heat the stickers up, which helps some, and a fingernail. Goo Gone and a soft towel to get the residual sticky goop off.

Tried this method ... :Flash:

Hair dryer ... quick peel then wd40 to get rid of residue goo ....

Thanks fellas ... I now have a shiney stickerless tank :thumbup:

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice post here! :)

To be honest, I've been riding my 125cc for almost 2 years and my stickers are still on....at least it has reminded me for the past few thousand miles to read the owners manual and to fill with only unleaded petrol! :)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mall security just tagged my bike last night for illegal parking. It didn't get towed but they put a warning sticker on my clear plastic windshield. I tried to remove it today with my sticker removal chemical and it just made it worse. The chemical has totally smeared the color of the sticker to my windshield. The sticker removal worked great on my tank, but since this is plasitic, it actually made the matter worse. Any ideas on how to clean this up? I was planning to buy a new windshield anyway, but it looks like crap at the moment. I'm waiting for the swingshift security supervisor to call me back tonight for possible reimbursement, but I'm not too optimistic. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks